Anyone have experience of Care Agencies on the Isle of Wight

JimB

Jun 29, 2015
Hi,
I have not posted for a while, apologies. I am still looking after mum who has now lost her sight completely and has been officially diagnosed with vascular dementia six months ago (no surprise there as I had guessed this last year).
Since April the carer visits have increased to three a day with two carers each time as mum has to be hoisted to the chair/commode etc.
Had trouble with the agency sending a male carer to assist and my mum did not like the idea of a strange man being in the room while she was having personal care.
Now SS are looking to change agencies - does anyone have any good/bad experience with agencies on the Isle of Wight. I know it is a bit of a long shot but you never know. One positive thing is that I will be having a visit from an Admiral nurse to discuss things.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Hi,
I have not posted for a while, apologies. I am still looking after mum who has now lost her sight completely and has been officially diagnosed with vascular dementia six months ago (no surprise there as I had guessed this last year).
Since April the carer visits have increased to three a day with two carers each time as mum has to be hoisted to the chair/commode etc.
Had trouble with the agency sending a male carer to assist and my mum did not like the idea of a strange man being in the room while she was having personal care.
Now SS are looking to change agencies - does anyone have any good/bad experience with agencies on the Isle of Wight. I know it is a bit of a long shot but you never know. One positive thing is that I will be having a visit from an Admiral nurse to discuss things.

Brilliant we've got an Admiral Nurse now. Lady Grylls has worked so hard for it. Particularly if you've been referred to her.

We've tried a few and if you're getting carers 3 times a day regularly you might be better to stick with them. Some are better than others, but it mainly boils down to the actual carers working for them at any time.

Our friend whose wife had a stroke 6 years ago and also needs a hoist has given up completely on agencies as often they failed to turn up, or were late or just one etc. etc. and now does it all himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimB

Jun 29, 2015
Brilliant we've got an Admiral Nurse now. Lady Grylls has worked so hard for it. Particularly if you've been referred to her.

In my experience there are no 'good' agencies on the IoW. Most treat their staff appallingly and so they move on after a while.

We've tried a few and if you're getting carers 3 times a day regularly you might be better to stick with them. Some are better than others, but it mainly boils down to the actual carers working for them at any time.

Our friend whose wife had a stroke 6 years ago and also needs a hoist has given up completely on agencies as often they failed to turn up, or were late or just one etc. etc. and now does it all himself.

Thank you so much for your reply, I half guessed as much. Do you have regular communication with the Admiral nurse or is it just a one-off meeting ?. Agreed that Lady Grylls has worked tirelessly to get five nurses on the Island now. I have found the helpline very good when I have wanted some advice.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Thank you so much for your reply, I half guessed as much. Do you have regular communication with the Admiral nurse or is it just a one-off meeting ?. Agreed that Lady Grylls has worked tirelessly to get five nurses on the Island now. I have found the helpline very good when I have wanted some advice.

No idea how it works with an Admiral nurse. They are pretty new to the Island and considering the number of sufferers they will be pretty stretched.
Remember they've only been 'in post' a couple of weeks though, so will be 'feeling their way' too.

JimB

Jun 29, 2015
No idea how it works with an Admiral nurse. They are pretty new to the Island and considering the number of sufferers they will be pretty stretched.
Remember they've only been 'in post' a couple of weeks though, so will be 'feeling their way' too.

Yes they certainly will be stretched. I expect it will be a few weeks before there is any contact.

JimB

Jun 29, 2015
Admiral nurse rang today and appointment made for 11th October - shows how busy they are !.