What happens if a CH says they can't meet needs

Bugsbunny4

Nov 6, 2015
Yorkshire
Hi,
It's a worrying time for me, not that it's ever not worrying, but my husband has created a safeguarding issue with another resident. The resident was not hurt and of course my husband has no recollection.
The home have requested a review of my husband from the mental health team. The incident happened two weeks ago and we are still waiting. I really don't want my husband to be moved on as he is now really settled and feels comfortable.
Has anyone any experience of this type of situation? I am really scared of what may happen.
As far as I know the CH hasn't said they can no longer meet his needs but each day when I read his folder I can see that there have been other incidents where he has been shouting at one resident in particular.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello bugsbunny,
This happens all the time in my husbands CH, they Mental health Dr is called in to change medication, no one has ever been moved, some residents are very aggressive, including my husband, the carer's are so good, always seem to calm them down. Try not to worry, l know it is not easy.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Hello bugsbunny
There have been many incidents concerning my husband in the care home, where he has lashed out at another resident, or a cleaner. They did call a medical team in once and he was tried on risperidone, but it didn't suit him, so now he is just on memantine and lorazepan when necessary.

The cases involving other residents were where they were both being aggressive or confrontational, and mostly this behaviour is prevented by constant observation, and preventing any incident before it happens. I have been assured that he will not be evicted from the home due to this, and it is really a very good home for dealing with challenging behaviour - the staff are highly trained in dementia care and have great patience and kindness.

I am sure a review will be just to consider a change of medication, or even more 1:1 care, so please try not to worry too much

Bugsbunny4

Nov 6, 2015
Yorkshire
Hello bugsbunny,
This happens all the time in my husbands CH, they Mental health Dr is called in to change medication, no one has ever been moved, some residents are very aggressive, including my husband, the carer's are so good, always seem to calm them down. Try not to worry, l know it is not easy.

Thankyou for responding. I hope you are right but I do know that in the past residents have been moved on. My husband mystifies the management of the home because aggressive behaviour is usually apparent all the time and in my husbands case he is fine 99% of the time but unpredictable at times. He is the only resident they have had with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's. X

Bugsbunny4

Nov 6, 2015
Yorkshire
Hello bugsbunny
There have been many incidents concerning my husband in the care home, where he has lashed out at another resident, or a cleaner. They did call a medical team in once and he was tried on risperidone, but it didn't suit him, so now he is just on memantine and lorazepan when necessary.

The cases involving other residents were where they were both being aggressive or confrontational, and mostly this behaviour is prevented by constant observation, and preventing any incident before it happens. I have been assured that he will not be evicted from the home due to this, and it is really a very good home for dealing with challenging behaviour - the staff are highly trained in dementia care and have great patience and kindness.

I am sure a review will be just to consider a change of medication, or even more 1:1 care, so please try not to worry too much
Hello,
Thanks for your reply I hope it all settles down without any major changes. Sometimes I find myself feeling completely helpless it's like fighting cotton wool x