Rescue remedy

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Has anyone found rescue remedy any help for anxiety on the part of the person they are caring for? I've just seen ordered one for me but I suddenly wondered if it would help Mick. So, as always, I thought I'd ask my TP friends.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Has anyone found rescue remedy any help for anxiety on the part of the person they are caring for? I've just seen ordered one for me but I suddenly wondered if it would help Mick. So, as always, I thought I'd ask my TP friends.

It can't do any harm, so nothing to lose, but hope it helps if you do try it.
Best wishes
Sue:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I never used it with Bill.

I've the spray and pastilles over the last week or so. I don't know if it helped me or not. I tried to believe it was helping!

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
I've tried it on Mum during a couple of bigger than usual anxiety attacks. It didn't make any difference so I pursuaded her to come out for a short walk each time. That and an awful lot of reassurance seemed to do her more good. That said, I know a couple of people who take it when they get pannicky (neither has dementia) and they swear by it.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have been using Rescue remedy for a few months, originally bought for mum but did not seem to make a difference to her anxiety, so I use this one on my bad days. Started giving mum Rescue night a few months ago, I think its helping. Also using their Mimulus remedy for anxiety separation-this I can see does help a little because on the days I forget to put in her drink she is extremely anxious. I also have the Walnut remedy but I have forgotten why I bought this one!! so will have to look it up again. Having tried them I do not intend to stop.

It will not hurt to try. Mum's gp gave me the go ahead, but I think he is a little sceptical about it all.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I have been using Rescue remedy for a few months, originally bought for mum but did not seem to make a difference to her anxiety, so I use this one on my bad days. Started giving mum Rescue night a few months ago, I think its helping. Also using their Mimulus remedy for anxiety separation-this I can see does help a little because on the days I forget to put in her drink she is extremely anxious. I also have the Walnut remedy but I have forgotten why I bought this one!! so will have to look it up again. Having tried them I do not intend to stop.

It will not hurt to try. Mum's gp gave me the go ahead, but I think he is a little sceptical about it all.

Thanks, Trish4 for this thread and Tin for your post, I need to dig mine out and try taking them again more specifically, I have used them in the past but was too ill to know what difference they made. I think Honeysuckle and walnut are when someone seems stuck in past memories.

Edward Bach's writings are very interesting.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thanks, Trish4 for this thread and Tin for your post, I need to dig mine out and try taking them again more specifically, I have used them in the past but was too ill to know what difference they made. I think Honeysuckle and walnut are when someone seems stuck in past memories.

Edward Bach's writings are very interesting.

That was it Sue and the reason I still have the bottle is because it did not help, silly me I thought it would stop all those sad memories that mum used to have.

Agree with you, very interesting reading.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I never used it with Bill.

I've the spray and pastilles over the last week or so. I don't know if it helped me or not. I tried to believe it was helping!

It was a remark you made about it Izzy that reminded me of it. My mother used to use it. I am reacting a little with my breathing to selling our old house, selling Mick's vintage car in the garage there, planning our holiday and coping with Mick in general terms although I hesitate to say that given what you have been dealing with Izzy.

Marylil52

Mar 26, 2015
I've tried it on Mum during a couple of bigger than usual anxiety attacks. It didn't make any difference so I pursuaded her to come out for a short walk each time. That and an awful lot of reassurance seemed to do her more good. That said, I know a couple of people who take it when they get pannicky (neither has dementia) and they swear by it.

I quite agree re going out for a walk. It has worked very often indeed with D. The change of scenery and also, I think, the physiological effects of exercise both make a difference. And also they help to tire him a bit, and so calm down.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Hi, Trisha and everyone,

Wow; I thought I was the only one who believed in "Magic Medicine"!

I do find Rescue Remedy helpful for myself if tense and my dogs during thunderstorms, seriously.

However, the best remedy for my husband is Vine (kind of for Type A, Dictatorial behavior). It is ASTOUNDING how it helps him settle down. Heather (self-centered talking) and Beech (critical of others), Chicory (constantly needing attention/self-pity) also work well for him. I just use as needed, 4 drops in his water in the morning and once again in the evening, if needed.

HOWEVER, I can say either the remedies have worked their magic or the progress of the disease has softened him in the last few months, so this is rarely necessary now, but in the past was a lifesaver. I do not for the life of me understand exactly HOW these work, only that they do. There are several helpful books to help you select the right remedy for the right "state of mind."

Another good one is from another company, called "Self Heal"--it comes in drops or as a cream and I found it to help my husband reach a calm place, when taken daily in hs water. It's a good one to use if you don't have the time to study remedies extensively. Good insurance : )

I hope you're able to give relief. It's a godsend (thank you Dr. Bach!). If I hadn't experienced these myself, I'd never believe it!

---
Edited to add a PS: I hadn't thought of it earlier, but I have some "spray" flower remedies in my kitchen cabinet that have "rescued" me, as a Carer, multiple times. They're from a company called "Flower Essence Services" and one is called
1. "Illumine" (description on the label: "Allowing the Light of Understanding to transform Discouragement & Depression" and
2. "Post-Trauma Stabilizer" (to recover and rebuild from shock & trauma)

If you're a Carer, you've been both places, right All? So have our Loved Ones.

I buy mine at a company called IHerb dot com; a few sprays under the tongue have saved many a day for me.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Izzy, I took rescue remedy after OH died for several months. I don't know whether it helped, but I didn't feel so bad. I found the pastilles when I was shopping one day and have only just cut down a bit on them!

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi, Trisha and everyone,

Wow; I thought I was the only one who believed in "Magic Medicine"!

I do find Rescue Remedy helpful for myself if tense and my dogs during thunderstorms, seriously.

However, the best remedy for my husband is Vine (kind of for Type A, Dictatorial behavior). It is ASTOUNDING how it helps him settle down. Heather (self-centered talking) and Beech (critical of others), Chicory (constantly needing attention/self-pity) also work well for him. I just use as needed, 4 drops in his water in the morning and once again in the evening, if needed.

HOWEVER, I can say either the remedies have worked their magic or the progress of the disease has softened him in the last few months, so this is rarely necessary now, but in the past was a lifesaver. I do not for the life of me understand exactly HOW these work, only that they do. There are several helpful books to help you select the right remedy for the right "state of mind."

Another good one is from another company, called "Self Heal"--it comes in drops or as a cream and I found it to help my husband reach a calm place, when taken daily in hs water. It's a good one to use if you don't have the time to study remedies extensively. Good insurance : )

I hope you're able to give relief. It's a godsend (thank you Dr. Bach!). If I hadn't experienced these myself, I'd never believe it!

---
Edited to add a PS: I hadn't thought of it earlier, but I have some "spray" flower remedies in my kitchen cabinet that have "rescued" me, as a Carer, multiple times. They're from a company called "Flower Essence Services" and one is called
1. "Illumine" (description on the label: "Allowing the Light of Understanding to transform Discouragement & Depression" and
2. "Post-Trauma Stabilizer" (to recover and rebuild from shock & trauma)

If you're a Carer, you've been both places, right All? So have our Loved Ones.

I buy mine at a company called IHerb dot com; a few sprays under the tongue have saved many a day for me.

Willow Tree I love this, thank you so much. I will certainly investigate. Anything that makes our paths easier, if only a little, is appreciated.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I have never heard of Rescue Remedy or any of the other things mentioned in this thread - thank you all for so much helpful info, I'll need to do some reading - really appreciate everyone's input.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Rescue and vine are called "Bach florals".

According to a friend of mine who is an homeopathy doctor (and psychiatric) florals could do great things but when they do wrong they can do big damage. (That were hard for him to fix). He advised me not to use, but if I were going to use, use it rarely, just for real emergencies.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
That was it Sue and the reason I still have the bottle is because it did not help, silly me I thought it would stop all those sad memories that mum used to have.QUOTE]

used to have
maybe it did help Tin, if she doesn't have them anymore?

The main principle of Bach's remedies is about treating the person and not the disease.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Rescue and vine are called "Bach florals".

According to a friend of mine who is an homeopathy doctor (and psychiatric) florals could do great things but when they do wrong they can do big damage. (That were hard for him to fix). He advised me not to use, but if I were going to use, use it rarely, just for real emergencies.

Hi, Br_Rana--

I know what you mean.

It's useful to read some of the literature on the flower remedies. There's a very user-friendly book by an author named Mathild Scheffer called "Bach Flower Therapy Theory and Practice" that helps you select the proper remedy and explains how they work, theoretically, and explains a bit about Dr. Bach's viewpoint.

This is no criticism of you at all, but I would dispute, respectfully, your homeopath's claim that "when they do wrong they can do big damage." I truly, truly believe that is untrue, EXCEPT it MIGHT have damaged his/her business if too many people learned about them : )

My physician is the same--he's an intelligent man and I like him very much, but he does not even believe supplements like Vitamin C actually help anything. I, on the other hand, use supplements daily and feel I've benefitted greatly from them (in excellent health, thank goodness, caregiving stress and all). We have a running joke between us--we call my medicine "My Placebo Cures." And he's gradually coming around to my way of thinking, as he digests my phenomenol HDL readings, LOL, and has watched me use my "placebo medicine" shrink a multinodal goiter (thyroid) he thought could only be surgically removed. Live and Learn, I say, kindly : )

It has been my experience and those of others, that when you select the "wrong" or "inappropriate" remedy, all that happens is *nothing* --- no improvement, but no harm, either. This is stated in some of the literature, too, but the thing that's convinced me most about the value of "flowers" is their phenomenol effects on ANIMALS. The animals can't know what the "placebo cure" is supposed to do, but I've definitely seen the calming effects of Rescue Remedy on my dogs.

I would say the one time they won't work is for "dedicated skeptics" and that's OK, too. My husband was one of those, till I slipped the drops in his water one day then he told me that afternoon he felt tremendously better, what had we done? I then showed him the bottle (self heal drops) and told him I did it without his knowledge, simply because I knew he'd tell me "that will never work." He laughed and said, "keep doing what you're doing--I believe it helped me. And you're right, you could have never convinced me."

I don't really think any ONE thing is "the" cure for anything, but in my experience, the flower essences can have amazing effects. My Illumine and Trauma Stabilizer are my 911's (I guess that's 999's in Britain)!

I would so love to see physicians learn to open their minds and hearts to alternatives, particularly for our Loved Ones trapped in the dementia whirlpool. Perhaps, one day, it will happen.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Willow Tree I love this, thank you so much. I will certainly investigate. Anything that makes our paths easier, if only a little, is appreciated.

You're very welcome; I do hope they help you as they've helped me.

Just like our Forum; Share and Care!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi, Br_Rana--

I know what you mean.

It's useful to read some of the literature on the flower remedies. There's a very user-friendly book by an author named Mathild Scheffer called "Bach Flower Therapy Theory and Practice" that helps you select the proper remedy and explains how they work, theoretically, and explains a bit about Dr. Bach's viewpoint.

This is no criticism of you at all, but I would dispute, respectfully, your homeopath's claim that "when they do wrong they can do big damage." I truly, truly believe that is untrue, EXCEPT it MIGHT have damaged his/her business if too many people learned about them : )

My physician is the same--he's an intelligent man and I like him very much, but he does not even believe supplements like Vitamin C actually help anything. I, on the other hand, use supplements daily and feel I've benefitted greatly from them (in excellent health, thank goodness, caregiving stress and all). We have a running joke between us--we call my medicine "My Placebo Cures." And he's gradually coming around to my way of thinking, as he digests my phenomenol HDL readings, LOL, and has watched me use my "placebo medicine" shrink a multinodal goiter (thyroid) he thought could only be surgically removed. Live and Learn, I say, kindly : )

It has been my experience and those of others, that when you select the "wrong" or "inappropriate" remedy, all that happens is *nothing* --- no improvement, but no harm, either. This is stated in some of the literature, too, but the thing that's convinced me most about the value of "flowers" is their phenomenol effects on ANIMALS. The animals can't know what the "placebo cure" is supposed to do, but I've definitely seen the calming effects of Rescue Remedy on my dogs.

I would say the one time they won't work is for "dedicated skeptics" and that's OK, too. My husband was one of those, till I slipped the drops in his water one day then he told me that afternoon he felt tremendously better, what had we done? I then showed him the bottle (self heal drops) and told him I did it without his knowledge, simply because I knew he'd tell me "that will never work." He laughed and said, "keep doing what you're doing--I believe it helped me. And you're right, you could have never convinced me."

I don't really think any ONE thing is "the" cure for anything, but in my experience, the flower essences can have amazing effects. My Illumine and Trauma Stabilizer are my 911's (I guess that's 999's in Britain)!

I would so love to see physicians learn to open their minds and hearts to alternatives, particularly for our Loved Ones trapped in the dementia whirlpool. Perhaps, one day, it will happen.

I agree with you Willow Tree, I have seen them be very effective with animals too.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I think there are many complementary medication and treatments that are helpful to people. It can be a case of finding what suits the individual. I have fairly regular reflexology and have done for years. It was all I used when I went through the menopause. I too wish the medical world would recognise how other treatments can help patients and complement what doctors and hospitals have to offer. Unfortunately most health professionals treat symptoms or illnesses disregarding the person as a whole when a more holistic approach could be more beneficial.

karenjoy

Feb 19, 2014
Southend on sea essex
Hi I used the night time Bach remedy drops for my mum for nearly 5years and they were a godsend they really helped her to keep calmer and be happier.She was on no medication for dementia which she had for 10 years and she sadly died last Nov aged 92 so I say give them a try good luck x