A question

A.J.

Mar 3, 2008
Scotland
I have a question but I don't know if anyone will have an answer to it. I know that people don't die from AD. Obviously all sufferers circumstances are different but do they die from the side effects? As I said in my first post, I am doing a lecture on the subject. Although I have decided to concentrate my focus on the stages of AD and the history of it I have to have a question and answer session at the end and I am sure it is the sort of question that I will be asked. I want to be as prepared with anwers as I can. If anyone has any answers for me then I would very much appreciate them.
Incidentally, I am very happy to say that I now understand a lot more about AD and have been able to piece together how symptoms probably went undetected with my aunt. It doesn't make things any easier but it certainly helps to accept how things are.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sorry but what you know is wrong. People do indeed die of AD. As the plaques and tangles build up autonomic functions are affected and people forget how to swallow and in some case how to breathe. I think you have to say that in those cases AD caused their deaths. It's true that many people do die of such things as pneumonia (often caused by aspiration) but it's one of the big fallacies that AD isn't fatal - it is.

P.S. Sorry if I sound aggressive over this: perhaps if more people realised that this was a progressive fatal neurological illness there would be the same sort of support there is for cancer patients, and more money for research and more everything.

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Aj

I am breaking a rule I made. Sorry Moderator's
Please go back to your book's.
Do not give a lecture on AZ.
Walk a mile in our shoes, then you can lecture.
Sorry to be so direct, and I appologise. But I mean every word.
Barb

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
AD death

Moms first dr. has a rule that he has taken on. On the death certificate he puts cause of death as Alzheimers disease, then lists the secondary cause..an example may be a stroke, etc.

He has been fighting his collegues on this because people do not see AD as the killer. What in reality is that AD is a cult leader and the little health problems that pop up are the desciples out to do it's dirty work.

What is perplexing is that everyone is right, it's just how you look at it.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Barb

Walk a mile in our shoes, then you can lecture.

I can see the point in the above statement but, I personally, would be willing to listen to anyone that was striving to understand something outside of their experience.

I know many people have not walked a mile in my shoes but if some of them are prepared to try to understand where I'm coming from then I'd be glad of it. Life would be quite limiting if it was restricted to only those that had walked a mile in my shoes.

Respect to you Barb

Helen

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
"Walk a mile in my shoes"......hmmm, personally I feel like I have been going barefoot thru a briar patch lately.....I agree, if someone doesn't know what you are going thru then the lecture needs to stop...but if they can give new insight, it can always help....think I straddle the fence on this one...:eek: