Sleeping 18 hours a day - is this normal?

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Mum has had VD for around 3 years (diagnosed only a year ago), and is going to bed at 9pm, and usually not waking up until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, sometimes later.

It's not consistent - nothing is with Mum - and she will sometimes get up at 7 in the morning, but then falls asleep on the sofa for hours.

Is sleeping this much normal for her condition? Has anyone else experienced it?

Don't get me wrong - it makes my life much, much easier. But if it's not down to the VD, I need to take her to the GP and get it checked.

I'd appreciate any advice, or sharing of stories.

Hugs and respect

Jo

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Evening Jo.

OH has had Vascular D for 4 or 5 years and is definitely sleeping a lot more this year than she has done before, not sure if it is a phase or a new stage myself. I always find Doctors to be a little inconsistent, but it is worth taking your mum to her GP for a second opinion. It may be part of the disease, but it could be down to medication or something else. OH is currently on paracetemol and codeine which will make her drowsy. I don't know what meds your mum is on, but it can't hurt to ask the GP.
Sorry, that's not much help. Good luck.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
Mum has had VD for around 3 years (diagnosed only a year ago), and is going to bed at 9pm, and usually not waking up until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, sometimes later.

It's not consistent - nothing is with Mum - and she will sometimes get up at 7 in the morning, but then falls asleep on the sofa for hours.

Don't get me wrong - it makes my life much, much easier. But if it's not down to the VD, I need to take her to the GP and get it checked.

Hugs and respect

Jo

Hi, dad is the same, diagnosed 18 months ago but has had VD for probably 4 years. He is now in a care home and sleeps all day other than meal times. GP says it is his way of coping with the illness. It is so hard to see him like this. Leedsx

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum was diagnosed with VD 4 years ago. She now sleeps most of the day either in bed or in her chair. Her carers get her up, washed and dressed and give her a small lunch, then she sleeps all afternoon till the evening visit, and goes back to bed afterwards. She seems to have lost all of her fight and difficult personality, and lost nterest in everything and given up.

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
Ditto here as well - my Mum was diagnosed with VD about a year ago though had been showing symptoms for probably 3 years before that. She is also inconsistent but can sleep for 15 hours a day - all night plus naps during the day; other days she is up early and has no naps and wakes us during the night. She is on almost no medication and I take her for regular GP check ups (every 6 months as suggested by the GP) and there are never any problems. So I suspect it's her body and brain's way of coping with the disease. That's not to say that in your case it could be for another reason so probably worth getting her checked by her GP. Hard isn't it to see someone so close change in this way and lose interest in everything. Take care

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I have heard of this a lot, and the medical verdict usually seems to be that it's down to the dementia.

I can see why it can be upsetting or worrying for relatives.
On the other hand it's probably a good deal easier for both the person and carers than the other extreme - constantly pacing/wandering//wanting or demanding to go 'home'/asking the same question endlessly/up half the night/being constantly fretful/anxious/agitated about things nobody can help them with.

I must admit that it would have been something of a godsend to me if my FIL had slept a lot, instead of being at the other extreme, as above.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
My MIL used to sleep til 2/3 in the afternoon on occasion. We found it distressing at first but then realised it was all part and parcel of her dementia along with being awake all night and trying to escape. We made the most of the days when she slept :D:D

Having said that I'd get her checked by the GP. First time MIL did this and we tried to wake her we couldn't and ended up calling the paramedics who checked her over and couldn't find anything untoward.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has AD and not VD but she had a few sleeping phases earlier in her disease. She was quite nasty also if people tried to rouse her. We did make sure there was nothing wrong and put it down to her way of coping with her disease.

LisaTudor

Mar 9, 2016
Madrid, Spain
Same here. My mother with AD usually goes to sleep around 10 pm, and some days doesn't wake up until 12 or 1 pm. Except on the weekends when I'm there, and she gets up early with me :-( Don't know whether to laugh or cry!!

YvonnEh

Aug 7, 2016
MIL is the same, she goes to bed at 9:30 pm and is usually woken by her agency carer around 9 am and she sleeps for most of the day, on and off in the chair.

hancmont

Apr 25, 2016

Hugs and respect

Jo

my mum who has alzheimer's, sleeps on and off all day. She is in a care home and when my brother visits, she is always lying on the bed, dozing. She doesn't watch TV anymore and isolates herself in her room, having nothing to do with any of the other residents. The carers quietly check on residents at periods in the night just to make sure they are ok but mum, being such a light sleeper anyway, found this an intrusion and started barricading her door so they wouldn't come in (even though she can lock it from the inside). The care home decided that it would be best for mum if they just did one final check at 10.30pm and then left her until the morning. Part of her almost constant sleeping I think is down to tiredness and also because she feels she has no purpose. When she was in her flat she could still manage to wash the dishes and it became a sort of ritual as did putting out the rubbish. I also think that being confused about what time of day it is also plays a part.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Wow! Thank you all of you for your replies, and for sharing your stories. I'm really reassured that this is quite normal for someone with this condition.

I did take Mum to her GP, and she thought it was a combination of the disease, and all the medication that Mum is on - she has long-term arthritis, depression and a whole load of other minor issues that mean she takes a cocktail of pills throughout the day.

I'm not sorry, as it makes my life a lot easier and gives me much more time to do my own stuff. That probably sounds a bit selfish, but I think the sleeping may not last, so I'm making the most of it at the moment.

Thanks again for the reassurance!

Hugs and respect

Jo

Mum&me

Feb 10, 2016
Sleeping a lot

Hi I went through Vascular Dementia as full carer for my mum. At mid stage I decided every day and night was different. As the illness progressed mum could sleep for upto 36 hours which was very stressful to me. I advise leaving the person to sleep but be ready when they wake to reassure them ( to reduce confusion / fear) and try to rehydrate them in order to get any medication in. My mum was bed bound for the final 3 years at home but I realise every one is different. Hope I help. I learnt a lot and love to share my painful experience. Good luck.

Mays Mum

Apr 11, 2011
Sleepy Mum

We had exactly this with my Mum and it got progressively worse; in the end she did nothing but sleep, eventually passing gently and quietly whilst slumbering.

When we once took her to A&E with pneumonia and I told the doctor she had dementia he asked one question "Is she a sleeper or a walker?" - I thought that summed it up perfectly, and to be honest I've always been glad she was a sleeper as it is less distressing all round.

It upset my Dad who was always trying to get her to interact, but our GP said not to worry and that her mind had so much information to process just getting to do the basic things in life that sleeping was the brains way of coping - which I thought was a good explanation.
Thinking of all carers who are doing their best. Believe me, you will look back and be SO so glad you did.

Madwife

May 24, 2016
My Dad has Alzheimer's

....and he sleeps constantly, getting up for breakfast and lunch, then often going back until 6ish, when he's more alert and awake, then sleeps during the night too - I was getting quite frustrated with him and the situation but after reading all your posts realise I shouldn't be and his sleeping habits is probably partly his medications, depression and dementia :( - just a shame as it seems he's wasting what's left of his life and his wife is ill with terminal cancer so wish he could be more awake to support her during the day too - all so very sad xx

JellsnLadderz

Sep 14, 2015
Similar experience

My husband with AD sleeps a lot too. Bed around 10:00pm, unless really grabbed by something on TV or visitor or something we are doing and then sleeps late in the morning. Generally slow to 'come round' once he does wake and usually awareness improves during the day especially after a good walk, which, thank goodness, he is still able to do with as much independence as circumstances permit. I reckon it's at least partly a coping mechanism!

Last edited:

pearl fisher

Sep 11, 2015
Sleeping a lot

Hi Jo your question and the answers you have received have helped me too.My mother has VD with very painful arthritis.

Nanof4

Jun 9, 2016
Thank you

Thank you all so much for your comments regarding sleeping all the time. My mum has VD and AD and over last few months she's been sleeping more and more in fact practically all the time now, we've been very concerned but she's been checked at the hospital and apart from these awful illnesses mum is very strong although because of not wanting to eat or drink as it's too much effort for her she is just skin and bone.
Do any of you have problems getting relatives to eat and drink? I feel as though she's just giving up.
Thank you all again

peterb

Feb 17, 2015
Edinburgh
Thank you all so much for your comments regarding sleeping all the time. My mum has VD and AD and over last few months she's been sleeping more and more in fact practically all the time now, we've been very concerned but she's been checked at the hospital and apart from these awful illnesses mum is very strong although because of not wanting to eat or drink as it's too much effort for her she is just skin and bone.
Do any of you have problems getting relatives to eat and drink? I feel as though she's just giving up.
Thank you all again

My mum has VD and AD she sleeps quite a lot and spends the rest of time chanting random words with her eyes closed at high volume . Meal times are difficult and getting liquid in also. The careers and I get 3 to 4 'fortisip compact nutritionally complete' in to her slowly each day. Fresh orange and a Kit-Cat at breakfast and usually a few spoonfuls of soup at lunch and more juice and a Kit-Cat . Tea time is ice cream and double cream with a blob of fruit compote and a Kit-Cat. She needs to be continually prompted to eat and drink i.e. about every 30 seconds, I think the Kit-Cats are the easiest thing and often require no prompting if broken into 8th.s! It is a labour of love! Best of luck on your journey.

JulieP

Apr 25, 2015
Tamworth
Sleepy Mum

Same here. My mother with AD usually goes to sleep around 10 pm, and some days doesn't wake up until 12 or 1 pm. Except on the weekends when I'm there, and she gets up early with me :-( Don't know whether to laugh or cry!!

My Mum was diagnosed with AD about 7 years ago. She is nearly 90 now and sleeps from about 9p.m. till lunch time next day. I usually get her dressed and bring her downstairs but when she has had a drink and something to eat she just wants to doze in her chair. I have asked the doctor about it but she says 'At her age, if she wants to sleep why not?' None of her favourite activities interest her any more but if I take her out in the wheelchair she quite enjoys it. It is reassuring to know that so many other people are sleepy too. Mum seems to be most awake late afternoon / early evening.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan