Undertakers forgot to deliver Mum's ashes

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
So 6 months after Mum died we organised for her ashes to be interred at the local church. I arranged for the tablet to be inscribed and the rector to do the ceremony. I chose a poem to read, flowers to take and a new pretty dress to wear. Stupidly assumed having liaised with undertakers re tablet they would deliver ashes or at least ask if we wanted to transport them. My brother and his family flew over from the US, my lovely husband & daughter made a surprise 200 mile journey to be with my Dad & me. So we all get to the church, make a few pleasantries and then it's hunt the ashes time. Hubby & I make a mercy dash to the undertakers & bring Mum on her final journey in a bag on my knee. The irony is my Mum hated being late and was always early for everything.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh my LeedsLass
I do hope the ceremony went well after that, you all made such an effort to be together

I'm sorry I can't be sombre after reading 'mercy dash' 'hunt the ashes' 'bag on my knee' and 'always early' - you write so vividly
this was all so human and so full of life - I know my mum would have been beaming down with such a grin
what a fabulous celebration :)

apologies if I've overstepped the mark

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Hi Shedrech, not at all! It was just one of those moments! It has already passed into family folklore & will be chuckled about for many years to come. X

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Well done for having a sense of humour to cope with this awful experience, such a let down when you'd all made the effort.

Last edited: