Angry at the disease

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
I had a long good cry this morning, angry that I'm not who I used to be. I'm 58 years old, was diagnosed 5 years ago and I don't want this!!! I know better than to go there, I work hard on acceptance and take a positive attitude toward life. I'm usually grateful for all the good things in my life ....

My wonderful husband wanted to go to Indiana to see his brother for his 60th birthday. I have been stable. I told him to go and that I would spend one night alone and my friend would spend the rest of the weekend here. No big deal for a normal situation. But we all know this disease isn't normal. Stable to Me, isn't stable to the rest of the world. As some of you know I had two surgeries in the last six months and I'm in physical therapy twice a week. I work at building strength every single day but I walk in the hallway of my building as it's air-conditioned and outside my door. Yesterday after darling husband left, I had to mail a baby blanket I made, so I walked outside in the 95° weather the half a mile to the post office. I don't walk to the post office in normal circumstances, never mind when no one is home and it's 95° . I barely got to the post office and sat on the bench wondering I was going to do. I was so frustrated, most normal people can walk to the post office and mail their item and walk home .... why can't I.

As I was pondering what to do as I sat on the bench in tears and a bit confused. a friends teenage daughter was driving by and she stopped to show me her new car. I didn't recognize her at first, but then she told me who she was again and I was so grateful. It truly was a God moment for me. I asked her if she would take me to the post office and take me home and she said sure, no problem.

Today, I was upset that I had received text messages from my husband, but he hasn't called me since he left yesterday. How could he leave and not check on me? He is my total support system, the one I share all my life and fears of this disease with. Not realIzing that when he left, I felt like someone had pulled the rug out from underneath me. He texted me so often that this morning he thought he called me. I am formed him that he didn't and he felt terrible. I felt so alone, alone in my disease, alone in life with no one to turn to ...

Yes, there are people I could call, but I am not good at reaching out and asking for help. People only see me when I'm doing well, they don't see me when I can't leave the apartment because I'm afraid, they don't see the fear I have of going to the pool alone. Sometimes I feel like I sit and watch the world go by.

Today I got up and I made coffee. I did my half a mile walk in the hallway, I did my leg exercises and my stretching, my prayers and my meditation. I did laundry....Right foot left foot I moved forward. Almost with the determination that the disease won't get me. But I know that's not true becauss it already has ....

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
Sorry my post was so long, but I feel better that I shared with you all. like by sharing it's less of a burden to me .... As always, thank you for being there

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Irishgirl57

always share here - someone will read and respond

sending you a blanket of sympathy to curl up in

and a gentle push - do call one of those people, maybe just to chat, maybe to say you'd appreciate a real hug and a bit of a hand ...... your friend's daughter understood and took your hand; lovely young woman

best wishes

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
I am better, but still a bit unsettled. My friend came to stay with me ... I had even forgotten that I posted this. I remembered this morning.

I am doing my routine of walking now,, then will do rest of workout, prayers and meditation. Right foot, left foot

Grateful for what I have, prayers for those living alone in this disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
It's all so challenging, isn't it Donna?

angry that I'm not who I used to be. I know that feeling: such a feeling of loss, isn't it? And nothing much to be done about it...