Sundowning

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I now have both my MIL and my mum living with us. Both have dementia .

My MIL's sundowning has virtually stopped but my mums is so much worse than I ever experienced. Nothing I do helps. Distraction is useless. Hubby and I end up hiding the house keys/remote control for TVs and we go upstairs. Sounds awful but we just can't help her

My question is...

Has anyone had success with medication for sundowning?

1954 x

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy

My MIL's sundowning has virtually stopped but my mums is so much worse than I ever experienced. Nothing I do helps. Distraction is useless. Hubby and I end up hiding the house keys/remote control for TVs and we go upstairs. Sounds awful but we just can't help her

My question is...

1954 x
Hello 1954. Understand what you're experiencing. Not a good experience. Afternoons/evenings I dread as well. The medication my oh is on, donepezil' makes no difference whatsoever. I think we just have to sit it out and hope for the best.
It doesn't sound awful, I often have to go into another room to keep my cool.
Wishing you all the best,
malomm

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thank you for your replies. It is as I thought that nothing works. Mum paces manically round the house...staring out of Windows ....pulling at the blinds/curtains.....crying .....screaming......

I am now going through the tortuous job of clearing out my mums house to sell it

I have had horrendous time with MIL and respite. Sometimes it all seems too much........

1954 x

P

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Thank you for your replies. It is as I thought that nothing works. Mum paces manically round the house...staring out of Windows ....pulling at the blinds/curtains.....crying .....screaming......

I am now going through the tortuous job of clearing out my mums house to sell it

I have had horrendous time with MIL and respite. Sometimes it all seems too much........

1954 x

P

Donepezil is just a general dementia medication to help slow progression and is not prescribed for sundowning itself.

You need to talk to a Dementia consultant to find something to help with her agitation and distress - there are things that help but there's no quick fix. It often requires trying things to find something that helps and suits your mum.

Ask your GP for an urgent referral to either the Dementia consultant or the Community Mental Health team. Emphasise the urgent.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi 1954, have you tried giving paracetamol . There is some research to say it helps with agitation in dementia . I have used it with my mum and I am sure it works most of the time . Might be worth a try . Good luck . I take my hat off to you , you certainly have your hands full . Best wishes , Lou

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral

My question is...

1954 x

My mother as been experiencing awful sundowners but gp is reluctant to give medication coz she ar risk of falls coz of a stroke but it is awfull every night for 3-5 hours so I know how u feel big hugs xxx

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Mum's medication was tweaked to try to make the sundowning less awful - there was a noticeable improvement. Sorry, I can't remember how the medication was tweaked - only that it was.

Dave66

Sep 13, 2014
Hi 1954

When Mam's agitation and night time activities got too much for Dad, I contacted the Mental Health Team Nurse, who spoke with the Consultant Psychiatrist about it.

His recommendation was Mirtazapine, Mam now has 1 x 15mg tablet per night and her activity and agitation have reduced greatly. Mam is still up 2/3 times in the night, but compared to life before the tablet, things are a little less stressful for Dad now.

By the way, Mirtazapine is an anti depressant that has a sedative effect.

Good luck

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thank you so much for your replies and ideas. I have a GP appointment for her so will ask. Unfortunately mum has not been formally diagnosed but it's blatantly obvious to us

1954 x

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I hope the GP can help, 1954 - just dealing with Mil's sundowning was so hard. It must be horrendous for you trying to cope with both your Mum going through that, and with your Mil's dementia too. Accepting that you really can't do anything to help, when the sundowning is so bad is real torture, I know. Like you, we used to hide keys and phone, and encourage Mil to go to her room, even on occasion pretty much ordering her to go - because sometimes (though not always) taking her away from any reaction at all would be the one thing that would sometimes work to calm her. But, sending her upstairs led to us having to fit locks on her wardrobe (otherwise she would bang the doors as she packed and unpacked - and that could go on until the wee small hours, keeping everyone awake), we had to fit locks on everyone elses bedroom doors as she would otherwise go into the rooms and take other peoples belongings and we also had to eventually, fix her bedroom window so she couldn't open it, as she would stand there screaming for 'help' through it. It's horrible when all you can do is restrict the person, but not actually stop this awful condition. I really feel for you xxxx

Roshar

Aug 13, 2016
My husband has just started Sundowning as I believe it is called.
Started when he was suffering with gout, but has now been going on for about 2 months.
Found lots of reasons for it to be something else, but had to admit in the end that this is what is happening. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 7 years ago after showing earlier signs probably 10 years ago. He diagnosed himself after picking up a leaflet in the doctors.
He has never been aggressive although gets grumpy at times, and also stubborn.
When he is awake at night, he is a completely different person to the "normal" person he usually is, mainly constantly apologising for "being like this", and wanting fresh air, either at a window or walking outside the house. Not wanting to go back to bed.
My husband also suffers from heart failure which limits his activities, he does not have the energy to venture far and in fact is walking more now wandering round the house than he has done for some years. That is a mixed blessing.
I have asked if there is any medication that can give him some respite from his agitation but am told that there isn't.
So far I havnt discussed this with his psychiatric nurse but I suppose that is the next step if it becomes too difficult to manage.
At the moment it is happening probably 2 or 3 times a week, it may start at bedtime when he complains that he doesn't feel settled, this is the worst one as I am usually tired, otherwise he wakes in the middle of the night, as is happening now,he woke at 3.00am and it is now 5.00am
Reading other people's comments, I realise that I am having it easy, but I would still like to know if there is any way I can help my husband with this latest development.