Advice on UTI

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Hi I am Mums sole carer and we live together Mum is 87 and keeps getting uti.She becomes nasty and aggressive and imagines we are in danger and need to escape before we are shot everytime this happens and tries to get out of the house banging on the doors and windows she becomes scared and is asking me what are we going to do all the time. The doctor keeps prescribing antibiotics which after three or four days calms Mum down but I wonder if having so many antibiotics is doing Mum any good. I darnt plan anything with Mum for fear of another infection as she can be very rude to people, so removed from how she was.Wondered if anyone had any ideas on preventing uti's.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
My mum had a lot of utis before she moved in with me despite taking cranberry capsules. I discovered that she was wiping "back to front" rather than front to back. It took a while to get her two wipe front to back and I got her drinking more and she's had no more infections.
It may be your mum has some bacteria left once the anti-biotics have apparently done their job that might not necessarily show up on a dip test. Perhaps the doctor could send a specimin to the lab at the end of the course of tablets for culture to make sure it really has gone.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Beate has said it already, but OH was on preventative antibiotics for about two years after getting UTIs every few weeks. The ABs stopped the run and she has only had a couple in the year or so since. There were no other complications. It might be worth a try for a short period. Otherwise, if you can get your mum to drink loads of fluids it will help. You may need to use a straw and keep topping up with fresh liquid every now and again, OH is a bit fussy on drinking juice at the wrong temperature or if she thinks it has been left out too long.

All the best, rosy.

UJ2015

Dec 12, 2015
My Dad's back in hospital with another blocked catheter/UTI - possibly both or one, it's a never ending cycle. We managed to go a few weeks without too much drama - he had one infection but got to stay home during that time - but usually it's every other week! It's nuts.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi rosy. My mum was prone to uti but because of her renal failure antibiotics were discouraged. I found a substance called D mannose. You can take a Maintenance dose once a day which I done for 2 weeks initially . Now I give her a couple of doses every week which maintains a healthy urinary tract . I'm not saying it's for everyone but if in doubt check with your GP first . If you research it , you can read the reviews. Best wishes , Lou

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
uti's

A big thank you for all your comments I definitely will try and get Mum drinking more fluids.I have to take Mum to the loo as she doesn't remember where it is even though she has lived in the house for over 30 years so I do make sure she wipes properly and I also have to bathe my Mum she isn't steady enough on her feet so I make sure she is clean, so I am keen to get more fluids in her and fingers crossed it will help. The last uti was two weeks ago I called the doctor who told me I shouldn't surmise that Mum had a uti just because she was confused as this was her alzheimers but Mum always becomes scared and a lot more confused and anxious and sometimes aggressive with a uti I told the doctor I had always been right but not to worry I would take my Mum to hospital who by this time was trying to break the front door down!,,Reluctantly he sent a Lady doc round who did a test and proved there was infection plus blood in Mums urine,I felt so angry with the doc who spoke to me as if I was neurotic Thank good the Lady doc was lovely with Mum.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
A big thank you for all your comments I definitely will try and get Mum drinking more fluids.I have to take Mum to the loo as she doesn't remember where it is even though she has lived in the house for over 30 years so I do make sure she wipes properly and I also have to bathe my Mum she isn't steady enough on her feet so I make sure she is clean, so I am keen to get more fluids in her and fingers crossed it will help. The last uti was two weeks ago I called the doctor who told me I shouldn't surmise that Mum had a uti just because she was confused as this was her alzheimers but Mum always becomes scared and a lot more confused and anxious and sometimes aggressive with a uti I told the doctor I had always been right but not to worry I would take my Mum to hospital who by this time was trying to break the front door down!,,Reluctantly he sent a Lady doc round who did a test and proved there was infection plus blood in Mums urine,I felt so angry with the doc who spoke to me as if I was neurotic Thank good the Lady doc was lovely with Mum.

Forgot to mention earlier, but you can buy test kits for dipping in a urine sample at home. I got mine from Lloyds Pharmacy online, but there may be better deals. Just a thought in case your mum's doctor needs a bit of convincing in future, Rosy.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
uti's

Thank you so much Nae sporran I didn't know you could buy a dip testing kit I will definitely be purchasing one it will be such a relief to be able to test Mum myself.