So, here we are.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I sat down this afternoon and wrote a long email to the Irish Alzheimer's Society. Here's what I said. Hope it's ok. :

I was going to just post a reply to comments on your facebook page, re the interview from the radio show about the lack of support for people to continue caring for loved ones with dementia in their own homes, but didn't want the commentors there to think I was being critical or disagreeing with them - I'm not. My husband died a year ago, from alzheimer's disease (well, actually primary cause of death was aspiration pneumonia, but he wouldn't have had that had he not had alzheimer's disease, so it was aspiration pneumonia/alzheimer's disease on his Death Certificate - more about this in a moment!).

I cared for my husband at home for several years. He was very far from the picture usually portrayed in charity "advertising" for people with dementia - the elderly person who is fading gently and sweetly into forgetfullness, smiling lovingly & gratefully at their carer, who is smiling equally lovingly back. A major feature of William's illness was extreme paranoid psychosis. Hallucinations, delusions of a horrific and terrifying nature for him. He was on anti-psychotics and under the care of the totally brilliant Psych of Old Age team at UHW for several years. Nevertheless I was determined to keep him at home until he died. When I first began to suspect what might be wrong with him, I went and trained as a care assistant for the elderly - I got my FETAC Level 5 and all! And I did specific training in Dementia Care. The training did help. However, as years went on, and his condition deteriorated I realised that eventually, I would not be able to care for him at home. I had 45minutes per day from a Care Assistant, and 1 1/2 hours per week Home Help - and living in the country, their travelling time to us had to come out of that time. William had to have a male care assistant, as he would not allow a woman to help him with washing or dressing. Most of the time, he would not allow me to help him with personal care either - and by now, he was fully incontinent. I found the contents of pads hidden all over the place! He became increasingly aggressive (we never hear about this aspect of the illness - it's just whispered about, carer to carer!). The second time he tried to strangle me, I knew it was time for full time care for him. I thought it would be the end of him. I thought he would hate it. But by this time, he was loosing ground very rapidly here at home. He was refusing to eat enough. He was refusing to drink - I was doing well to get 1 small glass per day into him. He wouldn't take his medication - I had to give it covertly. He was only sleeping for 1 1/2 to 2 hours max at a time, through the 24 hours.

Eventually, after the processing & waiting for funding to be released took over five months, he went to a nursing home. And he absolutely thrived and blossomed in there! He took about three weeks to settle - and then he loved it. He loved walking in the wide, spacious, flat corridors. He loved the physiotherapy twice a week, he loved (oh, how he loved!) the meals in the dining room - I think he thought he was dining in a restaurant every time - and most of all, he loved having uniformed, male staff to help him. A uniformed staff nurse gave him his tablets - and he took them. No matter what time of day or night, if he went wandering - there was someone there to help him. I think he felt far more secure there. Best of all, his face would light up when he saw me coming in. He actually didn't realise that I wasn't there - somewhere around the building - all the time. He loved to go to his room with me and watch tv all afternoon. We regained a quality of life and a quality of relationship that we hadn't been able to sustain while I was trying to care for him at home.

So what I'm saying is - yes, there does need to be more funding for home care packages. But while campaigning for this, care needs to be taken that those who are finally forced into making the decision to have their loved ones cared for in a nursing home are never, ever, made to feel guilty - or any more guilty - for having to make that decision. None of us have ever made that decision lightly, or made that decision for our own sakes. Providing our loved ones with the very best care does not always mean caring for them ourselves. Sometimes, it means stepping back and letting others do the hands-on caring.

And back to what I said about the aspiration pneumonia and alzheimer's disease being on my husband's death certificate. I couldn't count the number of people I have spoken to over the years who didn't know that az/dementia is a terminal illness. They didn't realise that, eventually, people will die from it. And speaking to people I understand that even still, many doctors won't put az or dementia on a death certificate as a cause of death. They will put "Pneumonia" or even "frailty of old age" or whatever. Alzheimer's Disease should be put as a cause of death on death certificates - I'm sure it would get a lot more research funding, if it was out there exactly how many people die because of it. I know that the majority of them are elderly, and would be dying anyway - but nonetheless, those people could have lived a lot healthier old-ages were it not for their dementia, if you follow me? So, how about adding this to your campaigning? I would have been absolutely furious if my husband's years of suffering had been hidden or brushed under the carpet, by not appearing on his death certificate.

Thanks for reading this - like I said, I didn't just want to "reply" to the comments on the facebook page. I didn't want the commentors there to think I was criticising them. Carers can be very vulnurable.

Will let you know if I hear anything back from them next week. To be honest, I know it's not politically correct these days - but this thing of not saying that someone is "suffering from alzheimers disease or dementia" but that they are "living with alzheimers disease/dementia" I have to say it. It makes me absolutely furious. Maybe there are those who, in the early stages "live with" the disease. My husband, particularly as his illness went on most definitely suffered from it! And how very dare anyone belittle his suffering - and the suffering of all those we have loved and lost - for the sake of political correctness? You only have to read the heart-rending threads on here to see the suffering - and it's not confined to the people who have the illness. You wouldn't say to someone with terminal cancer that they are "living with cancer" until it kills them, would you?! Then why be so patronising about an illness just because it attacks the cognitive functions primarily?

Hmm. Maybe I better stay away from controversial news items until well after William's anniversary. Sorry folks - I suppose I am still so impotently furious at dementia! :rolleyes:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh yes!
Back to my cutting back on my sugar intake so much! (yes - you do need to have your seatbelts on on this thread, don't you?!)
You see, I've been doing some reading. Mum is type2 diabetic, but she controls it with diet. Several other people I know are also type 2 diabetic. Others are borderline, and some have been told they are "insulin resistant" meaning that they aren't there yet - but they are heading for diabetes. And Type 2 diabetes is, most commonly, diet/lifestyle related. Basically, too much sugar/too little exercise. Which is why I was reading up a bit on it - in layman's language. And why I've been trying to increase my exercise. I don't want to end up diabetic, and I have been eating a lot of sugary stuff for a long number of years. And my reading, to my horror, started citing various bits of research - but most notably a study done with 3,000 participants which would appear to have shown a direct correlation between high blood sugar levels and cognitive function in older people. Add to that the fact that our extremely high sugar intake (most of which is hidden in processed foods) is implicated in so many illnesses - and the fact that I know how addicted to chocolate, biscuits, sweets etc. I have been - I just felt it was worth trying to give it up and see how it went.
So far - well as you can see from my posts, my mood has been swinging a bit! :D But actually, I haven't missed it too much. I'm making sure to eat protein, fat and carbohydrate (but not too much!) and lots of vegetables & some fruit. I've even gotten used to plain porridge, no sugar - but I do put a few blueberries or grapes in. I lost a couple of pounds this week, even though I only managed to get out once for my walk. So - we will see how it goes! :)
I'm off to bed!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Will be interested to know how you get on as am eating too much choc, too many biscuits, at the moment but don't know where this has come from as I was always into more savoury than sweet until AD entered our lives.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I sat down this afternoon and wrote a long email to the Irish Alzheimer's Society. Here's what I said. Hope it's ok. :

I was going to just post a reply to comments on your facebook page, re the interview from the radio show about the lack of support for people to continue caring for loved ones with dementia in their own homes, but didn't want the commentors there to think I was being critical or disagreeing with them - I'm not. My husband died a year ago, from alzheimer's disease (well, actually primary cause of death was aspiration pneumonia, but he wouldn't have had that had he not had alzheimer's disease, so it was aspiration pneumonia/alzheimer's disease on his Death Certificate - more about this in a moment!).

I cared for my husband at home for several years. He was very far from the picture usually portrayed in charity "advertising" for people with dementia - the elderly person who is fading gently and sweetly into forgetfullness, smiling lovingly & gratefully at their carer, who is smiling equally lovingly back. A major feature of William's illness was extreme paranoid psychosis. Hallucinations, delusions of a horrific and terrifying nature for him. He was on anti-psychotics and under the care of the totally brilliant Psych of Old Age team at UHW for several years. Nevertheless I was determined to keep him at home until he died. When I first began to suspect what might be wrong with him, I went and trained as a care assistant for the elderly - I got my FETAC Level 5 and all! And I did specific training in Dementia Care. The training did help. However, as years went on, and his condition deteriorated I realised that eventually, I would not be able to care for him at home. I had 45minutes per day from a Care Assistant, and 1 1/2 hours per week Home Help - and living in the country, their travelling time to us had to come out of that time. William had to have a male care assistant, as he would not allow a woman to help him with washing or dressing. Most of the time, he would not allow me to help him with personal care either - and by now, he was fully incontinent. I found the contents of pads hidden all over the place! He became increasingly aggressive (we never hear about this aspect of the illness - it's just whispered about, carer to carer!). The second time he tried to strangle me, I knew it was time for full time care for him. I thought it would be the end of him. I thought he would hate it. But by this time, he was loosing ground very rapidly here at home. He was refusing to eat enough. He was refusing to drink - I was doing well to get 1 small glass per day into him. He wouldn't take his medication - I had to give it covertly. He was only sleeping for 1 1/2 to 2 hours max at a time, through the 24 hours.

Eventually, after the processing & waiting for funding to be released took over five months, he went to a nursing home. And he absolutely thrived and blossomed in there! He took about three weeks to settle - and then he loved it. He loved walking in the wide, spacious, flat corridors. He loved the physiotherapy twice a week, he loved (oh, how he loved!) the meals in the dining room - I think he thought he was dining in a restaurant every time - and most of all, he loved having uniformed, male staff to help him. A uniformed staff nurse gave him his tablets - and he took them. No matter what time of day or night, if he went wandering - there was someone there to help him. I think he felt far more secure there. Best of all, his face would light up when he saw me coming in. He actually didn't realise that I wasn't there - somewhere around the building - all the time. He loved to go to his room with me and watch tv all afternoon. We regained a quality of life and a quality of relationship that we hadn't been able to sustain while I was trying to care for him at home.

So what I'm saying is - yes, there does need to be more funding for home care packages. But while campaigning for this, care needs to be taken that those who are finally forced into making the decision to have their loved ones cared for in a nursing home are never, ever, made to feel guilty - or any more guilty - for having to make that decision. None of us have ever made that decision lightly, or made that decision for our own sakes. Providing our loved ones with the very best care does not always mean caring for them ourselves. Sometimes, it means stepping back and letting others do the hands-on caring.

And back to what I said about the aspiration pneumonia and alzheimer's disease being on my husband's death certificate. I couldn't count the number of people I have spoken to over the years who didn't know that az/dementia is a terminal illness. They didn't realise that, eventually, people will die from it. And speaking to people I understand that even still, many doctors won't put az or dementia on a death certificate as a cause of death. They will put "Pneumonia" or even "frailty of old age" or whatever. Alzheimer's Disease should be put as a cause of death on death certificates - I'm sure it would get a lot more research funding, if it was out there exactly how many people die because of it. I know that the majority of them are elderly, and would be dying anyway - but nonetheless, those people could have lived a lot healthier old-ages were it not for their dementia, if you follow me? So, how about adding this to your campaigning? I would have been absolutely furious if my husband's years of suffering had been hidden or brushed under the carpet, by not appearing on his death certificate.

Thanks for reading this - like I said, I didn't just want to "reply" to the comments on the facebook page. I didn't want the commentors there to think I was criticising them. Carers can be very vulnurable.

Will let you know if I hear anything back from them next week. To be honest, I know it's not politically correct these days - but this thing of not saying that someone is "suffering from alzheimers disease or dementia" but that they are "living with alzheimers disease/dementia" I have to say it. It makes me absolutely furious. Maybe there are those who, in the early stages "live with" the disease. My husband, particularly as his illness went on most definitely suffered from it! And how very dare anyone belittle his suffering - and the suffering of all those we have loved and lost - for the sake of political correctness? You only have to read the heart-rending threads on here to see the suffering - and it's not confined to the people who have the illness. You wouldn't say to someone with terminal cancer that they are "living with cancer" until it kills them, would you?! Then why be so patronising about an illness just because it attacks the cognitive functions primarily?

Hmm. Maybe I better stay away from controversial news items until well after William's anniversary. Sorry folks - I suppose I am still so impotently furious at dementia! :rolleyes:

Excellent email, LadyA. Hope you get an understanding response. Thanks for standing up for us!!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Good email Lady A. More and more people need to be told about the impact Dementia has on everyone's life not just the patient.

I'm a Type 11 diabetic. it was diagnosed about 5 years ago, hjaving been borderline before that. I have, until this year, been able to control it with diet, but when I had my tests in April my blood measurements had doubled. No reason that I could give, other that Christmas, for the changes....so immediately it was decided that I must go onto drugs, including statins aspirin and insulin.

Well firstly I managed to get them to give me another 3 months on a more restricted diet, because I wanted to see if lifestyle had caused a change, could it be rectified? I eventually won my three month reprieve, but unfortunately to no effect. Blood levels still too high ( mind I'm losing a pound or so each week), so I am going to have to concede as far as aspirin and insulin are concerned, but they can take their statins elsewhere. I have made my thoughts known many times over about that evil drug.They sent me an appointment to visit a GP in the practice ( the diabetic GP) for 4 weeks hence.....he's on holiday!!! 4 WEEKS holiday!!!!!:( and NO no other GP can see me about it. Hope he enjoys his break ( I don't begrudge him a holiday) but don't understand why another GP cannot act for him. After all, he is a GP not a consultant and the others could read my notes ...... Hope he does not break his leg windsurfing!
Must go for now....sausage and piccalilli sandwiches to make for supper....
Toodles.x.x.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London

The e-mail is great Lady A well done you for saying what lots of us would like to say thanks.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Good email Lady A. More and more people need to be told about the impact Dementia has on everyone's life not just the patient.

I'm a Type 11 diabetic. it was diagnosed about 5 years ago, hjaving been borderline before that. I have, until this year, been able to control it with diet, but when I had my tests in April my blood measurements had doubled. No reason that I could give, other that Christmas, for the changes....so immediately it was decided that I must go onto drugs, including statins aspirin and insulin.

Well firstly I managed to get them to give me another 3 months on a more restricted diet, because I wanted to see if lifestyle had caused a change, could it be rectified? I eventually won my three month reprieve, but unfortunately to no effect. Blood levels still too high ( mind I'm losing a pound or so each week), so I am going to have to concede as far as aspirin and insulin are concerned, but they can take their statins elsewhere. I have made my thoughts known many times over about that evil drug.They sent me an appointment to visit a GP in the practice ( the diabetic GP) for 4 weeks hence.....he's on holiday!!! 4 WEEKS holiday!!!!!:( and NO no other GP can see me about it. Hope he enjoys his break ( I don't begrudge him a holiday) but don't understand why another GP cannot act for him. After all, he is a GP not a consultant and the others could read my notes ...... Hope he does not break his leg windsurfing!
Must go for now....sausage and piccalilli sandwiches to make for supper....
Toodles.x.x.

With you on the statins in general - way over prescribed, but I think doctors are kind of caught there. There are so many things that affect cholesterol levels, and sometimes it's just age, genetics etc. But you have to look at the person as a whole to determine whether the high cholesterol is a threat to their health. Like, what other risk factors do they have? - and way too many younger people are having their cholesterol rising and being put on statins when lifestyle changes is what they need - to bring not just their cholesterol levels, but their other risk factors down. But most people would rather just take a pill. :(
Mum has been on statins since her early 40's - she's 79. But she has familial cholesterol, not lifestyle or diet related. It's a hereditary problem, but thankfully only one of my brothers has shown up with it. All mum's family on her dad's side were dead of sudden heart attacks before the age of 44, including her dad and her brother.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

Absolutely brilliant email. Correct and factual. Well done. Am sick of sugar coating this illness and PC. Be interesting to see what reply you get. Am furious about so many issues too.

Aisling

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
With you on the statins in general - way over prescribed, but I think doctors are kind of caught there. There are so many things that affect cholesterol levels, and sometimes it's just age, genetics etc. But you have to look at the person as a whole to determine whether the high cholesterol is a threat to their health. Like, what other risk factors do they have? - and way too many younger people are having their cholesterol rising and being put on statins when lifestyle changes is what they need - to bring not just their cholesterol levels, but their other risk factors down. But most people would rather just take a pill. :(
Mum has been on statins since her early 40's - she's 79. But she has familial cholesterol, not lifestyle or diet related. It's a hereditary problem, but thankfully only one of my brothers has shown up with it. All mum's family on her dad's side were dead of sudden heart attacks before the age of 44, including her dad and her brother?

A change in lifestyle will not necessarily help with cholesterol levels. Yes, exercise can help raise the level good cholesterol but diet alone can rarely have a great impact levels of bad cholesterol as most is made but the liver itself.
Many very thin people have high cholesterol and many fatter people don't.
All drugs have their side effects and it is a case of weighing up the benefits versus the risks as it is with so many things in life.

Love the letter. I hope it produces a result or at least a positive response.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That's what I was saying Saffie. All other risk factors need to be taken into account. For example, my cholesterol started to rise a few years ago. My doctor thought about statins, but felt that I had no other risk factors for heart disease, so they weren't necessary. I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I exercise (although I could do more) and my diet is pretty good, I would only eat meat once a week or so. My mum is very slim, always was - so is my brother. We're a slim built family. But mum's side of the family are, unfortunately, little cholesterol factories! Thankfully, the problem was discovered before mum had a heart attack. When she was in her early 40's, she had a battery of tests because she was having problems with breathlessness and her face turning blue on exertion. Her cholesterol level was over 12! Her diet has no impact on her cholesterol levels.
Personally, I believe that more natural foods are better for our health. I think natural fats, for example, like cold pressed oils, butter, suet and lard are more easily processed by the body than artificial fats like margarine and white vegetable fat. And I believe we greatly underestimate the importance of fibre, especially plant fibre, in maintaining our health.

Gosh, I sound like William! He used to lecture on this kind of thing. He didn't, unfortunately, follow his own advice!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I got a response to my email. Basically, they thanked me for "sharing my story "(!) and for the points I made, which they will keep in mind. And they asked if I would like to consider joining the Advocacy Group -a group of former Carers which campaigns, lobbies, deals with media and publicity etc. They meet four times a year, always in Dublin (Ireland again - anywhere outside the Capital doesn't exist!).

I haven't answered. On the one hand, yes, it would be good to feel I was doing SOMETHING. But on the other hand - I still have huge issues with how dementia is being presented, and feel that the whole "Living with Dementia " (which implies a lifelong condition thats a bit of an inconvenience now and then) rather than acknowledging dementia as a progressive, horrific and terminal illness, is one of the reasons it is so easy for Government to look the other way. "Living well with Dementia?! Jolly good - well carry on! "

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lady A you should give it some thought. The best way to change things is from the inside and you always post so eloquently.

Lady A, I agree with Reallife.

Your email was spot on. I also have issues as to how Dementia is portrayed; it almost always seems to be so divorced from what carers on this Forum experience. Why is that?
That attitude always confuses me:(

XXXX

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I got a response to my email. Basically, they thanked me for "sharing my story "(!) and for the points I made, which they will keep in mind. And they asked if I would like to consider joining the Advocacy Group -a group of former Carers which campaigns, lobbies, deals with media and publicity etc. They meet four times a year, always in Dublin (Ireland again - anywhere outside the Capital doesn't exist!).

I haven't answered. On the one hand, yes, it would be good to feel I was doing SOMETHING. But on the other hand - I still have huge issues with how dementia is being presented, and feel that the whole "Living with Dementia " (which implies a lifelong condition thats a bit of an inconvenience now and then) rather than acknowledging dementia as a progressive, horrific and terminal illness, is one of the reasons it is so easy for Government to look the other way. "Living well with Dementia?! Jolly good - well carry on! "
If you don't speak out, nothing will change. It's only four times a year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne-Marie14