Patient info

Demijoan

Jul 27, 2016
Hi i need help, my mum has been sectioned under the mental health act (she has vascular dementia) she is only 65 years old. To cut a long story short my father helped put her there. There is a long history of domestic abuse physical and mental. As her children we have put a safe guarding issue in to the ward regarding this as we dont want her going home to him. However the letter we issued was disclosed to him a by social services etc even though we clearly marked it confidential and between us and them!!! I can no longet go visit my mother as he makes life impossible now when hes there upsetting my mum etc and attacking us (verbally). The ward wont disclose any info regarding my mum as we are not 'next of kin' we havent got a say in anything that happens to her, is this right?? Can they keep us from any dissicions?? There is no power of attorney in place, but my mum has deteriorated rapid in there and i want to help her... Can anyone help me? Do i have any rights being her daughter? Especially with there being a safeguarding issue?? Please help i miss my mum

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Hi i need help, my mum has been sectioned under the mental health act (she has vascular dementia) she is only 65 years old. To cut a long story short my father helped put her there. There is a long history of domestic abuse physical and mental. As her children we have put a safe guarding issue in to the ward regarding this as we dont want her going home to him. However the letter we issued was disclosed to him a by social services etc even though we clearly marked it confidential and between us and them!!! I can no longet go visit my mother as he makes life impossible now when hes there upsetting my mum etc and attacking us (verbally). The ward wont disclose any info regarding my mum as we are not 'next of kin' we havent got a say in anything that happens to her, is this right?? Can they keep us from any dissicions?? There is no power of attorney in place, but my mum has deteriorated rapid in there and i want to help her... Can anyone help me? Do i have any rights being her daughter? Especially with there being a safeguarding issue?? Please help i miss my mum

What a horrendous situation for you. I suggest ringing the Alzheimer's Society helpline, and speaking again to Social Services and challenge them on the points you raise. And you may have to think about contacting a family law solicitor to help you.