Sad for dad

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
I have just the mental health team on the phone, they have advised they are going to section my dad under a section 3 and they are looking at doing this tomorrow morning.

I feel sick as a pig, I am so stressed out!!!!

I am not going to be there, I cannot face it.

I feel so sad for him. I am heart broken................

If he accepted help it would not have come to this, poor fellow :(:(:(:(

He is going to go mad!!!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I am so sorry that things have got to this, I can understand how very distressed you are about it.

I've not been here for very long, but I have already seen this kind of situation a few times. Almost without exception, the relative has seen that this is actually the best option and the PWD has, finally, got the help they need. I do hope this is so for you too.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
thanks Slugsta :eek:

I feel so bad at the moment, poor fellow is so oblivious of how ill he is, the mental health team want to get him in to assess him and perhaps look at getting him on medication and try and get through to him that he needs help.

They have advised it better to act now, before something really bad happens to him, e.g getting hit by someone, or getting ran over by a car as he keeps walking up the road with no path etc.

I am so scared this will push him further into decline though. My best wish is that after this he accepts help and perhaps can come back to his flat, the team seem to think he wont come out again, however I am being more optimistic at this stage...... he is one stubborn fellow....... it is being his downfall :(

They want the police there tomorrow incase he kicks off. At this time they have not got someone, so it may get delayed? but they are planning to do this tomorrow morning.

My emotions are all over the place right now.......

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
thanks Slugsta :eek:

I feel so bad at the moment, poor fellow is so oblivious of how ill he is, the mental health team want to get him in to assess him and perhaps look at getting him on medication and try and get through to him that he needs help.

They have advised it better to act now, before something really bad happens to him, e.g getting hit by someone, or getting ran over by a car as he keeps walking up the road with no path etc.

I am so scared this will push him further into decline though. My best wish is that after this he accepts help and perhaps can come back to his flat, the team seem to think he wont come out again, however I am being more optimistic at this stage...... he is one stubborn fellow....... it is being his downfall :(

They want the police there tomorrow incase he kicks off. At this time they have not got someone, so it may get delayed? but they are planning to do this tomorrow morning.

My emotions are all over the place right now.......

Oh Angie1996 I feel so sorry for you and yiur Dad. It won't be easy for either of you. Hope your Dad gets the support he needs and can again come home. He will be safe where he is going so take some comfort in that.
Hopefully he will accept the help and if he does have to go into care after then the transition maybe easier for you both?
Hope it goes well tomorrow J

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
sectioning

I have just the mental health team on the phone, they have advised they are going to section my dad under a section 3 and they are looking at doing this tomorrow morning.

He is going to go mad!!!

My wife was sectioned under section 3 I won't kid you the worst day of my life.she never did come home but she's safe now and well looked after in her nursing home.I see her every day and so wish I could care for her at home but it's not possible.if there can be any thing good about section 3 you do not ever have to pay for their care.i only found this out after paying for 8months all my best wishes to you and take care

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Oh Angie1996 I feel so sorry for you and yiur Dad. It won't be easy for either of you. Hope your Dad gets the support he needs and can again come home. He will be safe where he is going so take some comfort in that.
Hopefully he will accept the help and if he does have to go into care after then the transition maybe easier for you both?
Hope it goes well tomorrow J

Thanks jbob x

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
My wife was sectioned under section 3 I won't kid you the worst day of my life.she never did come home but she's safe now and well looked after in her nursing home.I see her every day and so wish I could care for her at home but it's not possible.if there can be any thing good about section 3 you do not ever have to pay for their care.i only found this out after paying for 8months all my best wishes to you and take care

Thanks pins Tony - I won't be there tomorrow I can't face it, I know if they do do this tomorrow I will have a complete crying fit, as he truly does not understand he is ill, this is the problem they are hoping to deal with, to try and get him some help as he refuses, the only good thing for me will be he hopefully gets a full assessment and we know better how he is in terms of his illness. They can't make him have a brain scan if he refuses, which I hope he will agree to, so he gets the correct treatment....

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My late Husband was sectioned 5 times (section 2). The first time was May 2006 (it seems like yesterday) Each time he was helped and returned home the first three times. He only went into a CH june 2013. Please don't give up hope. Pete was greatly helped by his wonderful consultant. I hope the same happens with your Dad.

XX

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
My late Husband was sectioned 5 times (section 2). The first time was May 2006 (it seems like yesterday) Each time he was helped and returned home the first three times. He only went into a CH june 2013. Please don't give up hope. Pete was greatly helped by his wonderful consultant. I hope the same happens with your Dad.

XX

Thanks Lyn t :eek::

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Such a tough time for you. I have not been through this but can see just how distressing it would be. I have read on here many times how it ultimately has lead to good things. By the sound of what you say your dad is unable to cope and unable to recognise he is unable to cope. The most worrying thing you have said is that he is wondering.
I hope that if this does happen that he gets all the help at treatment he needs. If it ends up that he stays in care then he will be warm, clothed, fed, clean and most importantly safe.
Big hugs to you, do let us know how things go tomorrow. (I know you won't be there and certainly don't blame you for that xx)

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Such a tough time for you. I have not been through this but can see just how distressing it would be. I have read on here many times how it ultimately has lead to good things. By the sound of what you say your dad is unable to cope and unable to recognise he is unable to cope. The most worrying thing you have said is that he is wondering.
I hope that if this does happen that he gets all the help at treatment he needs. If it ends up that he stays in care then he will be warm, clothed, fed, clean and most importantly safe.
Big hugs to you, do let us know how things go tomorrow. (I know you won't be there and certainly don't blame you for that xx)

thanks Susy :eek:

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014

He is going to go mad!!!

Angie, your dad's situation sounds almost identical to that of my dad nearly two years ago. Although he realised he was having difficulties with some things, he refused to accept he had Alzheimer's (even after diagnosis - I think, even then, he was failing to understand what was being said to him) and would get very angry at anyone who said he did. He lived on his own, and for about 9 months I was getting phone calls almost every day about some incident or another - from neighbours, police, his solicitor. It was a nightmare.

Finally, he was sectioned after he was spotted at a local petrol station in his dressing gown and pyjamas. Paramedics 'rescued' him, took him home, and then 2 doctors and police were called to section him.

He was taken to hospital, from which he escaped - twice! But we found a care home willing to take him, and after 2 days, that's where he went. Despite all our concerns about how he would react (given he'd been insistent that he was fine, and that none of us had dared broach the subject with him of a care home!), he didn't bat an eyelid, and seemed to accept it all straightaway.

He has been in care ever since. In that time, he's not once asked to go home, where he is, why he's there, etc. Perhaps I have been exceptionally lucky in that respect, but I wanted to let you know that (a) sectioning isn't necessarily a bad thing, and (b) it might just all work out for the best, in ways you can't imagine at the moment.

Even if your dad reacts very differently, please know that this is the right step for him. Many other TPers on here will tell you that - while sometimes the actual sectioning process may be upsetting, if the PWD doesn't want to accept help - then the assessment process which then follows often results in a far better outcome for the PWD and their loved ones than might have been achieved otherwise.

Try not to worry too much - easier said than done, I realise! Your dad will be in the hands of professionals, and he will be safe from this point on. Hang in there, and think positive thoughts. Good luck.

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
thinking of you

He is going to go mad!!!

Hi Angie thinking of you today hope dad is ok remember this is the pits today.as the song says the only way is up you take care

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Thank you all for such lovely comments and your experiences, so kind of you all :):)

The update is that he never got sectioned this morning, as they could not organise for a police officer to be present. A social worker rang me at 09.00 this morning to advise me of this, she advised me that the section will be going ahead and that she was waiting for a confirmation email from the police person (higher level) to confirm availability, so it's on hold at the moment!

So a temporary reprieve for now :)

I slept so bad last night..........

Again thank you all so much, it means a lot to have the support at such a stressful time!