just a quick question

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
still trying to find out about this horrible illness four years on.I have difficulty now with balance,but can someone help(instead of seeing GP) does your eye hand co-ordination go slightly with the progression of the illness.I seem to dropping alot more cups and plates lately

thanks for any advice love you all,this is such a great place to share

ossie 10 xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi ossie10
from my dad's experience and watching him, he certainly has difficulty with hand/eye co-ordination - I can see him concentrating hard to get it all together - and, just in case, I swapped any drinking glasses for plastic beakers (there are some really nice ones around, especially at this time of year, for picnic)
his balance is also not as good as it was - and he certainly feels he's losing his balance more, even when to me he seems pretty secure
having said all that, I am a firm believer that anything you are concerned about is worth having your GP check out - I was concerned that, with dad, I'd put something down to his Alzheimer's when actually there was something else going on
best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello ossie

My husband also had difficulty with hand-eye coordination and also spatial awareness, but I do agree with Shedrech, you should check with your doctor just in case .

At least you are aware of the difficulty you are having. My husband had no idea he was having problems and became very angry and confused.

Perhaps as you are aware, I wonder if you could pace yourself and try to make your movements slower and more deliberate.

I`m sorry if I`m asking the impossible and the impractical , but you seem so on the ball about your symptoms I thought it worth taking a chance. xx

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
me too

still trying to find out about this horrible illness four years on.I have difficulty now with balance,but can someone help(instead of seeing GP) does your eye hand co-ordination go slightly with the progression of the illness.I seem to dropping a lot more cups and plates lately

thanks for any advice love you all,this is such a great place to share

ossie 10 xx

Hi Ossie. I find I'm dropping things more - just been sweeping up the pieces of a glass lemonade bottle from the kitchen floor. It's SO irritating, isn't it? The hot weather we're having here seems to make it worse too. Today I felt a bit dizzy too, so I plan to see the GP next week. (Maybe different meds or something?)

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
thanks again to all,its like having a friend always at hand this place

love you all ossie 10 xx

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Ossie....
Yes. I find the same thing. Doctors are still studying the areas of the brain that involves dementia to try to figure this all out still. Some forms appear to be closely related to Parkinson's where you can barely coordinate getting a fork from the plate to your mouth at times. With that said, new trial treatments are coming out constantly and you may want to be in a research study trial.

I think dropping things is very normal for dementia patients. Sometimes you even forget how to use or why you had the object in your hand.

It's discouraging at times so I have a bunch of plastic ware now

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Creative Sarah!!
Hi! I saw a lot of your postings when I was newer to TP. I truly enjoyed your art work! Have anymore to share? Also--didn't you move? What are the challenges, if any, that you are still having as it relates to moving? I recently moved too.

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
thanks sarah/april

i wont start another thread,but was wondering if anyone else feels you go for old (as in from the past comforts)loving things
Bit embarrassing this,as i am a 56 year ex boxer,but i have recently been taking two old teddies to bed(my grown up childrens old things)with me,i no its not natural but do others look for happy things from their past

thanks again you are all a great family

love ossie10 xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
thanks sarah/april

i wont start another thread,but was wondering if anyone else feels you go for old (as in from the past comforts)loving things
Bit embarrassing this,as i am a 56 year ex boxer,but i have recently been taking two old teddies to bed(my grown up childrens old things)with me,i no its not natural but do others look for happy things from their past

thanks again you are all a great family

love ossie10 xx

There is nothing unnatural about looking for happy things from our past. Don't be embarrassed, take teddies to bed. Also keep in close contact with your doctor. There is medication you can take to slow the progress of this illness. Your doctor will be able to give you help and advice,

Lots of support,

Aisling

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
thanks Aisling,problem is i had a complete meltdown about three weeks ago(couldn't work out how to work an alarm clock) and told my support workers that i dont want anymore scans or doctors appointments,that i have had enough of them.I know its silly but really low at time after that incident.Maybe i should start seeing them again,but i just come home from appointments more depressed lock myself away for days not eating/washing etc.
Sorry for rambling on but hate to put it all on my wonderful son

thanks for listening

love ossie 10 xxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
thanks Aisling,problem is i had a complete meltdown about three weeks ago(couldn't work out how to work an alarm clock) and told my support workers that i dont want anymore scans or doctors appointments,that i have had enough of them.I know its silly but really low at time after that incident.Maybe i should start seeing them again,but i just come home from appointments more depressed lock myself away for days not eating/washing etc.
Sorry for rambling on but hate to put it all on my wonderful son

thanks for listening

love ossie 10 xxx

Hi Ossie,

Just went back through your posts. Hand eye co-ordination can be effected. Too much stuff on table confused my OH.

You have enough of doctors at the moment. Understandable. But think for a moment.... It is vital to see a doctor, you may need to have medications checked. This is a good idea. Yes, I know about bed, not eating etc. it is a stage I am battling at the moment and it is horrific. Am gently suggesting you are feeling depressed and meds can help some people. Talk to your doctor please. I know the thoughts of even getting to doctor is enormous effort.

Your family must be worried about you. Can you talk to them.

I sometimes miss posts as I get confused with threads so feel free to PM me if you think I can help in any way.

Lots of support,

Aisling

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
Hi Ossie. I know that feeling, although I haven't had the worst of it yet.

As for medical etc appointments - I get the feeling that unless they can offer something helpful, they're just treating me as a 'research object'. That's probably unreasonable of me, but there you are! It's sometimes hard to tell whether one's moods are reasonable or just the dementia talking, isn't it?

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
thanks to everyone,sorry have not looked in,but they are having to change my support workers(cutbacks and moving to different sections) although my 'wto ladies' said they will keep in touch feel really low.I meet one of my new support workers tomorrow and really feel low,as most know with this awful illness you if safer with what/who you know

Jhoward agree with you thats why i have given up on hospital appointments and GP's

again thanks for all the love and support

ossie 10 xxx

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
thinking of you

Just to say I'm thinking of you Ossie.
It's a bit of a help to know we're not alone in this, I guess.

Today it feels as though I'm getting worse. It's very demoralising, as I was kidding myself that it could be held just where it is, which is kind of manageable. It's brought me very low tonight: about to take myself off to bed, hoping that tomorrow's better.

My kids are being lovely - but that's sad too. I don't want their last memories of me to be a dotty old lady.

Sorry - this should be in another topic I guess...

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
It's ok J Howard. I'm having a rough day too. Bad.
You kids will remember you as the wonderful person you are! Never doubt that. Tell any other thought to the contrary to go elsewhere.

Be ok.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN