Not feeling the heat

Barlemo

Apr 23, 2012
In this sweltering temperature my husband insists on going to bed wearing his underwear, a tee shirt and socks, he wants the window closed and doesn't like the noise of a fan. I've done my best but I'm worried he will spontaneously combust or something! Why is it he no longer seems to feel the heat. On a mild day he will say it's cold.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Completely normal. Try not to worry about it. That's why care homes are always so warm. What I call fresh air, he calls a cold breeze! Just make sure he drinks enough and the bedding is light.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Barlemo, welcome to TP, my husband doesn't feel the heat, yesterday it was 34c in Kent, winter or summer he has always got too many clothes on, when he lived at home he would go to bed fully dressed, also with shoes on!!!

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
With you all. Mine sleeps under an eiderdown comforter in the heat.
I can enlist help to convince him into summer clothes

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Thanks for posting this. When I woke up in the night OH was snuggled under the duvet with his pyjamas on. I lay there sweltering with nothing on and on top of the duvet.
I guess their thermostats are a bit faulty?!:D

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I am convinced husband has water in his veins instead of blood. Always cold and wanting doors and windows closed. Brushes his teeth with hot water as he can't bear the "freezing" cold water from the tap. Oh Lord I feel another headache coming on at the thought of it all.

Did the writer of Alice in Wonderland have any experience of dementia, do you think?

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
I too am sitting here sweltering in the heat. All doors and windows shut to keep out bugs and fan is to. draughty

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Comment from OH this morning.

Please let this weather break before I do.

It was 80 degrees in mother-in laws this morning and her comment was, "It's cold in here with the draught!." And she doesn't have dementia, just very immobile and very elderly.
Our temperature regulation systems don't work well as we age anyway, but dementia sufferers seem to have problems too. Probably depends which part of the brain has died.

ridunian

Aug 27, 2014
Thank goodness for Talking Point

Hi, Like several other members of talking point I have read with interest all kinds of comments which have applied to my situation and have felt relieved it isn't only my problem . I have never needed to make my own comment so I am new here . My OH was diagnosed with vascular dementia 4 years ago and so far have managed to cope , but how pleased I was to read that others have the same problem with heat (or no heat !) I thought it was just us !! He will not go out without a coat , always wears a jumper (In this heat ) plus thick shirt ,ignoring the one I have put out for him , and always a vest . This I can cope with but it's the shutting of windows, doors , any means of air( Draughts !!) getting in , and now its blinds too . Also do others have a problem with security , we now have 3 padlocks on the back gate , 2 on the side gate ,and front and back door have to be locked at all times , it's driving me mad !Plus the cat has to be in by teatime !!!!!! Thanks for listening to my rant , feel better now !

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Ridunian forgive me for laughing. Poor cat! We had the door barricading for a while but he has passed on from that. We have two bolts and a padlock on the back gate but that is now useful to stop him wandering. Every night we go over whether all doors are locked and every day we go out I am questioned as to whether or not I have locked up.

Common behaviour indeed.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Oh yes. OH has just closed the patio doors and shut the kitchen window. I open them as soon as I go out of the room he closes them. I swelter he is fine. Says its draughty. Did manage to get him to day centre without his beloved fleece. He had that and his winter coat on a few days ago - made me feel faint looking at him.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I didn't realise this was common. TP to the rescue again. I think my OH wears too many clothes as I really feel the heat. Again, we're not alone.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Barlemo

Apr 23, 2012
Well at least we know we are not alone in this particular weird symptom of dementia. Again tonight, husband doesn't seem to mind that his bedroom is like an oven, or sauna. Very reluctant to take off his clothing, Windows firmly shut, although I have managed to leave the fan on a low setting. Even so the heat in there is unbearable! So pleased I now sleep in a separate room.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Seems to me the closing/locking doors and extra clothing are security as well as temperature issues. My OH starts "lock down" around 4.30 despite the fact that I might want to go to the freezer in the garage. He seems to rely solely on time not how light it is. Every time someone around here posts that their cat is missing I feel guilty thinking the poor thing has been locked into one of our sheds.

On the clothes front, even this week, OH has wanted to wear a coat to go out and in some way I can understand this as the weather changed so suddenly and I have felt quite exposed just wearing a t shirt and cropped trousers. I of course have so many reference points, the weather forecast, remember the month, note what other people are wearing etc.

Tonight I am pondering how OH can forget so much but remember that he has lost something. His afternoon spent searching for wallet. I tried to explain it was in the house because I saw him with it, why not wait until it turns up, but no, the search continued. Found now.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Thank you, TP, again! I thought I was all alone with the "hypervigilance." Not only do all gates have padlocks, we also have a security camera system & he insists on watching me put the garbage out once a week "on camera" (we live in a ridiculously safe neighborhood; my only threats are racoons or squirrels). But he won't be discouraged.

If I go to the grocery store, I'm called on the phone a minimum of 5 times per half hour triip and absolutely must promise to call 1. when I arrive in the store and 2. when groceries are packed in car and I am leaving the parking lot.

I'm also instructed that if I get mugged on the way, to come out shooting and take them all down : )

So good to know I'm not all alone in this "Alice in Wonderland" world of ours. Family just doesn't SEE this aspect, day to day, nor do the doctors.

It's truly twisting my sense of humor in strange new ways : )

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
I am really glad to see this post, my mom is the same, her house is a mobile home and this week everything is shut up, no windows or doors open. I go in turn fans on open windows and doors, when I leave everything has to be shut. It's unbearable in there. The carers open windows mom shuts them. It really upset me yesterday as mom said it isn't warm and we are lying, my daughter nearly passed out in there it was 34 degs! I had to go back to her house later yesterday,bd he was sitting on settee curtains etc shut just sitting there, the sweat was just running of me!! Also with my mom she refuses drinks and cold food.i just don't know how she survives.

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Now I understand

I had thought it too was just him but reading the posts I realise it has to be another symptom . The temperature in his room (I moved into the spare to try to get some sleep some time ago) was 31 degrees the other night and he went to bed in pyjamers and climbed under the blanket and duvet. I thought he would die of heat exhaustion! Also like many others all windows and doors have to be firmly closed even when we are still up and it's a real merry go round, him shutting and me opening them again.
Obviously their temperature regulator has packed up. I shall try to be more understanding and throw open my window in my bedroom instead.

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
It is reassuring that other people have the same problem. I thought he was being awkward all windows shut in this heat but it is obviously another effect of horrible A.D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I needed to have the heating on, even when it was scorching hot, cos John said he was cold, and he didn't want blankets or an extra jumper. It had to be the heating. Meanwhile, I had rivulets of sweat running down my back, in my cleavage and through my hair, but he shivered.