Care home expectations on personal care

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
Hi, I'm not sure if my expectations are too high for my dads care home. He has vascular dementia and basically lies on his bed all day with his eyes closed, apart from going to the dining room for meals. We visit regularly and have found that he is not bathing or washing now. We have asked the staff to ensure he is bathed twice per week as the balls of his feet are brown and the skin is peeling off and he smells of urine most of the time. He is continent, we think most of the time.

The bathing does not seem to take place, I visited this week and he was in the same clothes as last week and had not had a bath. When I asked, the deputy manager said he refuses and they can't do anything about it. Dad is very non confrontational and would do as they ask if they approached it positively.

He is self funding and quite frankly, an ideal resident who just lies on his bed and not bothers anyone. What are others experiences with care home, am I expecting too much, does it really matter if he smells? He is quite content, any thoughts welcome. Leeds

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I don't think you're expecting too much.

Perhaps you could offer to be present when they 'offer' a bath and then you can hopefully show them how compliant he can be if approached properly.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
That seems like very poor care to me. I know that care homes have to allow residents to make their own choices but they also have a duty to try keep them free of infection and maintain skin integrity. My Mum would happily stay in bed but the care home actively encourage her to get up and mix with others and encourage her to have showers and clean clothes - with help, of course.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
When my BIL was in the CH my SIL used to say to the carers can you get the bath ready please instead of a shower and she use to supervise them. Otherwise anyone with dementia would say no if they can get away without a wash. Plus if incontinent will be more prone to UTI's not getting a good wash. Your not been demanding you expect him to be treated the same as he would have at home. Good luck x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Going back to basics.

Is there any mention of clothing, bathing in the care plan?

Have you considered asking for a DOLs authorising bathing if he passively refuses as it would be in his best interests?

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I don't think you're expecting too much.

Perhaps you could offer to be present when they 'offer' a bath and then you can hopefully show them how compliant he can be if approached properly.

Thank you, for your suggestion, I intend to speak to the manager again this week x

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
Going back to basics.

Is there any mention of clothing, bathing in the care plan?

Have you considered asking for a DOLs authorising bathing if he passively refuses as it would be in his best interests?

Thanks for your speedy advice, I don't think the care plan has been updated since he arrived, 6 months ago, he was independent then but he has deteriorated rapidly. My sister has spoken and thought she agreed that he should be bathed twice a week, but when I spoke to the same person this week, she told me nothing was agreed. The home has been without a manager for 2 months and standards have dropped. THe deputy manager is very defensive every time we speak to her. Xx