Mother wandering the streets - Newbie question

Caravanwalks

Jul 19, 2016
Hi
Wonder if someone could help with some suggested next steps. My Mother is suffering with Dementia (approx 3 years), and currently lives alone and seems to have been coping really well. No care support really, but I ring him everyday.

Last night/this morning things changed she suddenly got worse, she was very confused late on and I thought I had persuaded her to go to bed after phone calls at 12:30.
This morning at 4am I had phone call from a neighbour that she had been found walking the streets. After rushing around she had been cooking eggs I guess for a couple of hours.
But she doesn't seem to know where she is. the house she has lived in for 30 years and she does seem to recognise me.

Obviously I am concerned about the rapid decline in her condition, and wondering about next steps - I am assuming the unfortunately a care home seems to be the best option - is it.

How do I move forward

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Ian

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
If it's a sudden change, it's probably caused by an infection - uti most common, maybe chest infection. You need to get her to her gp asap for anti biotics. Alternative is a tia, but again, she needs to see a doctor.

Caravanwalks

Jul 19, 2016
If it's a sudden change, it's probably caused by an infection - uti most common, maybe chest infection. You need to get her to her gp asap for anti biotics. Alternative is a tia, but again, she needs to see a doctor.
Thanks will do

winalot

Jun 18, 2016
Sorry to hear this my mum started off doing things like this. From my experience i would say start the process of getting power of attorney first if you don't have it, then arrange for her to see a doctor before looking into care homes etc. dont know if others would agree. would you be worried about her doing these things in the daytime? if theres a way of tiring her out in the day by engaging in activities that might help.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Another thought - hot weather - has she been drinking enough? Deyhdration can up dementia symptoms suddenly.

Caravanwalks

Jul 19, 2016
Thanks for the speedy replies
Good point about fluids she now has a big glass of water
Have posted to active when required so that we be done soon
Doctors this morning will ring when they open
Thanks again

Caravanwalks

Jul 19, 2016
Update

Thanks everyone, well after a quick visit to the Doctors - Urine infection and some dehydration seems to be the answer.
Now have CRISIS care support for 3 days to ensure that the tablets are taken so fingers crossed we will be back to normal soon

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
If your mum doesn't have any regular care support, this might be a good time to organise a regular carer/cleaner - that way, if things get worse, you will already have something in place and someone keeping an eye on things.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
So difficult to get them to drink if you're not around to suggest it. Has the doc suggested a follow up dip test to make sure it's all clear?

Caravanwalks

Jul 19, 2016
Hi thanks had the intensive home support service visit too and they will check every day for a period and we can work a plan on how the condition goes. They are going to do a dip test
Sorting extra care on standby too
Thanks everyone at least I can sleep tonight knowing she is safe

JayneB6367

Dec 18, 2013
Hi
Wonder if someone could help with some suggested next steps. My Mother is suffering with Dementia (approx 3 years), and currently lives alone and seems to have been coping really well. No care support really, but I ring him everyday.

Last night/this morning things changed she suddenly got worse, she was very confused late on and I thought I had persuaded her to go to bed after phone calls at 12:30.
This morning at 4am I had phone call from a neighbour that she had been found walking the streets. After rushing around she had been cooking eggs I guess for a couple of hours.
But she doesn't seem to know where she is. the house she has lived in for 30 years and she does seem to recognise me.

Obviously I am concerned about the rapid decline in her condition, and wondering about next steps - I am assuming the unfortunately a care home seems to be the best option - is it.

How do I move forward

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

Sounds like my Mother who went downhill very fast. She went from managing at home with family help and a carer to suddenly leaving the house, flagging down cars and turning up at the church and Drs at the oddest time of days banging on the doors.
With this disease this happens. You have a period of calm then a drastic step downwards followed by another period of calm, you never know for how long.
Sadly yes maybe a care home is the next step for you. It certainly was for us. Mum reacted badly first of all and is currently under a DOL order but has since settled.
Whilst that then comes with its own set of issues the one thing I hope you find is they are safe, cared for and most of the time happier as some of that agitation does go.
I do hope you get the help you need. POA is essential both financial and health and get the attendance allowance too.
Good luck.

Caravanwalks

Jul 19, 2016
Hi thanks had the intensive home support service visit too and they will check every day for a period and we can work a plan on how the condition goes. They are going to do a dip test
Sorting extra care on standby too
Thanks everyone at least I can sleep tonight knowing she is safe

Lindy9

Jul 19, 2016
Sudden worsening of dementia

Mum has suffered from Alzheimer's for a couple of years and has good and bad days. In the last couple of days she has had a bad time. Something has triggered a worsening of the condition... Could it be the heat/ dehydration/ infection. I am hoping it's only a temporary blip.. Any advice please? How do you get someone to drink more when she doesn't remember and doesn't realise she may be dehydrated.. I know also that the fire brigade have been to her as she burns her toast sometimes... Is there a toaster which will automatically shut off. Sorry if i am along these questions in the wrong forum but it's the first time I have posted...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Lindy9
welcome to TP
glad you posted as wherever you post someone will read and respond
if you want to start a new thread maybe use this area
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?70-I-care-for-a-person-with-dementia
just press the orange +Post New Thread button pretty much top left and off you go

If there has been a sudden change in your mum it may well be all 3 - so keep cool; maybe try a few 'ice packs' on forehead and wrists
dehydration certainly worsens things - keep on with the drinks (anything, doesn't have to be just water) or ice lollies/ice cream or jellies or fruit or anything with a high 'water' content - I'm afraid with dad I now pretty much tell him how to drink eg 'pick up the beaker and drink your squash all down' and really encourage him so he knows he's doing well; otherwise he'd take one small sip and carefully put the beaker as far away from him as possible so he doesn't knock it over - and I watch (trying not to hover right over him) so he does drink - if he has half, I give him a minute and then say 'oh dad, just finish that for me so I can take the mug to wash up' - I also realised that he has trouble picking up and holding some beakers/mugs so I now only use the ones he can handle; and the beakers for squash are plastic and brightly coloured so he can make them out, as he just doesn't see what's in front of him any more, in fact sometimes when I tell him to reach for his drink he doesn't know what I mean, so I try to remember to say 'pick up the beaker' or even put it in his hand
and check your mum for a UTI too, they are dreadful for increasing confusion - can you get a sample to her GP practice?

I think most toasters pop up toast and can be set to your preferred level (you might set it then cover up/jam the control so its not reset to highest=burnt) - just saw this one (chose it cos it's red and stands out)
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2926034.htm
I hope she's not enjoying the attentions of the lovely men in uniform too much ;) - actually it's useful that they have been involved as each callout will be logged and they'll be aware of her as vulnerable

best wishes