Help for dad

joppalass

Mar 18, 2014
Hi

Can anyone offer advice on how to help dad through the grieving process of losing mum? They both lived together in a care home since being diagnosed with dementia a few years ago having been together over sixty years. Mum had two TIA's in the last year, the second one left her bed ridden. She was put onto end of life care at the end of May and sadly died on the 2nd June. Along with coping with my own grief I am trying to help dad through his but as he has vascular dementia it's not easy.

Rosie7

Oct 30, 2014
Dad

Hi
I haven't any advice but I want to offer my sympathy.My mum died in similar circumstances in a care home 18months ago.My Dad who has mixed dementia moved in with us when Mum who had VD went into the home.He visited her every day for the year she was there and always thought she was in hospital and going to get better.They had been married for 59 years when she died.He hasn't exhibited much outward grief but he always knows she has died .He forgotten the circumstances of her death.He rarely speaks of her to me but does to other people.He was never one for showing emotion so maybe that's why his grief is not showing and maybe his dementia has shielded him a bit from the grief.I hope your Dad gets through this .It's so hard my parents were everything to each other.My best wishes to you.