Auditory hallucinations advice please

CarerCL

Jul 10, 2016
Hi
I'm new to the forum. I'm a 41 year old female, working but also caring for my mum who has moderate vascular dementia. My concern is her auditory hallucinations. She is under the care of an adult psychiatrist and is prescribed anti psychotic medication. I just don't know what to say to her when she asks me if I can "hear them"? Any advice or tips on what I can say would be very welcome!! Many thanks in advance!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Others may not agree but my advice would be to enter her world.

If asked 'can you hear them?' say something like 'didn't quite catch what they said' and then take it from there always being non committal.

In the short time my late wife could converse her favourite was weather forecasts, usually of extremes. I usually was able to turn it around to historic weather and events and thus change the topic and stop the hallucination.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My mum suffered from this too. I never lied to her but tried to keep background noise to help mask it for her. The more time she spends on her own the worse it will be. We watched a lot of movies and musicals together to divert her. I slso played thecradio. Keeping her dalm and unstressed will also help.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
My hubby heard music for a while. I love music, but at the times he could 'hear' it, there was nothing on, as it was normally first thing after he got up in the morning it happened. With hindsight, I could have asked him the tune. Who knows if he could have told me? It only happened about twice that I remember. He still, after all these years, keeps going on about his car. He hasn't had one now for as long as I can remember. At least 7 years, if not longer. I'm afraid I didn't know how to handle this one at the time it happened, CarerCL. Hindsight, as usual, is a wonderful thing :(

Do you think medication might help the situation?

CarerCL

Jul 10, 2016
Thanks Chuggalug. Mum's on medication, but it'll never stop 'the voices', just ease the distress hopefully! I'm going to try lots of distraction and lots of music. Thank you again

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
The thing my mum and i enjoyed the most was singing along to musicals. I have fond memories of Calamity Jane. It was very familiar to her.

valmo

Oct 5, 2015
hallucinations

I go along with my Mum and her belief in what is happening. This reassures her and I also get further infomation of her past life. It is usually her Mum,Dad and sister she converses with.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
auditory hallucinations advice

My Mum has conversations with 'people' and sees her family who have passed, it seems to happen when she's 'bored' when she goes to day care she will see her Sister there quite often but 'she didn't speak' Her Sister is 92yrs and fairly immobile living approx. 200 miles away, but I think sometimes its probably a comfort blanket if Mum thinks somebody she knows is around it might make her feel better, but I do mention to her that my it couldn't have been my Aunt, but it doesn't seem to matter what I say. This came to light when I asked if she would like to speak to my Aunt on the phone she replied she ignored me when I saw her yesterday, no I don't want to speak to her just now! xx