Who pays while waiting for assessment?

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Can I ask for advice please? Can anyone tell me when someone is moved from a hospital straight into a care home and they are not self funding who pays the bill while the LA carry out a fianancial assessment? I'm finding myself involved in my husband's uncles's affairs as he is 90 and there is no-one else and I have some experience now what with dad being in a home. My dad however is self funding but the uncle has never owned his own home, has we believe less than £10,000 in the bank and was moved to a home after breaking his hip twice in a month. My husbands mum(who is 83)says her brother recently signed a cheque for £2000 to the home unbeknown to anyone and yet the LA's assessment isn't completed yet as they have asked us more financial questions.Is this the correct procedure by the home? If he is found to be LA fully funded will he get this money back as isn't he allowed to keep some money being under the lower limit? He hasn't been formally diagnosed with dementia but his memory has deteriorated. Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Normally it would be left for the care home and the LA to sort things out.

Was any contract signed?

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Normally it would be left for the care home and the LA to sort things out.

Was any contract signed?

Unfortunately I really dont know Nitram but I will try to find out. The uncle lives some distance away and apart from visiting once whilst he was in hospital I'm not sure how he was moved into the home. My husband's mother leaves my husband to manage her financial affairs and so cannot really deal with this for her brother but I know she visited the care home before he moved in. I'm wondering if she let them think he was self funding. I think I will phone the carehome and ask them. There must be some miscommunication somewhere. The other problem is that no-one has LPA at the moment so finding out about his finances is going to be difficult. I think we can do it he isn't totally mentally incapacitated quite yet and I've done it before online but it will be a while before it comes through. My mum in law has been asked to become an appointee for my uncle in order to access his state pension. She has passed this onto my husband. Is this like being an attorney but only for state benefits? Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A DWP appointee account is an account in the appointee's name to solely handle any DWP pension and benefit on behalf of the person lacking capacity.

Problems with recouping the care fees are going to revolve around any contract signed, or agreement made, and the probable difference between self funding and LA rates.

Discharging directly into care from hospital should mean that the LA would assess that residential care was necessary unless it was for reablement. Were the LA involved in this discharge?

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Are you 100% sure that your uncle has actually signed a cheque to the home? I'm wondering because it does seem like a strange thing for the home to ask before the finances are sorted out, and I'm wondering if there has been some confusion. I think the first thing is to check with the home what the situation is and then follow it up with the LA.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Yes I do need to find out if a contract was signed. I can't believe I'm having to get involved in this seeing I have two parents with a dementia to worry about too but there is no-one else. I did think the LA placed uncle in a home as he fell twice after hospital discharges and was deemed by someone to be unable to stay in his own rented flat. I will do some more delving but as this is somewhat different to my own parents case I may have to ask you wonderful people the odd question or two. Thank you Nitram for replying about the appointee for DWP.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Since my last post Ive discovered that no contracts were signed and my uncle was placed in a care home recommended by the LA. I've spoken to the people who are completing my uncles' assessment and they say that while they are completing the financial assessment that my uncle should be paying no more than £130 a week which is the fee agreed between the home and the LA as a contribution towards costs until the assessment is completed. They say if he has overpaid that he will be reimbursed. It seems that I need to clarify this with his care home!

When I rang the LA I forgot to ask them about the appointee. My uncle hasn't lost his mental capacity completely yet as in my parents case. I'm wondering if I should get on with an LPA as its possibly going to be needed in the future. Does anyone know how long an appointee for the DWP is liable to take? I've read about interviews etc. The LPA for my mum took no longer than 5 weeks once it was sent off and no interviews were necessary. Thanks again.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
An appointee takes very little time.
A DWP person has to see the person to assess their capacity, the prospective appointee also has to be interviewed to check their suitability. That's it, job done, no cost.

Still worth while sorting out LPA for non DWP future use.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
An appointee takes very little time.
A DWP person has to see the person to assess their capacity, the prospective appointee also has to be interviewed to check their suitability. That's it, job done, no cost.

Still worth while sorting out LPA for non DWP future use.

Ok thank you that really helps me.