So, here we are.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I hope your Mum is found a proper bed today-not a good way to treat someone. I know it's not the DR's/nurses fault but really....:(

I'm wishing her a speedy recovery.

Love,

Lyn T XX

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
So sorry your Mum isn't well hope she is soon better and that a bed can be found for her. What a way to treat anyone but the elderly especially who should be entitled to some comfort and dignity. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Had a text this morning - she finally got a bed - in maternity! :-D She's had about four hours sleep since Sunday night, so I told her to try and sleep this morning and I'll come in the afternoon. They are quite strict about visiting times.
I asked my brother about the painting quote and he said not to do anything, he knows someone who does painting. The guy's away on holidays so it will be a couple of weeks before he sees him but he doesn't think it would be that expensive. I have filler etc and can do that myself.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
At least your mum has a bed Lady A . Much better than a stretcher.

It`s wonderful when someone you trust knows someone who can do work for you. Slowly over the years I`ve built up a cache of trusty workmen, all by recommendation and all proving their worth. It`s such a feeling of security when we need to depend entirely on ourselves.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm sorry to hear about your mother Lady A. I do hope she gets better - and back home very soon. A&E is not a place one wants to go to these days! Come to that, nor is anywhere in a hospital if you can possibly avoid it, especially if you are old!

I am trying to simplify my garden as even less strenuous digging is causing hip, back, neck and head pain. Like now - and that's just trying to clear stuff. I intend putting membrane down and cutting it around the shrubs that I am leaving so it would be easy for you to do that with your trees too. I'll just overlap the cut edges. I'm thinking of putting bark on top but am am concerned that the mower will blow it all over the place so I might have to use shingle, though that will be blown too! I am thinking of some sort of edging but then that's more work again! Sometimes it seems never -ending!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm sorry to hear about your mother Lady A. I do hope she gets better - and back home very soon. A&E is not a place one wants to go to these days! Come to that, nor is anywhere in a hospital if you can possibly avoid it, especially if you are old!

I am trying to simplify my garden as even less strenuous digging is causing hip, back, neck and head pain. Like now - and that's just trying to clear stuff. I intend putting membrane down and cutting it around the shrubs that I am leaving so it would be easy for you to do that with your trees too. I'll just overlap the cut edges. I'm thinking of putting bark on top but am am concerned that the mower will blow it all over the place so I might have to use shingle, though that will be blown too! I am thinking of some sort of edging but then that's more work again! Sometimes it seems never -ending!

I've got bark down on a big flowerbed - but no membrane underneath as it was already planted with a lot of perennials and bulbs. It doesn't blow around, but I have found over the years that I'm getting quite a crop of thistles coming up in it! Easy enough to pull out, but they seem to be in ever increasing numbers! Not sure if it's the bark changing the ph of the soil underneath or what.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I would think that's possible and there is an assortment of barks available too.
I have shingle on top of membrane in a few other small areas - where I couldn't face laying more slabs - and at least anything that grows on top of it is easily pulled out.

The chap who cuts my grass - praise be! - is pretty aggressive with his mower and anything other than the grass itself doesn't concern him. Where I'd be careful near the shingle patio etc. He will just carry on regardless. Neverthe less I am so grateful to have someone cutting my grass regularly that I forgive him anything!

How I long for a little courtyard garden. No concerns about hiding new monstrosities which have recently appeared and just a sunny corner for myself and dog to chill.
As it is I never seem to sit outside apart from when visitors call - and thusI rarely do of course!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I have bark down in a couple of places in the back garden and it does its job of suppressing weeds really well but I am really, really annoyed at the birds who forage through it looking for food and think it's fine to toss it everywhere. I have to go round picking it all off the lawn before I can cut. It took me 20 minutes Yesterday to pick up most of it. Today it once more looks a right mess because they have been at it again. Right now there are two thrushes and a blackbird throwing it around.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I find the birds do that whenever I have weeded a border. The chap who cuts the grass and who has Asperger's, had a go at me for leaving a mess on the lawn. I tried to explain that it was the birds rummaging in the freshly dig earth but I don't think he believed me!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
For months I have been wondering about this odd tapping noise I could hear. Not constant, but very regular. Couldn't track it down. One evening recently, I was in the garden, and the tapping started - this time a sort of double time tapping. And I spotted what it was - thrushes, hammering snails on rocks to break the shells! There were two of them, having a feast, tapping away, and digging through the heather bed for more!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
For months I have been wondering about this odd tapping noise I could hear. Not constant, but very regular. Couldn't track it down. One evening recently, I was in the garden, and the tapping started - this time a sort of double time tapping. And I spotted what it was - thrushes, hammering snails on rocks to break the shells! There were two of them, having a feast, tapping away, and digging through the heather bed for more!

Wow. You live in an awesome environment.

Aisling

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North

One of the most satisfying sounds here too!
They tend to have a favourite 'anvil', usually a stone, where you will find the broken shells.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Have you any thrushes I can borrow Lady A?

We dont have them here any more,and I have loads of snails this year :(

There are loads! Another satisfying sight is some of the smaller birds around here - tits and sparrows - happily picking aphids off the roses!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Update on mum.
She's in much better form, has had shed loads of antibiotics, the dermatologist came while I was there, mum's shakes are gone, she had a shower and was smothered in a whole large tub of aqueous cream, which is really greasy but wonderful for her skin. Destroys nightgowns, sheets, towels etc. but I told mum she just needs to plan ahead now - special nighties, old sheets etc.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, but I'm finding that this time, although she's been in hospital before (she has several health conditions, including heart problems) I didn't cope as well. I was sitting here at home the other night, and something came up, and I thought - "I can't phone mum and tell her about it. And the day is coming when she won't be there any more, and when things come up, there will be no-one for you to talk to about them." - very very upsetting, and made me feel suddenly very alone. Even though dau is there, and my two brothers are around. But I'm on the phone to mum every day, and often twice a day and in with her several times a week. My sister has been in Australia since the 1980s. I'm the one who does "stuff" with and for mum. It made realise that life is going to be pretty lonely when she's gone. I suppose maybe it's just like that, when we lose our mothers.

Thankfully, though, it looks like this time, she's ok. But I can see her health deteriorating recently - really, since she broke her hip two years ago. It left her with one short leg, and she needs to use a crutch. Don't know how it will be that she can manage on her own - and what then? Oh yes, what then? Mustn't borrow trouble!