What to do?

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Have reduced other half's haloperidol by half to 500 microgrammes morning and night. However he gas become quiet difficult before you hardly heard him speak now he is swearing and cursing. Tries to fight me when I try to wash or take him toilet he has more accidents as refuses to sit on toilet had to move the frame in toilet as it allows him to get up as soon as I sit him. He is tiring me out. I know antiphysotic med's are no good long term but a5 least things were easier. ....and the swear words I know it's the disease talking but it's not good around little man.....just moaning

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s a case of deciding which is the easiest to cope with Keegan.

It`s so sad you have your young son to worry about as well and hard for him to listen to his dad protesting.

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
I feel for you Keegan. For the last 7 months before he went into full time care, Peter would fight me when I tried to bathe him, wash him, get him up in the morning and would try to get off of the loo as soon as I sat him there. He also would take his faeces out of his pull ups and put it anywhere he fancied. He never swore: I don't think he had the mental capacity. Now in the nursing home he is aggressive to the carers as he was to me but more so. In my experience, I'm afraid you're coming to the end of the help you can give him at home.

All my best wishes,

Liz

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Scary reading your post....wouldn't it be easier just to leave him on the dose which makes him manageable. As I would not agree to a further reduction on the antiphysotic medication they have said to reduce the memantine so this week he is down to 5mg morning and night with a view to cut by half next week then none....

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Have reduced other half's haloperidol by half to 500 microgrammes morning and night. However he gas become quiet difficult before you hardly heard him speak now he is swearing and cursing. Tries to fight me when I try to wash or take him toilet he has more accidents as refuses to sit on toilet had to move the frame in toilet as it allows him to get up as soon as I sit him. He is tiring me out. I know antiphysotic med's are no good long term but a5 least things were easier. ....and the swear words I know it's the disease talking but it's not good around little man.....just moaning

Hello, Keegan2--

I'm new here & definitely not an expert, but my Hubby has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's, so I've been doing a LOT of reading lately.

From what I've read, SOMETIMES people who have been diagnosed with Parkinson's or Alzheimers may actually have a different type of dementia called "Lewy Body Disease." And sometimes, the only way this is found is when the patient has a really bad reaction to medicines like haloperidol.

Some doctors aren't even well aware of this condition, unfortunately, and may not recognize the negative reaction to the medicine as an indicator of LBD.

If someone has LBD, apparently they should not be taking some common meds.

Here's some info: at lbda.org/content/treatment-options (sorry, system says I can't post live links till 10 posts--not quite there yet)

Sending you hugs and goodwill. This is a hard journey.

Willow Tree

P.S. I would suggest talking to your doctor/showing him the info, to see what he thinks. Perhaps he's familiar with LBD.

Last edited: