Incontinence Issues

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Not a nice subject to ask for advice on but dad has recently in the last few weeks messed around 5 pairs of disposable pants a day and messed the carpet by treading in it.
Dad knows when he has left marks on the carpet but he just doesn't know when he has messed the pants until he goes for the loo and finds them heavily soiled. Has anyone else had this that they are aware when there's a mess on the carpet bed etc and worried about the mess they cause but not aware they are going ?
And no it's not wee
I am spending a fortune buying these disposable pants and it's only started in the last few weeks

carper8

Feb 26, 2014
lincolnshire
Not a nice subject to ask for advice on but dad has recently in the last few weeks messed around 5 pairs of disposable pants a day and messed the carpet by treading in it.
Dad knows when he has left marks on the carpet but he just doesn't know when he has messed the pants until he goes for the loo and finds them heavily soiled. Has anyone else had this that they are aware when there's a mess on the carpet bed etc and worried about the mess they cause but not aware they are going ?
And no it's not wee
I am spending a fortune buying these disposable pants and it's only started in the last few weeks

my husband is doubly incontinent,so i would see your incontinence nurse and she will maybe provide you with pads. my husband never knows when he has gone and i just have to have a good sense of smell and then i go and change him, like you say maybe up to 5 times a day. hope things get better for you

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
my husband is doubly incontinent,so i would see your incontinence nurse and she will maybe provide you with pads. my husband never knows when he has gone and i just have to have a good sense of smell and then i go and change him, like you say maybe up to 5 times a day. hope things get better for you
Thank you. Dad doesn't eat enough to go this much so no idea where it's all coming from.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Frequency does not necessarily equate with volume. Without knowing the volume and consistency of the soiling - I really don't need to know! :eek: but I was wondering if your dad might be constipated?
With compacted hard faeces trapped in the colon, people can experience overflow faecal incontinence, where liquid is forced around the obstruction. I would also suggest talking to the incontinence nurse.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Frequency does not necessarily equate with volume. Without knowing the volume and consistency of the soiling - I really don't need to know! :eek: but I was wondering if your dad might be constipated?
With compacted hard faeces trapped in the colon, people can experience overflow faecal incontinence, where liquid is forced around the obstruction. I would also suggest talking to the incontinence nurse.
I certainly don't want to go into detail but it's a lot more than I would want to see believe me

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
might he have a UTI? They always have an affect on mums incontinence and I know its not a nice thing to discuss, but poo over all the carpets is horrendous. Believe me I know!
My mum actually doesn't care when it is spread about everywhere, this is what I can't get my head around. she was always very particular - now she just says 'oh just leave it' :eek::eek:
it is one of the things that upsets me more than others. My nephew is supposed to be arranging a carpet fitter to fit lino in the hall and kitchen carpets (the last episode) to replace the carpets and make it easier to clean.

I feel for you I really do, good luck xx

Ed1964

Jan 18, 2012
Definitely talk to the nurse and doctor - it might well be a side effect of medication, lots of dementia meds give you that weakness.

Without being too gross, is it 'normal' faeces or the big 'D'? If it's the latter, check with the doc, but give him a big 'D' solidifier!
When my mum became incontinent in that way, it wasn't that she didn't care about treading it around, she didn't know she was doing it. The meds she was on made her stoned, a lot of dementia meds do. I gave her some diarrhoea pills. That gave her the time to get to the loo. Yes, she became bound up a bit, but hey, it was worth it. Stopped giving her fruit too. Frankly she's dementing, 5 a day just doesn't enter the bracket of important, whereas not doing that does! Changed meds, changed the outcome btw.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Dad isn't on any dementia meds only paracetamol for back pain and warfarin
Tested for a UTI and nothing
But getting more and more confused by the day and quite nasty