Council tax

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
My dad has Alzheimer's and is on full attendance allowance. He lives with mum who is on full attendance allowance also.Can dad get reduced council tax or does it depend on what money he has in the bank.?I have just glanced through some forms online and it needed to know how much work pension he gets and all about bank accounts that he has and how much is in them .Just wandering if it's worth all the hassle of filling it all in ,if it ends up being about how much money you have in the bank

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
He should get reduced council tax from the date they started getting AA. There is no means test so you don't have to declare any assets they have.

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Hi Spitty,

When I filled in a form for council tax exemption for mum it was very simple and did not want any bank details, just date of diagnosis, date attendance allowance began and the name of her doctor. I rang the local council who sent a form to me. Your parents doctor also has to sign the form.

Brambles x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"He should get reduced council tax from the date they started getting AA."

For 'they' read 'he'

Provided that the doctor signs stating that the person has 'a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent' on or before that date.

The ctax will be reduced by 25%.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
For our local council I filled the form in and gave Drs details - I assume they contacted the Dr for confirmation. It was very straightforward - I made the initial enquiry on line and they sent me the form. No means testing. It took a few weeks but we got 25% reduction.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
"He should get reduced council tax from the date they started getting AA."

For 'they' read 'he'

Provided that the doctor signs stating that the person has 'a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent' on or before that date.

The ctax will be reduced by 25%.

Since they are both now on AA is it not the case that they will pay no council tax in England?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Since they are both now on AA is it not the case that they will pay no council tax in England?"

Entitlement to AA in itself does not affect council tax but it may increase existing entitlement to some means tested benefits - Council Tax Benefits, Housing benefits, Pension Credit.

SMI is a disregard, for council tax purposes the person does not exist, this is important because if it was a discount it could affect other means tested benefits, LAs sometimes make the mistake of recording it as a discount.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
"SMI is a disregard, for council tax purposes the person does not exist, this is important because if it was a discount it could affect other means tested benefits, LAs sometimes make the mistake of recording it as a discount.

It's not clear in the OP, dad gets his AA for having AZ and go is disregarded, mum gets AA but we don't know why. So it appears (to me) that dad's AZ will get them a none means tested 25% discount, but without knowing why mum gets AA it's not possible to say if they do or don't qualify as a total disregard.
Back to Spitty's question, it differs with LA's what you have to do, I filled in an on-line form of about 20 questions, none of which relate to finances and sent it in.
The e-mailed me back asking for details, I took a picture on my phone of the consultant's letter to our GP with a diagnosis and the letter from the DWP awarding her DLA and mobility allowance, cheque arrived in the post backdated to the date of the diagnosis, easiest AZ related thing I've ever done, nearly £1k for 10 minutes work.
K

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
Thanks everyone for the replies which I found helpful,I have phoned the council and started to get on with things ,thanks again