PIP review

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Doesn't time go quickly!

It's just over 2.5 yrs since my husband was awarded PIP (assessed back then at the enhanced rate for both the daily living and mobility components) - and now it's time for a review.

Obviously my husband has not suddenly recovered his previous abilities since the last assessment, and although they have grown worse in many ways, he is still mobile so won't get any extra points that may lead to a Blue Badge.

I know they are only doing their job but the last thing I needed to come home to after a hectic day at work was a thick booklet for me to complete and return within three weeks.

I hope they decide another face to face assessment is not required as they already have a lot of info available - or if they do want a one to one assessment, that they will make it a home visit like they did last time.

I suppose, if nothing else, after his recent two month stay in a secure assessment unit I will have plenty of recent documentation available to accompany the application/ review.

Maybe I'll feel more inclined to face the paperwork over the weekend after a relaxing evening (if I'm that lucky) :)

mary2000

Mar 24, 2016
West Sussex
No matter how many times I go through it (I have rheumatoid arthritis and Addisons Disease) whenever the review booklet comes through the post I freeze. It is such an undertaking to complete it and it takes me so long.

I really hope it goes smoothly for you and that you don't have to go for an assessment again.

x

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
It's about a year since my wife was assessed. She has arthritis and Alzheimer's and was assessed for enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility. Her award was for 10 years. The comment against the length of the award was something like "as the condition is unlikely to improve the award is made for the maximum time which is 10 years".

Maybe there is a change of policy or maybe we fell lucky with the assessor but if your partner is on both enhanced rates it might be worth asking if the award can be extended.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Doesn't time go quickly!

It's just over 2.5 yrs since my husband was awarded PIP (assessed back then at the enhanced rate for both the daily living and mobility components) - and now it's time for a review.

Obviously my husband has not suddenly recovered his previous abilities since the last assessment, and although they have grown worse in many ways, he is still mobile so won't get any extra points that may lead to a Blue Badge.

I know they are only doing their job but the last thing I needed to come home to after a hectic day at work was a thick booklet for me to complete and return within three weeks.

I hope they decide another face to face assessment is not required as they already have a lot of info available - or if they do want a one to one assessment, that they will make it a home visit like they did last time.

I suppose, if nothing else, after his recent two month stay in a secure assessment unit I will have plenty of recent documentation available to accompany the application/ review.

Maybe I'll feel more inclined to face the paperwork over the weekend after a relaxing evening (if I'm that lucky) :)

Hi Lynne,
I remember that I was going through the original PIP application at about the same time as you.
It has recently been time for our review too and I've had to fill in all the dreaded forms.
No face to face interview was needed at all. They rang me to discuss a couple of points but that was more from the point of offering support, rather than quizzing me for assessment purposes.
The results came through quickly. Everything has been left the same financially but as the 'condition is not going to improve,' no review is needed for the next 10 years! I can request a review if mobility changes but it means no more forms or interviews for some time. I can put that on the back burner for a while now. Thank heavens.

Hope you had a relaxing evening and are ready to grit teeth and throw yourself into the paperwork.
Best wishes to you,
JigJog x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
No matter how many times I go through it (I have rheumatoid arthritis and Addisons Disease) whenever the review booklet comes through the post I freeze. It is such an undertaking to complete it and it takes me so long.

I really hope it goes smoothly for you and that you don't have to go for an assessment again.

x

Thank you Mary, I'm feeling a bit more positive today, I'm afraid I am not at my best just after getting home from work :) I do at least have the blessing of being able to write without pain - going through the form filling must be absolute nightmare for you :(
Thank you for your kind wishes that this review will go smoothly, it's much appreciated x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thank you BeardyD and JigJog - as you have both mentioned receiving a 10 year period before any further review I am encouraged that this might be the new way forward and that after this current review they will tell us the same thing.
*fingers crossed*
xx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Doesn't time go quickly!

I'm probably the only person on the planet who likes completing forms :eek:, which is why I did a stint last year for CAB, form filling for people, and I still do this at my church, who'll phone me when someone needs some help, as well as for friends and neighbours.

As others have said, you may well find that the current application will be for 10 years. But in any case, please stress, a zillion times, about your hubby being in a secure unit. Also, regarding the Mobility element, this doesn't just apply to being able to walk.

For example, if someone would be in danger, were they to go for a walk on their own, this is a mobility issue, and one that affects a lot of people with AD. Also, does your hubby still drive? If not, and he's needing someone to take him here, there and everywhere, that is also mobility issue.

With the forms I've completed, it's definitely been a case of "if you don't ask, you won't get". If you need any help, please don't hesitate to PM me. xxx

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Hi!

I also had to do this-about the same time span as yours. Was muttering and complaining as I redid the form!

However, as with others-came back with an award for 10 years....so worth it I suppose.

Although the accompanying comment that they could accept that his condition meant he would not get better -couldn't they have looked at the original form to see that?

Mustn't grumble.....:rolleyes:

mary2000

Mar 24, 2016
West Sussex
Thank you Mary, I'm feeling a bit more positive today, I'm afraid I am not at my best just after getting home from work :) I do at least have the blessing of being able to write without pain - going through the form filling must be absolute nightmare for you :(
Thank you for your kind wishes that this review will go smoothly, it's much appreciated x

Glad you are feeling more positive today that is good.

I agree with what else has been said that I am sure your husband should get a blue badge if you are are the high rate of mobility component. It is definitely worth checking out as it is a godsend for me that is for sure.

Again, hope it all goes smoothly and keep us posted. Sometimes just having a vent really helps!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Are you sure he doesn't qualify automatically for a Blue Badge with the enhanced mobility PIP? I only get the standard rate mobility PIP and they told me I could have a badge, I already had one at that time as I filled in a form and went for an assessment.

Check out the following ...

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/blue-badge-scheme

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181539/question-answer.pdf

Hi Margaret, thanks for your reply. No, my husband definitely doesn't automatically qualify. Although he gets the enhanced rate for the mobility component of PIP, his points are under the 'planning and following journeys' element of the award. He scored 0 points under the 'moving around' element last time, which is where the Blue Badge qualification seems to apply in England.

He will still score 0 points this time around as he has no problem with walking, albeit he is slower these days and a bit more cautious as his judgement on how close obstacles are is becoming impaired.

Thank you for the links, much appreciated :)

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My OH ( Doesn't have dementia) is an amputee. He didn't get a 10 year award- maybe they think his arm will suddenly re grow?:D

The reasoning behind this is really silly at times

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I'm probably the only person on the planet who likes completing forms :eek:, which is why I did a stint last year for CAB, form filling for people, and I still do this at my church, who'll phone me when someone needs some help, as well as for friends and neighbours.

As others have said, you may well find that the current application will be for 10 years. But in any case, please stress, a zillion times, about your hubby being in a secure unit. Also, regarding the Mobility element, this doesn't just apply to being able to walk.

For example, if someone would be in danger, were they to go for a walk on their own, this is a mobility issue, and one that affects a lot of people with AD. Also, does your hubby still drive? If not, and he's needing someone to take him here, there and everywhere, that is also mobility issue.

With the forms I've completed, it's definitely been a case of "if you don't ask, you won't get". If you need any help, please don't hesitate to PM me. xxx

Thanks Scarlett, I'll definitely make sure they are aware of all the worsening of abilities since the last assessment. I am expecting them to continue with the enhanced rate for both parts but as far as I can tell he needs at least 8 points in the 'moving around' criteria as far as the Blue Badge goes, but he scores 0 in that section.

Hubby has never driven (thank goodness, one less obstacle to face) and he definitely needs someone with him at all times now (when last assessed he was still making short journeys alone, so maybe he'll get more points this time.

I'll tell them as it is (in great detail) and see where we go from there.

Thanks for your help, I may well need to take you up on your offer to PM if I get lost along the way :) xxx

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London

Thanks Scarlett, I'll definitely make sure they have the full picture of all that's changed since my husband was first assessed. They will also have info on their records about hubby's stay in the secure unit as I had to notify them at the time about his stay there so that they could stop his PIP payments..

My husband has never driven thank goodness (one less obstacle for us to deal with) and he cannot go out unaccompanied now (compared to two years ago when he was able to make short trips alone). He still has very good road safety awareness but he needs someone with him as he can barely get to the end of the garden path before losing track of which way to go.

On the website of the organisation that deals with Blue Badges in my borough it states that you have to have 8 points or more under the 'moving around' criteria for PIP. Although my husband gets the enhanced rate, his points are all under the 'planning and following journeys' element.

Last time he scored nothing for the 'moving around' criteria because he 'can stand up and move 200 metres either aided or unaided'. That hasn't changed at all, he is slower and more cautious now, but has no problem in moving.

I am afraid I procrastinated today and the forms are still untouched. Tomorrow should be less hectic and I'll try to get them done then.

Thank you for your offer of help via PM - I'll let you know if I get stuck xxx :)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Darn, I've just realised that I've posted two replies to Scarlett. I did one and couldn't see it, so started again. I think the gist is much the same though :)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi!

I also had to do this-about the same time span as yours. Was muttering and complaining as I redid the form!

However, as with others-came back with an award for 10 years....so worth it I suppose.

Although the accompanying comment that they could accept that his condition meant he would not get better -couldn't they have looked at the original form to see that?

Mustn't grumble.....:rolleyes:

That's very good news :) It would help if some element of common sense was applied before reviewing. As you say, just looking at the original form should flag up cases where things will not get better.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Get help from AgeUK with the form filling. Round here, they are the experts!

Thanks Spamar - it's not that I struggle with form filling as such, I've a good idea of what they are looking for having gone through the process a couple of years ago.

I think my main problem is that I just feel tired, a bit down and generally lethargic which is making me not want to tackle it right now.

I was planning to do it today but my husband seems extra 'needy' at the moment so I can't concentrate on it. Maybe he is just picking up on my general 'low' feelings at the moment and that is making him restless.

It's sunny out today so maybe our regular walk down to the corner shop to get the papers will make us both feel a bit better. :)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm another who can confirm that you don't need to have the higher rate for mobility in order to get a blue badge. I've posted more than once about how this can be done and will see if I can find one of the posts. Basically if you phone the helpline mentioned when you are completing the online application, they tell you exactly what to do. It all hinges on getting to a place where you are able to detail the walking difficulties that make the badge necessary.

Last edited: