Hello from USA

usalori

Mar 31, 2008
Ohio USA
Hi All,

I just happened across this forum and I cannot believe how many similarities so many of us have in caring for our loved ones with dementia. Just knowing that there are others out there who know what it's like is so comforting.

Mom, who is 65, had a hemorragic (sp?) stroke last May due to kidney failure. She has been in and out of hospitals and NH and rehab since then with kidney failures, a seizure from which she had to be rescusitated, and drug-resistant infections caused by the tubes in her kidneys. After her initial stroke, she was in a coma for about 2 weeks and when she finally awoke, we were hopeful that we'd get her brain functioning back with therapy and rehab. But the series of kidney failures and seizure have apparently sent her into a form of dementia that is only getting worse. It has taken this long to get the diagnosis. Now she is in an assisted living facility and like so many of you have posted, she has her lucid moments which really make me question whether we've done the right thing. She's fallen and broken her hip and is confused much of the time, angry much of the time, weepy much of the time, and lucid many times and back to almost her "old" self. She has no short-term memory whatsoever and is unable to care for herself in the least.

It is an incredible cruel and painful process to watch this disease take my Mom away and turn her into a shell of the vibrant, happy, loving person she once was. It is a true relief to find so many others here who are going through the same experiences with their loved ones.

I look forward to talking to you all through these posts.

Lori

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Lori,
Welcome to Talking Point.
It is so destressing when we read of a loved ones herrendous illness.
Although there are so many different experiences, here on Talking Point everyone have their own worries, questions etc., but we all try to help each other.
My husband was diagnoised at 58 and he is now 61 in the last stage in a E.M.I. Unit.
We can only do what we think is best for our loved ones.
Hopefully, you will receive plenty of help and support here for your Mother.
More people will come on line to welcome you
Best wishes
Christine

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Lori,

Welcome to Talking Point and glad you found us!

The lucid moments are what keep me going some days but can see where you are coming from about these moments making you wonder if you've done the right thing. It is almost like going back in time for a moment.

Kind Regards
Craig

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Lori, welcome to TP.

Your mum has had a very tough time, especially as she's so young. She's lucky she has you to care for her.

Please join in wherever you can, you'll find lots of friendship and support here.

Best wishes,

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
HI Lori

Welcome. TP makes you feel "normal" whatever that is as you can chat about the problems with people who understand.

Your Mum has had a rough time which no doubt means that you have too! Dementia is such a difficult illness to deal with when you see the lucid times. It is funny but thay can be the most distressing times too.

Mameeskye

mollieblue

May 16, 2007
belfast
Welcome Lori,
Yes it is a relief to know that the wide range of feelings and emotional you feel as you go through this process are all "normal", that as you share how you feel there will be many people who will respond and say they've felt the same! It really does help sometimes just to know that you're not going mad, not a bad daughter if you feel you can't cope - you're just human like all of us. The guilt is a nightmare - I'm still not coping well with that one.
the advise and support is great on this forum. feel free to post again soon. ann x

usalori

Mar 31, 2008
Ohio USA
Thanks so much, Ann & Margaret. Ann, you hit the nail right on the head with the big "G" word. The guilt...it is the hardest thing to deal with in all of this.