Struggling to get oh to drink.....

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Really struggling to get liquids down him....ice lollies work but after the 3rd one (given throughout day) even he gets fed up with them. Lack of fluid means no passing of urine twice a day if I lucky even though I tty and take him every so often. The other problem is passing stools he went after 8vdays last time and now it's 8 days again and nothing eating is not a problem don't know what to do.....memory clinic Dr coming to the house tomorrow. Have reduced the haliperidol to half the dosage in this preriod so he has become more resistant to doing things.....

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Really struggling to get liquids down him....ice lollies work but after the 3rd one (given throughout day) even he gets fed up with them. Lack of fluid means no passing of urine twice a day if I lucky even though I tty and take him every so often. The other problem is passing stools he went after 8vdays last time and now it's 8 days again and nothing eating is not a problem don't know what to do.....memory clinic Dr coming to the house tomorrow. Have reduced the haliperidol to half the dosage in this preriod so he has become more resistant to doing things.....

Will he take jelly? it's mostly fluid so would help. Prunes and or juice, if you can get him to take it might help bowels and also massaging the tummy in circles will help to move things along, warm wheatbag helps too.

Hope something helps.:)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Try to give him fruit and veg that's high in water content, like cucumber or melon. For constipation he needs fibre. Bananas are good, but the GP could also prescribe something like Fybogel to keep things moving - then again that's a liquid.

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Smooth drinks .

really struggling to get liquids down him....ice lollies work but after the 3rd one (given throughout day) even he gets fed up with them. Lack of fluid means no passing of urine twice a day if i lucky even though i tty and take him every so often. The other problem is passing stools he went after 8vdays last time and now it's 8 days again and nothing eating is not a problem don't know what to do.....memory clinic dr coming to the house tomorrow. Have reduced the haliperidol to half the dosage in this preriod so he has become more resistant to doing things.....

my wife was the same .sorry im dislix so bae with me. Smooth drinks full of vitmin nice to drink,get in sainaburys.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Thanks all for quick responses will try anything. Just don't want the situation to get out of control. .....

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi keegan2
sometimes when dad was reluctant to drink he was happy to accept a drink in an individual carton through the straw - don't know why; he did seem to go through a phase where using a glass was tricky, so I changed to a plastic beaker, no handle, and also noticed that he had more difficulty with some shapes, he preferred wider at the top than the bottom, not a straight up and down, and not a narrow opening - and he would take one sip then think he'd done, so I had to tell him to 'drink it all down until the beaker /carton is empty - and he would shake the carton to check)
when he was constipated - banana, pineapple juice, porridge, prunes, prune juice recommended - then senna tablets and movicol - he was happy to eat fruit but not if given a whole fruit eg apple, either cut up into finger chunks or made into a fruit salad in fruit juice (and, I admit, a drop or 2 of alcohol) or packed into a jelly

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My OH doesn't drink much but does better oddly if sitting at the table. If I put him a drink with his meal at the table he drinks it. Put it on his side table never touches it. Fortunately not constipated but still worries me.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Hi keegan2
sometimes when dad was reluctant to drink he was happy to accept a drink in an individual carton through the straw - don't know why; he did seem to go through a phase where using a glass was tricky, so I changed to a plastic beaker, no handle, and also noticed that he had more difficulty with some shapes, he preferred wider at the top than the bottom, not a straight up and down, and not a narrow opening - and he would take one sip then think he'd done, so I had to tell him to 'drink it all down until the beaker /carton is empty - and he would shake the carton to check)
when he was constipated - banana, pineapple juice, porridge, prunes, prune juice recommended - then senna tablets and movicol - he was happy to eat fruit but not if given a whole fruit eg apple, either cut up into finger chunks or made into a fruit salad in fruit juice (and, I admit, a drop or 2 of alcohol) or packed into a jelly

Thanks Shedrech lots of good advice to take on board. At the moment because of lack of fluid he is very constipated 10 days now going doctors tomorrow, I have been trying everything fruit, prune juice and movicol mixed in yoghurt but still no luck. Other half is still eating like normal but his tummy is now hurting if i touch it. Think he is blocked up when this is cleared I will be changing his diet completely so we do not get to to this stage (first time to experience this problem).

Mum&me

Feb 10, 2016
My mum was unable to hold anything and was bedridden in the final stage of vascular dementia. I used cartons of juice or fortisip gently pushing fluid up the straw being careful to avoid choking . Also - peeled grapes sometimes cut in half. Full of water and vits. I've posted on this in more detail . Hope I can help.