Can anyone recommend a book?

Hermes

Oct 8, 2014
Hello
Sadly my mum has progressed onto the middle stages of dementia and is now in a local care home.
Can any one recommend a book which will explain the reasons for common behaviours e.g. why the 'fiddling', pacing. How to promote well being and communicate and 'tune in' better.
After living at least 100 miles away from my mum for the past 40 years I can now visit regularly and would like my visits to be as positive as I can for as long as possible.

Many thanks
Hermes

jjude

Jan 4, 2011
England
I read a wonderful book called The Gift of Alzeimers. It is available on Amazon though it doesn't explain anything about behaviours . It is a book about communication. I found it uplifting and enlightening and would recommend it.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Hello
Sadly my mum has progressed onto the middle stages of dementia and is now in a local care home.
Can any one recommend a book which will explain the reasons for common behaviours e.g. why the 'fiddling', pacing. How to promote well being and communicate and 'tune in' better.
After living at least 100 miles away from my mum for the past 40 years I can now visit regularly and would like my visits to be as positive as I can for as long as possible.

Many thanks
Hermes

"Dementia the one-stop guide" by June Andrews thoroughly recommended.

Ed1964

Jan 18, 2012
Hi. Just read 'Adventure In Dementia' by Mitch Bailey from Amazon e-book. Just a nice book from a carers perspective.

Sorry to say this, but the fiddling and pacing could well be boredom! I'd be bored stuck in one building 24/7 without my stuff. My mum smokes imaginary cigarettes in the CH. I take her out for some real ones. stops the behaviour for a bit.

Try taking your mum for a walk? That also seems to help with my mum.

Behaviours can be linked to medication too. any changes there? If so did that coincide with changes in behaviour? If so, ask questions.

Otherwise try to think about what would cheer you up if you were living there? Then do those things for mum.

Ed

Susan.J.

Jun 25, 2016
Australia
Hi Hermes. My Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia yesterday, so I don't have much knowledge on the subject yet, but I ordered 2 books called 'Activities To Do With Your Parent Who Has Alzheimer's Dementia' by Judith A Levy, and 'Adapting To Alzheimer's - Support For When Your Parent Becomes Your Child' by Sheryl Lynn Harris. Maybe if you read some of the topics in the books by searching online it may help.