Need a break

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Hi ,

My husband and I need really need a break from looking after my mum (87) who lives with us.
She is mid stage alzheimers.

The Care home she goes to weekly for her shower is full ( I am on a waiting list) and the one carer we have once a week cant stay all week and my mum really cant be left.

How can I find someone reliable that I can trust to look after her. She is very hard of hearing which makes it difficult for her if the carers have any accents and gets very confused when she cant understand them, so I have to be very careful when looking for someone to fit the bill. The care agency the carer comes from has no other ladies suitable for mum.
Its very frustrating when you just need a week off.
Any suggestions welcome

tara1

May 22, 2012
Get in touch with social services for a list of care homes will provide respite, you and your husband deserve and need a break if you are continue to look after your mother. Good luck
Tara1 xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
After contacting my mums social worker to help me with finding a suitable care home for a weeks respite he gave me a list of care homes in the area.

I spent the next 2 weeks trying to find a suitable home (nearly all full), 54 phone calls later and many viewings have left me shocked and surprised by what I have seen.

Some of the homes were absolutely lovely more like good quality hotels. The prices varied from £700 per week to £2000 . The most suitable home (about 20 miles away) was just right for mum and only £1000 but unfortunately they double booked us so we were let down. I have at last found a good home that is mid price and they are coming to assess mum tommorrow to see if she is suitable for them. The main problem for mum is that she is only at the beginning of dementia ,but not safe enough to leave home alone. I live in Crawley, West Sussex and wonder if any other members live nearby and can recommend good care homes around my area.
Many thanks