Anybody-Somebody-Nobody

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Rough day. Please send me any hug you can. Today, I asked myself: "What's my name?"
Wait. I know my name. That is silly. Moments later it came to me. Grrr.
Why am I in this room-what did I want to do? What did I need? Gone. Gone. Gone. Why am I holding this? What would I use this thing for? Have I seen this show before? Don't know. No clue. Did I take my medicine? I only have the question and have no means to move further to discovery. Was it AM or PM -what day is it? Ask myself repeatedly -over and over I find the answer, but it won't stay with me. When I know the answer -what does it really mean because dementia robs you of any reasoning on why you needed to know. Why didn't I remember to use deodorant today-I smell terribly-a rare event......I hope. I paid with the credit card-oh no-that's my laundry card. Sorry. Why did I hand the clerk the receipt that he just gave to me? Did I take my medicine? What? I sent the class for an assembly that's not till tomorrow? My assistants say, "No big deal." I am embarrassed. Are they used to mistakes I am not even aware of? I hope not! Sigh.
Rough. Not usually this bad.
Anybody still working with dementia?
Somebody help me to feel normal, please!
Nobody should forget their own name or go through this.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Do people at work know of your diagnosis? I hope the day improves for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Aprilbday.

Your assistants may try to reassure you but it doesn`t always work. I do hope you have someone to call on who understands.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Rough day. Please send me any hug you can. Today, I asked myself: "What's my name?"
Why am I in this room-what did I want to do? What did I need? Gone. Gone. Gone. Why am I holding this? What would I use this thing for? Have I seen this show before? Don't know. No clue. Did I take my medicine? I only have the question and have no means to move further to discovery. Was it AM or PM -what day is it? Ask myself repeatedly -over and over I find the answer, but it won't stay with me. When I know the answer -what does it really mean because dementia robs you of any reasoning on why you needed to know. Why didn't I remember to use deodorant today-I smell terribly-a rare event......I hope. I paid with the credit card-oh no-that's my laundry card. Sorry. Why did I hand the clerk the receipt that he just gave to me? Did I take my medicine? What? I sent the class for an assembly that's not till tomorrow? My assistants say, "No big deal." I am embarrassed. Are they used to mistakes I am not even aware of? I hope not! Sigh.

Hello aprilbday - yours is one of the toughest posts to read. It is harrowing to be a witness to another persons suffering. You are being so honest about your condition and we, as readers are powerless to do anything other than give you our love and support. I can only hope that you are being guided by people close to you who loves you. It feels demeaning to suggest that you have all the aids in place to help you through your day? You are an intelligent lady but today the disease nearly got the better of you. Tomorrow may be vastly better. I am resentful at being unable to offer anything other than a listening ear, compassion and friendship. The hug is a given!!!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London

Big hugs for you - the world must feel such a scary place on days like this. I know, because I see the anxiousness in my husband's eyes from time to time when he has a more complicated day than usual.
I do hope there is awareness and support at your workplace xxx

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Sending a hug too April.
You have no need to feel embarrassed, rather the opposite - proud of yourself for carrying to the best of your ability on in the face of adversity. I'm sure your assistants are in awe of you, they sound understanding.
I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
sending heartfelt hugs to you April. I hope you are feeling a bit better as the day goes on xxxxxx

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
stay strong as ever April. These days are sent to give you the chance to show us and those around you just how strong and capable you really are. Be proud of what you accomplish every day not dwell on what you fail, occasionally. You are a credit and inspiration to us all.

bucket loads of hugs and kisses from an avid supporter.

Wayne xxx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I think you do amazing April to still be working. Agree with Wayne, concentrate on what you can do not what you can't, let the others worry about the latter. Otiruz is right, today is not one of your better days but lets all hope tomorrow will be.

Very best to you
Sue:)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Sorry

April you had a tough day :( YOU ARE amazing :) still working ( my Sister is a Head Teacher of a School > for younger Children who are 10 or younger then 10)

Thinking of you , sending lots of love , Hugs & Kind thoughts & hope tomorrow is a better day for you

Love Grove X X

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Yes. I do IT support at a hospital (of all places!). I also struggle doing things I've done for years some days and not others. I can have conversations with colleagues and moments later have no idea what we talked about, or that we've even spoken.

It's hard but I'm determined to continue as long as I can.

And have a hug from me.

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
April, I admire you - still working! On bad days I have been known to dread opening my eyes to face another day - let alone getting off to a job! If your doctor agrees maybe you could try some natural supplements. The Sundowner's and dementia were over-powering me: it was hell on earth and I don't use that word! The 4 different meds the doctor tried all gave me convulsions - something I had never had in my life! Then it took months to get them out of my system and stop
the convulsions! I tried a natural product - I have an understanding doctor. I still have a 70 year old brain and Parkinson's and am forgetful at times but I will say that the dementia is gone! Thank God! Hope this is a help to you from one who has been there and prays never to return. Hug, hug, hug.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
April, I admire you - still working! On bad days I have been known to dread opening my eyes to face another day - let alone getting off to a job! If your doctor agrees maybe you could try some natural supplements. The Sundowner's and dementia were over-powering me: it was hell on earth and I don't use that word! The 4 different meds the doctor tried all gave me convulsions - something I had never had in my life! Then it took months to get them out of my system and stop
the convulsions! I tried a natural product - I have an understanding doctor. I still have a 70 year old brain and Parkinson's and am forgetful at times but I will say that the dementia is gone! Thank God! Hope this is a help to you from one who has been there and prays never to return. Hug, hug, hug.

Jaffy that's wonderful to read, what did you take?