What is your local NHS Trust like?

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Had a visit from the "memory clinic" today - spoke to my Uncle like he was 6 years old and told me i was doing a fantastic job - They will now check in on a yearly basis

This is the reality of "dementia care" 2016

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Had a visit from the "memory clinic" today - spoke to my Uncle like he was 6 years old and told me i was doing a fantastic job - They will now check in on a yearly basis

This is the reality of "dementia care" 2016

Its really poor, not dissimilar to the call I had. You are doing a fantastic job I'm sure but it isn't your job.:( I guess they didn't point you in any direction for 'real' help in the interim between their visits?

Tragicuglyducky

Apr 4, 2016
Yeah I just got the yearly check thing too! With any luck my dad will die within a year (mean this in the kindest way, I know he's devastated at being so helpless). He's deteriorating so quickly I dread to think what he will be like in a years time!

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Whenever anyone visits Mam, I ask for contact details. I never ring anyone, I prefer emails and the back up they offer, but it is handy to have a number in case of an emergency.

Email is a good way of keeping records. Bear in mind that a lot of these services are so overstretched that the recipient may not see the email until the next day, or the day after, because they're out of the office doing assessments.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
@Sue J

Went through "everything available" and decided "real help" wasnt available

The memory clinic are just ticking boxes and filling in forms

Meanwhile people are passing with little or no help at all

Irs Very sad - but its true

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
my personal view is that they are desperate to get people diagnosed to meet Government targets and that organisations now refuse help to people who are not diagnosed which leaves a massive gap and so many people falling through the safety net of basic information.

It wouldn't be so bad if memory clinics properly supported people but the information coming back strongly indicates that they don't. They could so easily be hubs for making sure people are safe, have all the charity supports in place, have all the benefits in place and the helpline numbers but they don't. They are in the main useless with a load of people getting very high salaries doing what you or I could do so much better.

I am still working but I make sure I go to carers cafes just to give people information and to try to make sure that a small group are well supported. Organisations don't have the time to help people with attendance allowance forms and then the Govt whinge that there isn't take up - of course there isn't - an 85+ year old couple have enough difficulty dealing with the day to day problems of caring without filling in a 50 question booklet in the right way to ensure they get the allowance - makes my brain ache. I'm really good (sorry not pat on the back time lol) at filling in these forms for people and it takes me a few hours. Nightmare
Rant over, but most memory clinics are useless and they could be a great resource

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I agree with you both byrnedjp and fizzie, as a former HCP and now a sufferer I am horrified and frustrated at the same time at the 'care' that isn't available and in my experience and opinion its down to beauracracy. When I got a call the other day from the CMHT it was like being called from a shopping site to say we haven't forgotten your order, let me check what it was with you i.e. very personal details discussed as if it was my shopping list with someone I've never met in my life - does nothing to foster trust or confidence - well its certainly not same-day delivery as I said I've been waiting 7 years going 8 now.:(:mad: But no doubt the box next to my name was ticked to say they spoke with me so I am alive! My heart really hurts for everyone going through this, sufferer or carer, it is not as it should be.