Eyes shut

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
I visit every other day and my hubby is getting more tired by the week. He now closes his eyes all the time and won't look at me. He only knows me now. He is well cared for but immobile. He eats less these days and needs persuading to drink. He looks well, still having his color compared to other pasty complexioned residents. Has anyone else come across this shutting eyes stage?

Zana

May 12, 2016
My mother in law used to do that.

It seemed she felt calmer when she closed her eyes, almost as if by seeing things it produced too much stimulus.

Now days she choses who she looks at and what..My SIL has found mum will happily watch musical films or music dvds but when people talk to her she often just shuts her eyes.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I agree with Zana plus it may be that the image in his head of the person talking to him is not what he sees in front of him so he shuts his eyes as its too confusing.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
My wife often has her eyes shut. There was a period when they were mostly shut. Now she opens them a bit more often. I certainly wouldn't assume that it's a worrying symptom. I believe it's quite common.

It is hard to know how another person is seeing the world but dementia can affect vision as it can anything else so it could be that the way a PWD sees things becomes too confusing at times.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My late Husband had very bad spacial awareness so I often wondered if that was the reason he shut his eyes so often. He used to do 'sleeping eating' and talked (when he could) with his eyes shut.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much.

Love

Lyn T XX

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I visit every other day and my hubby is getting more tired by the week. He now closes his eyes all the time and won't look at me. He only knows me now. He is well cared for but immobile. He eats less these days and needs persuading to drink. He looks well, still having his color compared to other pasty complexioned residents. Has anyone else come across this shutting eyes stage?

My husband used to do this a lot too. I wondered if the "picture" he saw when he shut his eyes was more comforting, and clearer, than the one he saw when they were open. He would often say something, with his eyes shut, and 2 seconds later was snoring away.

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
My husband often shuts his eyes when he's doing something. It's quite bizarre but it's as if his brain can only do one thing at a time ie he's using his hands so can't watch as well. I've been thinking this for some time as he started keeping on arm completely inactive when using the other one to wash