Retention of care home records

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
Does anyone have a definitive answer on how long a care home must keep original records on a former (not deceased) resident?

I've had several different replies.

A care home manager has told me that the complete and original documentation must be kept by care home for a minimum of 7 years - she does have young adults in her care, so would that affect these rules?

cqc say:

The CQC does not stipulate retention periods, May I suggest that you have a look at the information provided by the British Medical Association with regards to the retention of medical records by clicking here. The tables quote the advice given in Department of Health (2006) Records management: NHS code of practice and show actual timeframes. The retention period for hospital records is eight years after the conclusion of treatment or death (this does not include maternity, children and young people and non-specified secondary care records or records for those persons within the meaning of the Mental Health Act).

The Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014: Regulation 17 simply states that:

Providers must securely maintain accurate, complete and detailed records in respect of each person using the service and records relating the employment of staff and the overall management of the regulated activity.

17(2)(d) Providers must observe data protection legislation about the retention of confidential personal information.
17(2)(c) Records relating to the care and treatment of each person using the service must be kept and be fit for purpose.
17(2)(c) Information in all formats must be managed in line with current legislation and guidance.

Does anyone know the answer? Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Not a clue but from your quote "The retention period for hospital records is eight years after the conclusion of treatment or death (this does not include maternity, children and young people and non-specified secondary care records or records for those persons within the meaning of the Mental Health Act)."
Best practice I would suggest would be to match the NHS standards so 8 years from their discharge although why people covered by the mental health act (which means what exactly) are exempt.
I would guess they may want to keep the record to cover themselves in case any allegations are made about the care given, destroying records may been seen as a cover up.
K