Care Home questions

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
The behaviour of my FIL has become very aggressive and sadly he can no longer stay in his sheltered housing flat. Twice now someone has had to prevent him from physically attacking another resident.
I have made a list of care homes in the area who have a good CQC report and emailed them for information. His care co-ordinator has said he needs a EMI unit and will need a continuing care assessment. Can someone tell me what this is? Also what should I be asking the care homes when I visit?
This has come as a shock I thought he was a long way off a home yet.
I know this has been covered in the past but I'm not very computer savvy and I can't seem too get anywhere with a search.
Thanks for your help. I would never have coped without TP.
Vera

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Continuing care assessment, is basically a funding assessment. ( which is different to a actual financial assessment)

Continuing care funding is very difficult to get awarded, but if you are lucky enough, all costs will be paid.

If Not, A financial assessment establishes if he will be self funded or funded by your local authority.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry you are having to look at care homes. He will need a dedicated demantia (EMI) unit because of his challenging behaviour. The staff on a dementia unit will be better trained in dementia and have experience. I doubt an ordinary CH would be able to cope with his aggression.
One of the best questions you could ask IMO is what sort of behaviour they would not be able to cope with as this will give you an indication right at the beginning whether it would be suitable or not and will save you looking in any more detail if it isnt.
Dont worry about fancy decor or looking like a 5* hotel. Ask yourself if he would really use any fancy facilities. Its the quality of the care that you want and you can only judge that by going and looking. I would recommend a homely atmosphere and good carers.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Continuing care assessment, is basically a funding assessment. ( which is different to a actual financial assessment)

Continuing care funding is very difficult to get awarded, but if you are lucky enough, all costs will be paid.

If Not, A financial assessment establishes if he will be self funded or funded by your local authority.

Thank you for your help much appreciated.
Vera

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Im sorry you are having to look at care homes. He will need a dedicated demantia (EMI) unit because of his challenging behaviour. The staff on a dementia unit will be better trained in dementia and have experience. I doubt an ordinary CH would be able to cope with his aggression.
One of the best questions you could ask IMO is what sort of behaviour they would not be able to cope with as this will give you an indication right at the beginning whether it would be suitable or not and will save you looking in any more detail if it isnt.
Dont worry about fancy decor or looking like a 5* hotel. Ask yourself if he would really use any fancy facilities. Its the quality of the care that you want and you can only judge that by going and looking. I would recommend a homely atmosphere and good carers.

Thank you that is something that wouldn't have occurred to me. I'm taking my daughter with me when I look round she has some experience of care homes but hasn't worked in one for nearly 20 years so I'm hoping she will see what I don't.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
The behaviour of my FIL has become very aggressive and sadly he can no longer stay in his sheltered housing flat. Twice now someone has had to prevent him from physically attacking another resident.
I have made a list of care homes in the area who have a good CQC report and emailed them for information. His care co-ordinator has said he needs a EMI unit and will need a continuing care assessment. Can someone tell me what this is? Also what should I be asking the care homes when I visit?
This has come as a shock I thought he was a long way off a home yet.
I know this has been covered in the past but I'm not very computer savvy and I can't seem too get anywhere with a search.
Thanks for your help. I would never have coped without TP.
Vera

Hello Vera's den

I have copied something I wrote a few weeks ago which may help a little when looking at homes.

My first port of call was the CQC websites which are an absolute must for anyone looking for a care or nursing home. Then I made general enquiries amongst all my friends, particularly those who had had first hand experience of homes. After this, I went visiting - some unannounced, some by appointments. I saw everything from "the Dorchester" to "one flew over the cuckoo's nest". I actually sat outside and cried after visiting one home.

I chose a home based on my observations of the 'care' not whether they had an aromatherapy suite, or whether the visiting hairdresser was Vidal Sasoon trained!. I knew enough to know that most homes have a certain odour and that money spent on essentials is better than money spent on state-of-the-art wallpaper. Do the staff bother to ask a resident if they need a cardigan when it's a cool day, or would they be able to distract a difficult sundowning resident who has become agitated. Do the carers recognise that the residents require dignity, respect and love. or is it just a job. Is the care home manager approachable, are the staff trained or are they just cheap labour? Are the beds clean, does it look like home, rather than 'a home'. Are they flexible in their attitude or is it run like a prison camp? Can you visit when it's convenient for you not the home? What does the food look and taste like, are the residents provided with stimulation or left to their own devices because it's easier that way? Is their privacy respected but as their condition progresses are their changing needs discussed with you.

I threw a number of glossy brochures in the bin. I googled everything in order to find out whether the home had EVER been given a disappointing or negative review from anyone.
I chose the very best I could based on my instincts, not on a grand piano in the hall or a lady showing me around who resembled a Virgin Airline trolley dolly. My choice was fortunately reinforced by a trusted recommendation. "It's not perfect' she said. At the time, I thought "but it must be perfect, this is my mum we are talking about". I have learned that unless you yourself are willing to shadow your loved one 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 52 weeks in a year - the care is always going to be less than absolutely perfect BUT your choice has to be made on the evidence of what you see, hear and feel. I am happy with my choice but if I wasn't, mum would be moved in a jiffy.

Hope the above helps.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Thank you

Hello Vera's den

I have copied something I wrote a few weeks ago which may help a little when looking at homes.

My first port of call was the CQC websites which are an absolute must for anyone looking for a care or nursing home. Then I made general enquiries amongst all my friends, particularly those who had had first hand experience of homes. After this, I went visiting - some unannounced, some by appointments. I saw everything from "the Dorchester" to "one flew over the cuckoo's nest". I actually sat outside and cried after visiting one home.

I chose a home based on my observations of the 'care' not whether they had an aromatherapy suite, or whether the visiting hairdresser was Vidal Sasoon trained!. I knew enough to know that most homes have a certain odour and that money spent on essentials is better than money spent on state-of-the-art wallpaper. Do the staff bother to ask a resident if they need a cardigan when it's a cool day, or would they be able to distract a difficult sundowning resident who has become agitated. Do the carers recognise that the residents require dignity, respect and love. or is it just a job. Is the care home manager approachable, are the staff trained or are they just cheap labour? Are the beds clean, does it look like home, rather than 'a home'. Are they flexible in their attitude or is it run like a prison camp? Can you visit when it's convenient for you not the home? What does the food look and taste like, are the residents provided with stimulation or left to their own devices because it's easier that way? Is their privacy respected but as their condition progresses are their changing needs discussed with you.

I threw a number of glossy brochures in the bin. I googled everything in order to find out whether the home had EVER been given a disappointing or negative review from anyone.
I chose the very best I could based on my instincts, not on a grand piano in the hall or a lady showing me around who resembled a Virgin Airline trolley dolly. My choice was fortunately reinforced by a trusted recommendation. "It's not perfect' she said. At the time, I thought "but it must be perfect, this is my mum we are talking about". I have learned that unless you yourself are willing to shadow your loved one 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 52 weeks in a year - the care is always going to be less than absolutely perfect BUT your choice has to be made on the evidence of what you see, hear and feel. I am happy with my choice but if I wasn't, mum would be moved in a jiffy.

Hope the above helps.

Thank you so much for your help some very useful points.

ChinaCup

Jun 7, 2016
Section 117 Funding

Hi my FIL is currently in hospital. He has been under Section (parts 2 and 3) but is now ready to go to a nursing home. We were told that he would quality for Section 117 After Care. We were given a list of homes by a Social Worker. We visited them but most wouldn't take him (DLB) or were unsuitable. We found a home that was slightly out of the city boundary but the LA are saying that funding is reduced because it was a "Home of Choice". Have you heard of this? If so how can it be challenged? Thanks