Emotional hangover

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
I have early onset dementia. I'm 58 years old diagnosed 53.

I'm having one of those day after a where yesterday started well, I got overwhelmed by cleaning out my whole kitchen with my daughters who gave up their Saturday afternoon to help.

By the end of night, overwhelmed, out of comfort zone, had no idea where stuff was

Then came me striking out with mean words toward my daughter and tears and confusion for rest of night

Today, I am sad. I apologized, but you can't take back words... I hate this disease and what it has done to me ... Why do I hurt those trying to help and love me? :(

End of rant, prayers, mediation and positive thoughts .... Tomorrow is a new day

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
I'm feeling very alone, I'm sure some of you were reading this can relate. That's what I need is to know that other people understand and go through some of the same stuff that I do

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
You're not alone Donna and this will pass. I got up this am feeling very lonely and having been on here today and just spoken to one of my closest friends I don't feel that now. Please try not to give yourself too hard a time for things that really are out of your control.
Love
Sue:)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I don't know what it's like to have dementia, Donna, but I do know what it's like to feel despair. Just wanting to send you a hug and assure you that you're not alone, and your daughters love you, and they will forgive you. My mam has in the past said utterly vile things to me, and I love her and have forgiven her because it's not her fault and she would be appalled if she knew.

There are times when we all say things we don't mean. Please try to forgive yourself too. x

And a hug for you, too, Sue. So sorry you felt lonely today but glad to hear that you're feeling better now x

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Donna, thanks for posting this. It's just so human. I don't know what you're going through directly, except in a secondary way, caring for mum.

Just so you know. I find it harder to deal with my own mean reactions towards mum than I do hers.

You mind yourself. Your daughters will understand because they are there with you on this road. Not saying it's easy but it needn't be easy to understand and forgive.

Hugs ♡

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
The only extra suggestion I've got Donna is to make sure you pace yourself. Getting tired makes life more difficult for you than it already is.

Try to split all big jobs (like clearing out the kitchen) into lots of small jobs that you can do, bit by bit, giving yourself plenty of recovery time in-between.

When it's not possible to split a big job into lots of small jobs, ask someone else to do it (even if that means having to pay them).

What's most important at the moment is to look after yourself and try to keep your own morale as high as possible.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
I have early onset dementia. I'm 58 years old diagnosed 53.

I'm having one of those day after a where yesterday started well, I got overwhelmed by cleaning out my whole kitchen with my daughters who gave up their Saturday afternoon to help.

By the end of night, overwhelmed, out of comfort zone, had no idea where stuff was

Then came me striking out with mean words toward my daughter and tears and confusion for rest of night

Today, I am sad. I apologized, but you can't take back words... I hate this disease and what it has done to me ... Why do I hurt those trying to help and love me? :(

End of rant, prayers, mediation and positive thoughts .... Tomorrow is a new day

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hello Irishgirl57,

I hope today has been kinder to you. Your honestly is so brave and I just had to say that no matter how painful the words, how despairing the journey, how difficult the relationships become the love remains the same. The disease is the enemy, not you. Keep loving and never be afraid of telling your girls just how much.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi Donna,

If it helps, Dad was horrid at times to me and I to him. However, he's my Dad and I adore him. I'm sure your daughters feel the same way about you. Sometimes it those your closest to that get the brunt. I take it as a compliment!

Take care x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger