Help finding a carer

headinclouds

Jun 7, 2016
Hi there
I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice? My mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia. At the moment, she is coping pretty well and is looking after herself in terms of getting dressed, cooking etc. However, she struggles to go out, is quite isolated and finds "gadets" very confusing - she forgets how to work the remote control, phone, microwave etc. I'd like to find her some support during the week - we live a couple of hours drive away.

Can anyone advise on how to find a good carer, and what I should ask the service for? One thing that seems very important is that it is the same person coming regularly. Is it OK to ask for general, unspecified support, rather than help with cooking, dressing etc?

Any advice gratefully received!
Thanks

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
I get unspecified help for my mum (we call it company). the ladies , there are currently 3 who attend on different days, take mum for walks, to her various clubs and play games indoors with her if there is no club or the weather is bad. So far this keeps mum happy and the carers enjoy her company. Mum thinks the carers are her friends. I went to a care company - not sure if I can provide the name here. As for clubs get in touch with Contact the Elderly - they have a web page and also check your local hospice as mums runs several of the clubs and they are free. Hope that helps.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Might be worth visiting your local dementia cafe and see if anyone can recommend a good carer. We got lucky in that a neighbour across the road from Mum is a carer and is more than happy to trot across the road to look after Mum and keep her company for a few hours a week whilst Dad has a break. We have got direct payments from SS to pay her.

Dothedealnow

Account Closed
Jun 4, 2016
The only comment I would have is that the cost of getting someone in daily is very high,
When we looked at it for my Mum, we had 3 hours per day at £20 ph plus expenses from an agency. This came to £21900 per year plus expenses.
This never hapoened as mum was discharged with a requirement for live in full time care. This came to £47320 PA including expenses.
We now expect to get her discharged into a nursing home at somewhere between £60 and 70K PA. This will be self funded until it runs out in c7 years.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If she's quite isolated how about a day care centre? Contact adult social services, ask for an assessment and see what might be available. You could also check out sitting service from Age UK. SS might be able to give you a list of care agencies, but the most you usually get through them is 4 short carer visits a day.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi,

I can only go by my experience.

I got my dad a carer at £ 14 per hour. A family friend recommended a home care agency. Dad has had the same two carers for the past two years. Consistency is the most important thing. The alternative for my dad would be a care home and that is not something that I am prepared to consider at this stage. Dad is happy, I am happy. Peace of mind is invaluable.

I would advise you to look for home care agencies on line, through your local carers support office and also through you local Alzheimer's society office. For me the quality of care provided will be seen at the assessment. A good care provider will want to match the right carer to your mother.

I hope this helps.

Take care x

headinclouds

Jun 7, 2016
Thanks so much

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply. Have been in touch with some agencies now and found a couple which might work. Am arranging assessments with them but I feel really relieved that we're making some progress. Mum surprisingly happy about the idea!

Dothedealnow

Account Closed
Jun 4, 2016
If your Mum is happy about the idea then you're 90% of the way to getting it sorted. The final 10% is straight forward. The only issue we had was that none of the local care providers would sign up to consistency. We were also told that the more expensive it is to live in an area the less likely that consistency could be provided... Not sure how true this actually is.

Am talking about South East close to London, unfortunately. Not a cheap area. The local cleaning company charged me £15 ph....

Last edited:

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
I've recently contacted our local Age UK branch and they sent me their lists of people who provide services to older people at home. There are all sorts of services on there - including care workers, hairdressers, odd job people, gardeners, people to take people out etc etc. All are DBS checked and vetted by visit with Age UK. Our local dementia integrated support team had just suggested someone to come in to be with my mother to allow us to go out and she was on the list (she runs a small collective of s/e care workers ie not an agency); we pay £10 an hour (rural Suffolk) and many of the others who provide care which can be from 15 minute visits to several hours or whole days or nights, charge similar amounts. So might be worth a call to see if they will send you their lists. Good luck. Sue

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Would it be possible for her to go to a day centre a few times a week - it would mean she made friends, had a hot meal and was occupied, they usually provide transport. It might be a better option than a carer every day. I think agency carers are often not that great. I don't know where you are but I'll message you the name of an organisation that work all over the place and our particular one has a good reputation, we aren't allowed to post recommendations on here. Your best bet for local info is the local carers cafe where people will give you warts and all info