Panorama programme tonight

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Are you watching BBC1 dementia programme

To me this is so much more real than the Angela rippon portrayal
Some bits hit home especially the criticising and not knowing if he is dreaming or if it's real life.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I thought it was excellent.

There were so many similarities I could identify with , like how Chris snapped at his wife when she was trying to help him with the map, she was so hurt. There were other unsimilarities, how Chris could tell about things which had gone wrong or caused him confusion, showing he had some memory of events. He also had terrific insight into his condition and the progression.

It was so emotional to watch. I wish she'd had TP.

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
I found it interesting that Chris understood his dementia and gave me an insight of how my Dad might be feeling in different situations. My Dad is much worse than Chris but he has good days and bad. I always wonder what he is thinking and often wonder how scared he is in different contexts. He is now in a CH and I'd like to think he feels safe in there and more secure to do what he wants than being constantly worried/anxious at home/in social situations. Need to make sure we all live for now!

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Tonight's programme

I think the programme tonight was interesting and informative to those who haven't been through this with a family member or for themselves.

However, I feel it only showed a taste of the horror that this disease can bring. My father died at Christmas after having what I think was Lewy Bodies for 5 years. He stayed at home to the very end. Where this programme left the viewer was before the final stage which is nothing short of brutal for the sufferer and the family.

I think the latter stages should be uncovered for the public as this is the reality for so many families in their homes today.

Just my view x

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
I thought the same as you Sylvia and had nothing but admiration for the family. I too empathised with the constant criticisms. I was interested to watch how both responded.

I think the overall message was to live in the here and now as you really don't know what's around the corner; perhaps it was focussing on living well with dementia for as long as you can. I felt for his young daughter so much.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
yes it made me cry. My husband never spoke to us about it. Never really acknowledged it. Now its too late. So much of what Chris said rang bells with me as to what my husband went through but never verbalised it. Really good programe I thought.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I admit, I couldn't watch it. I know Roger suffered, but I couldn't bear to go back and see how he suffered. I always tried my best to support him, but at that time there was no information available, so handling situations was guesswork at first. I always hope he knew I did my best for him.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
The programme was excellent and it showed a younger person with Dementia for a change.

I cried too because I felt as if my husband was explaining how he was felt about his Alzheimer's. He has early onset but unlike Chris his speech is badly affected and he finds it difficult to explain what he is thinking. So much of what Chris was going through was just the same as my husband. Let's hope that they get lots of positive feedback and make more programmes like this.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
I found the programme interesting, we saw some of the difficulties, I felt some of their pain, but it did seem to gloss over some of the 'nitty gritty' but everybodies experience is different, it was helpful as emotions were shown sympathetically, its difficult to put so much into a such a short space of time . Xx

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I thought it was good in that the PWD was able to express how it felt for him. We did see how left out he felt in family gatherings and the beginnings of temper outbursts. I think it was very brave of him to be filmed and allow it to be shown on tv. So much of his behaviour was similar to my OH's in the early stages. Very sad when he said he no longer enjoys anything - thats how I think my OH is - I can't get him interested in anything.

It didn't help my mental state as the wife was called Jane - my name - and when she broke down after leaving him in respite, I cried too :(

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I posted my comment on another thread

I thought it was good in that the PWD was able to express how it felt for him. We did see how left out he felt in family gatherings and the beginnings of temper outbursts. I think it was very brave of him to be filmed and allow it to be shown on tv. So much of his behaviour was similar to my OH's in the early stages. Very sad when he said he no longer enjoys anything - thats how I think my OH is - I can't get him interested in anything.

It didn't help my mental state as the wife was called Jane - my name - and when she broke down after leaving him in respite, I cried too (

Just wanted to add that I agree with all your comments, especially 1mindy.

yes it made me cry. My husband never spoke to us about it. Never really acknowledged it. Now its too late. So much of what Chris said rang bells with me as to what my husband went through but never verbalised it. Really good programe I thought.

Exactly what I was thinking - my poor hubby going through all that and still going through it, and unable to acknowledge his illness or talk about it.

How brave of Chris to choose his own care home and that also gave us some insight - instead of being sad about it, he just wanted to be in an environment which didn't keep changing, and where he had no choices to make and no responsibility.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
At last! A factual programme. What a brave and admirable family! However, it emphasised, for me, the difference, I see, between those sufferers who know they have AD. and those who have no insight whatsoever into their condition. But there was a new twist, I have spent a lot of time visiting CH’s over the years but have never seen anyone, in one, who knew he had AD., furthermore this chap actually chose his own.
This broad division never seems to be commented on, even on the Futurelearn courses.

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
I thought it was good. Especially listening to Chris describing how he was feeling, such great insight. However it made me cry when jane explained how she felt. Their situation and feelings are so close to my own it was like watching myself I a mirror.

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon
Are you watching BBC1 dementia programme

I found the programme interesting, we saw some of the difficulties, I felt some of their pain, but it did seem to gloss over some of the 'nitty gritty' but everybodies experience is different, it was helpful as emotions were shown sympathetically, its difficult to put so much into a such a short space of time . Xx
I found it sanitized and giving an unrealistic view of this dreadful disease.
How many of us put up with physical and emotional aggression tantrums food being thrown all over the place dealing with incontinence ? None of that was shown
I can imagine friends watching that saying " Oh well life for Frederic H cant be too bad then! "
And Chris the sufferer wanting to go for daily respite care-- I wish I wish !

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I agree this was indeed sanitised. The large house, well off, happy extended family, not typical...He was young and had some insight and although interesting, this was none of the stuff that makes everyday real life unbearable.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
It would be interesting to see the viewing figures.

It was up against an England v Portugal football match and David Cameron being grilled on the EU.

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
thank you

I thought I would be blasted for my post saying it only showed the brink of the horrors. Thank you for your support. Chris was and is a truly brave man and I extend my deepest sympathies to his family. However, when I think of how distressed my own father was, the public, after watching this, may get the impression it is a disease that can be lived through. I truly do not believe this. I know it is heart breaking on a,daily basis for a sufferer watching it unfold. I lost my dad five months,ago and still am in shock at what he went through and I always,will be. Leaving the story where it was,at the point where Chris was,about to enter the latter stages wasn't realistic. My dad couldn't even walk, get words out, go toilet, eat but he was aware,enough to know what was happening and would cry a lot. My mum was,his main carer and she went through it with him, as did I who stayed with him for hours,every day for years. What about when they are paranoid and,delusional as in lewy bodies? When they try to kill themselves? When they are,so wretched they cant even get their own body into bed and fall constantly. Let the public see that then maybe such awareness raising will do some good for these people and their families xx

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
and...

What about those people for whom respite care would have been nothing short of traumatic, going to a different place? The last thing someone with lewy bodies or alzheimers needs...x