The House That Built Me

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Hi I am a former carer to both my late parents who took Alzheimer's one after the other. Last week my book came out called The House That Built Me. It is my story of caring for both parents in my childhood home, along with celebrity memories of their childhood homes. I talk about how Talking Point forum was invaluable to me. All my author royalties go to the Alzheimer's Society. Heartfelt thanks to anyone who buys one. Available at Amazon.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Mjaqmac
congratulations on the book launch
glad you came back to TP to tell about it

It's good to see that the Amazon page I found makes clear your reasons for writing it, and that 100% of your royalties will go to AS - a shame the Daily Mail review did so much on the celebrities featured (what an amazing lot you got involved), who must have appreciated the inspiration for the collection, but didn't seem to pick up on your motivation

great to see the AS logo on the front cover

good luck with it :)

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Thank you

Hi Mjaqmac
congratulations on the book launch
glad you came back to TP to tell about it

It's good to see that the Amazon page I found makes clear your reasons for writing it, and that 100% of your royalties will go to AS - a shame the Daily Mail review did so much on the celebrities featured (what an amazing lot you got involved), who must have appreciated the inspiration for the collection, but didn't seem to pick up on your motivation

great to see the AS logo on the front cover

good luck with it :)

Hi

Thank you for your good wishes. Yes, I got publicity in Good Housekeeping magazine, Woman's Weekly, The Daily Mail and Sunday Telegraph, and you are right, it was all focused on the celebs. None mentioned that it had been put together by a carer, that it was also my story of being a carer twice over and that all of my royalties go to the Alzheimer's Society. This was a shame as I'm sure lots of people who would like to support the Society and also read of a carer who has made it to the other side would have appreciated knowing this information. Hopefully perhaps the word will spread through Talking Point. The book carries the official Alzheimer's Logo and contains stories from stars including Carery Mulligan, Alan Titchmarsh, Lorraine Kelly, Fearne Cotton, Neil Sedaka, Bill Oddie, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Shane Richie and more.

Thank you again to anyone who buys this.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I've written a book about Talking Point!

Hi

I'm a former carer to both parents who developed Alzheimer's one after the other. My life was unbearable at times as with my father's dementia I had also just become a new mum. Both of my parents are now dead but Alzheimer's will always be a part of my life as it played such a huge part for so long. Talking Point was absolutely invaluable to me. I got advice and help here and even found friendship.
I would like to give something back to the wonderful Alzheimer's Society for all their support and especially for this forum which I have no doubt kept me sane. I have written a book called; The House That Built Me, in the acknowledgements I thank TP for everything and also talk in the book about how this forum was so important and useful to me. The book was just released last week during dementia awareness week.
I got the idea for the book when my father died and a stranger came to the door. It had been the man's childhood home in the 1940s until the 1960s and his mother had just died, so he wanted to come back and see the house in Belfast as he'd been living in New Zealand. His visit made me think of how precious our childhood home memories are. I have lived in the same house all my life and I'm bringing up my son here. I thought it might be a nice idea to collect memoires in a book to help those who have lost their memories to dementia. I got celebrities to help. I simply wrote to them and asked and many replied. The man doesn't know he inspired a book, I haven't been able to find him.
My book is a collection of celebrities childhood home memories and also my story as a carer. The book carries the Alzheimer's Society official logo on the front and 100% of my royalties go to the Alzheimer's Society. It's available on Amazon and other book stores. If you buy it I send you a heartfelt thank you and also a thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who made Talking Point possible and for all the help I received there. If you are a carer I salute you, it's a very tough life and only those who have been there understand. Celebs whose memories are in this book include Lorraine Kelly, Shane Richie, Bill Oddie, Jo Brand, Fearne Cotton, Carey Mulligan and many more.

Last edited: