Mixed up with times....

Shellyangel

Dec 12, 2013
If there is an event on during the day, for example "singing for the brain" at 1:30pm, my mum will be ready to go from early morning and believes that she needs to leave right then. She gets highly anxious and stressed out, and is upset and frustrated when my dad tells her that it's not time to go. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to help with this?

It sounds like a small thing, but is causing my mum to be tearful and upset for most of the day. Any suggestions appreciated! Xx

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
If there is an event on during the day, for example "singing for the brain" at 1:30pm, my mum will be ready to go from early morning and believes that she needs to leave right then. She gets highly anxious and stressed out, and is upset and frustrated when my dad tells her that it's not time to go. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to help with this?

It sounds like a small thing, but is causing my mum to be tearful and upset for most of the day. Any suggestions appreciated! Xx

It depends... does she actually know the event is on for that day, or has she been told the day before or that morning by your Dad?
If she doesn't actually know its on, then I wouldn't tell her to get ready until much closer to the time.
If she does still remember when something is scheduled for that day but it's just a lack of knowing the time, and when to get ready, then would a night/day clock with the day and time ( depends if she understands digital or analogue better) work?

Up until a few months back, my Mum had an obsession with what was happening every day. She had a white board on her fridge with what was happening, and she would be up from 4am checking her board.
When she started losing concept of what day/time it was I bought her an electronic clock with the day/morning/afternoon/night. Worked for a few days and then she became anxious over how long it was taking to change from one day to the next, so we had take it away.
Then she would argue witn Dad over what was written on her board, and what day it was, and how she had been to whatever activity the day before.
So now we write nothing on the board and tell her that morning.

Its a guessing game as to what works and what doesn't and a lot of trial and error.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
It depends... does she actually know the event is on for that day, or has she been told the day before or that morning by your Dad?
If she doesn't actually know its on, then I wouldn't tell her to get ready until much closer to the time.
If she does still remember when something is scheduled for that day but it's just a lack of knowing the time, and when to get ready, then would a night/day clock with the day and time ( depends if she understands digital or analogue better) work?

Up until a few months back, my Mum had an obsession with what was happening every day. She had a white board on her fridge with what was happening, and she would be up from 4am checking her board.
When she started losing concept of what day/time it was I bought her an electronic clock with the day/morning/afternoon/night. Worked for a few days and then she became anxious over how long it was taking to change from one day to the next, so we had take it away.
Then she would argue witn Dad over what was written on her board, and what day it was, and how she had been to whatever activity the day before.
So now we write nothing on the board and tell her that morning.

Its a guessing game as to what works and what doesn't and a lot of trial and error.

Ditto MIL is exactly the same. Now what I do is to tell her nothing until about 30 minutes before she needs to go out which just gives her time to go to the loo and put her shoes on

1954 x

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
Dementia Day Clock

What about a dementia day clock with hands, Mon Tue.....am/pm. Put a sticker or arrow when the appointment is could that be an option.

John.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I have the same. Dad has unspecified dementia. He will choose a tv programme he wants to watch at say 8pm but can't understand why at 6pm he can't watch it
He can't always read the bedside clock either as it has a second hand which confuses him. Tried to cut the hand off and try digital and no good
Timings and reading tv mag listings are a huge issue for him

Shellyangel

Dec 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for replying. I just had a quick look on here, not expecting any replies yet but got so many helpful suggestions!!

I don't know if my mum would know what was going on if my dad didn't tell her- he does write on a whiteboard each day, but I never thought that could be part of the problem. I was going to look into getting a clock or reminder system, but that is a simple solution to just let mum know shortly before the activity is happening. Only sometimes she knows her routine, such as going to church on Sunday and she will get ready to leave home at about 6am and then gets really cross with my dad. We could direct her to the clock for those occasions, but limit giving other info in advance.

Thanks for sharing your stories with me, it helps to know other people have the same dilemmas.

Best wishes xx

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for replying. I just had a quick look on here, not expecting any replies yet but got so many helpful suggestions!!

I don't know if my mum would know what was going on if my dad didn't tell her- he does write on a whiteboard each day, but I never thought that could be part of the problem. I was going to look into getting a clock or reminder system, but that is a simple solution to just let mum know shortly before the activity is happening. Only sometimes she knows her routine, such as going to church on Sunday and she will get ready to leave home at about 6am and then gets really cross with my dad. We could direct her to the clock for those occasions, but limit giving other info in advance.

Thanks for sharing your stories with me, it helps to know other people have the same dilemmas.

Best wishes xx

I just wanted to add, the twice that Mum serioulsy became confused with time, like turning up on my door step at 8pm in the pitch black thinking it was morning and time to go grocery shopping, and getting ready multiple times in a day putting her coat & shoes on to go out each time, she actually had a UTI.

I have found over time, the less I tell Mum the better... sad but true :(