Leaning backwards

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Hi
Mum has started to lean backwards from her waist. It is most peculiar. She is still very mobile but I've noticed this whilst out with her the last few times. Today the carehome had a singer so we were up dancing and she was leaning further and further back from her waist to the point of being unsteady. Has anyone else experienced this?
My dad leaned to the side towards the end of his dementia journey but mum is no where near this stage.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband leans back too but I think in a bit of a different way to what you describe. When he stands up straight he can just start to lean back and if nobody supported him he would fall flat on his back. It's quite scary. I've asked for the physio to see him again but I'm not sure they can do anything about it.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
I said to her several times as we were dancing to straighten up but she didn't. When I said "stop leaning back" she said she didn't know why she was doing it but couldn't straighten up. It seems to happen the longer she is on her feet or the more tired she is. I do worry she will fall one day and break something.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I said to her several times as we were dancing to straighten up but she didn't. When I said "stop leaning back" she said she didn't know why she was doing it but couldn't straighten up. It seems to happen the longer she is on her feet or the more tired she is. I do worry she will fall one day and break something.

I wonder if it might be an idea for you to ask for advice from a physio re this.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think that's a good idea of Izzy's. There could be a treatable problem.

From experience and what I've read on TP, it does seem that PWD sometimes have no awareness of tilt - backwards, forwards, or sideways - so telling them to straighten up just doesn't work.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Also experienced this

Hi
Mum has started to lean backwards from her waist. It is most peculiar. She is still very mobile but I've noticed this whilst out with her the last few times. Today the carehome had a singer so we were up dancing and she was leaning further and further back from her waist to the point of being unsteady. Has anyone else experienced this?
My dad leaned to the side towards the end of his dementia journey but mum is no where near this stage.

Yes! On Monday I got a call from the carer who was about to take Mum out for an activity and she was worried as Mum was leaning back. I went round, and indeed she was leaning so far back she was quite unsteady. At that point I was very concerned and put a call into the GP. Later in the day she was much better and I chatted through with GP and ruled things out. Yesterday she was leaning to the right and rubbing her lower back, so I am thinking she has a sore back and this is contributing to it. I've seen her lean before to the side, but not back, otherwise she is still very mobile. I remember searching on TP at the time and found it's not uncommon. Worrying nonetheless! Hope all well now. G

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
This is something my mum does, I noticed it about a year ago with a backward lean. These days its a side lean. It is awful to see and nothing I do helps her. It tends to happen when she is tired.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
My mum developed a severe backwards lean from the waist, making her incredibly unsteady. It was diagnosed as a side effect of the Risperidone that she was taking at that time, one of the side effects is an "altered gait"

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
My dad goes through periods of leaning to one side, and walking upstairs he has a tendency to lean too far back (which is a massive concern). Sometimes he sits on his seat to one side too. The doctor said it was to do with his dementia and lack of spacial awareness. I'm not sure what would cause your mum to lean back from the waist though, apart from the suggestions that have already been made... but I do understand the worry and hope you find a solution :)

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Leaning to the right now!

My dad goes through periods of leaning to one side, and walking upstairs he has a tendency to lean too far back (which is a massive concern). Sometimes he sits on his seat to one side too. The doctor said it was to do with his dementia and lack of spacial awareness. I'm not sure what would cause your mum to lean back from the waist though, apart from the suggestions that have already been made... but I do understand the worry and hope you find a solution :)
Thank you. The situation has improved though Mum still leaning to the right. In the meantime I have spoken to the GP and she confirmed it is not uncommon. I've also 'rescued' Mum from a neighbour's house today as she wandered along the road whilst Dad was asleep! An eventful week, but all ok as we speak......!