Holiday

fremington6

Apr 30, 2013
Devon
Does anyOne know of somewhere I can take my OH for Christmas. I want to give the family a break so they don't have to worry about us but would like to be in a friendly environment. I don't want to have people at home with us either, I can't cope with entertaining, just looking for a nice break. We live in south of UK so don't want to travel too far. Any ideas would help.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I understand what you are saying but I don't know of anywhere. I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be rather overwhelming for OH to go to a strange place with strange people (and it is 7 months away too, 7 months made a big difference in our house!)

you have probably seen these but they are quite useful

https://www.dementiauk.org/christmas-advice-from-an-admiral-nurse/
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2085

I'm afraid I always stuck with the familiar, my mum loved having the family around her and coped well for short periods so everyone was primed for quieter times followed by the necessary festivities and people were very mindful but we stayed at home and I opted for very easy dinners - with all the easy roasted stuff from Lidls and M&S and an oldie film for a quiet time in another room for those that wanted (and mum) and then simple old fashioned games around the table. People always helped and maybe more importantly - I learned to accept their help!!! slowly.......

I wouldn't have coped with her in a strange place . Sorry I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but thought it might help xxx PS I always built in some 'treat time' for myself

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
i've concluded that a hotel room would be like putting the wife in a prison cell with nowhere to escape to,we go to a holiday camp in an apartment,how about a cottage .

its a struggle

Mar 10, 2015
South Coast - Hampshire
Caring Holidays

Does anyOne know of somewhere I can take my OH for Christmas. I want to give the family a break so they don't have to worry about us but would like to be in a friendly environment. I don't want to have people at home with us either, I can't cope with entertaining, just looking for a nice break. We live in south of UK so don't want to travel too far. Any ideas would help.

Hi Fremington, I have been researching just this for MIL as we will not be home at Christmas. I have found this company: http://www.richmondretreats.co.uk - they have several properties across the country - not cheap, but not really anymore than a top quality hotel.

hope you find somewhere lovely x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
[ QUOTE=fremington6;1273235]Does anyOne know of somewhere I can take my OH for Christmas. I want to give the family a break so they don't have to worry about us but would like to be in a friendly environment. I don't want to have people at home with us either, I can't cope with entertaining, just looking for a nice break. We live in south of UK so don't want to travel too far. Any ideas would help.[/QUOTE]

Never used the place myself, but there is a holiday lodge advertised in our Carers News magazine. It's at Dawlish Warren, so close to you.
If you want to try it I only have an email info@carersholiday.org.uk or 0117 965 2365.
There is also a cottage advertised near Bath through a charity called After Umbrage, on www.carersholidays.org.uk

Hope any of those may be helpful.