In need of a virtual hug

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hello everyone , hope you are all well ?
Heidi , I am so pleased that you are another step nearer realising your potential in a caring profession . The gyn and breast feeding job may not provide you with the part of the caring experience that you wish . It would be a good job but if its your wish to providing care to elderly people , I would suggest the care home . Allied healthcare will provide a degree but it may be in measured time slots and caring should never be rushed , particularly with elderly people . I hope whatever you chose , it will bring you much fulfilment . Lou X
Gill , I hope your dad is a little bit better . Are you any closer finding him a more suitable care home . I hope you are looking after yourself . Lou X
Jenny , how are you doing ? How's your mum? I hope she is feeling better . Lou X
Jackie , how's life been treating you lately . I hope it's been a bit better for you . How's your dad , is he abje to get out of his room a bit more now that the weather has picked up. Lou X
Rob , I hope you and OH are doing ok? Have you been out much ?
Lou X
Cat64, how's your mum ? Did you manage to buy any more red jumpers for her ?
Hope everyone else who pops on our thread are doing ok . Best wishes to you all . Lou X

Hi Lou! Hope you are OK? And Mum?
I posted just before you with my latest update!
Bit rubbish here!
I do hope everyone else is OK.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Jenny
Sorry to read that your mum hasn't really picked up - maybe it's taking her just a bit longer to shake off the infection
good that she's eating - the not drinking isn't so good, though - I do worry about fluid intake with dad, he's definitely less with it and less mobile if he's not drinking enough - so hard when your mum seems to be like my dad and not taking in fluids themselves - dad just doesn't see drinking as important, never really did, so I pretty much force beakers of squash/ribena on him at every opportunity - oddly he did used to drink a carton drink if it was left for him with the straw already pushed in, but he'd ignore glasses of drink (I wondered if it was easier for him to lift and hold the carton rather than a glass or plastic beaker) - would your mum take jelly or ice lollies or soup or Bovril? - personally, I'm not keen on cold drinks, so I drink water half the mug just boiled, half from the tap
the mention of heart failure is a bit of a twist - I hope you get some information from the doctor, I'd definitely be asking if this is new or long standing but just hasn't come up before, and what effect it may have on your mum day to day - I hadn't known that dad has a slightly low heart rate until a paramedic noticed it, was concerned and he was taken to hospital, only for his records to be checked there and confirmed that what seemed low was normal for him
if it isn't one thing, it's another!!!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Gill
I hope you have been able to get out into the garden with your dad - my dad does mutter and moan as we walk the corridor to the garden but he's perked up after a few minutes sitting in the sun (though it's raining today)
I think the leaning forward may be part of the progression; quite a number of the residents in dad's home sit 'slumped over', it almost seems more comfortable for them, there's no signs of pain in their faces - well worth trying the paracetomol, though, just in case

My gosh Heidi - 3 possibilities - I'm so glad your skill and experience have been recognised - from what you've written, my guess is your passion is for the elder care and for your own satisfaction I'd say working in the care home would suit - I'm torn, though, as those people still in their own homes would so appreciate what you will bring to their care, but the travelling and pressure to be on the move rather than take your time may frustrate you - personally, I'd take the care home placement to be settled, with the thought that if you fancied a change later there are usually regular openings in care at home - either way, I'm glad it's working out for you and your partner

Hi Lou and Rob and all
be careful out there :)

Last edited:

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Jenny . Have you asked how they came to the conclusion of heart failure . Has she had an echocardiogram , which determines how well her heart is functioning . She may have some mild failure which many elderly people have which goes unnoticed but if it causes a problem , medication can be prescribed . It's worth asking the GP. If there are concerns , an echo should be ordered . Any degree of heart failure will cause a person at times to be exhausted , depending on activity . It's worth pursuing . I hope your mum feels better soon . My mum is just over a chest infection , it's left her quite tired and a bit more breathless than normal but she's getting there . Best wishes . Lou X

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hi Jackie & Lou,

Doctor came today and I mentioned the 'heart failure' comment I had read. Mum's lovely GP basically said she had no idea where that had come from as Mum definitely wasn't showing the important symptoms (so that was a sleepless night for nothing!)
Upshot is the cocktail of drugs has caused very low blood pressure which plummets even further when she stands. Two blood pressure medications removed and mum will be checked, again, by the district nurse in a couple of weeks! Phew!!
On the positive side, meals on wheels are a hit!!!!!

Thank you, lovely people, for being there for me x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi Jackie & Lou,

Doctor came today and I mentioned the 'heart failure' comment I had read. Mum's lovely GP basically said she had no idea where that had come from as Mum definitely wasn't showing the important symptoms (so that was a sleepless night for nothing!)
Upshot is the cocktail of drugs has caused very low blood pressure which plummets even further when she stands. Two blood pressure medications removed and mum will be checked, again, by the district nurse in a couple of weeks! Phew!!
On the positive side, meals on wheels are a hit!!!!!

Thank you, lovely people, for being there for me x

That is a relief then Jenny, they are always tinkering with meds in hospital to find the right balance. Hopefully your mum will be ok now and with the district nurse to check her blood pressure in a couple of weeks it looks like the situation is under control. Nice to see the meals on wheels are helping too. Best wishes, Rob

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
That is a relief then Jenny, they are always tinkering with meds in hospital to find the right balance. Hopefully your mum will be ok now and with the district nurse to check her blood pressure in a couple of weeks it looks like the situation is under control. Nice to see the meals on wheels are helping too. Best wishes, Rob

Thanks Rob! It has been such a worry!
How are you and OH? Weather in the South has been good. Hope it been good where you are and you and OH have been able to enjoy it! xxx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
In need of advice please

Evening all,I'm sorry to be a pain but I need some help in understanding the procedure for dad now.I met with sw yesterday at dads care home and after meeting dad and talking to me she agreed that he had been wrongly assessed and she is saying emi nursing, she said that a medical professional would have to fill out CHC form and there would have to be a meeting by the board to decide....I'm a bit at a loss has what is going to happen and also annoyed that he was wrongly assessed I made that clear to the sw yesterday, any guidance would be very much appreciated xxxx
Hope that you are all OK , how are you Lou has your ear infection cleared up now ? Is your mum OK ?
Jenny, hope your mum is feeling better,it appears that you are having a time of it too
Hello Jackie, hope you and your dad are doing OK, and no sitting outside today has its been raining here too all day
Rob , are things still good with you and oh ?
Heidi, I'm pleased that your career is taking off,and wish you well with whichever option you choose, I'm sure that you will do a good job xxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Evening Gill
oh blimey - nothing seems to run smoothly for you and your dad
I don't have any experience of this - maybe someone else will read this thread and help - or maybe start a new thread about this specifically?
Sorry :(

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Evening Gill
oh blimey - nothing seems to run smoothly for you and your dad
I don't have any experience of this - maybe someone else will read this thread and help - or maybe start a new thread about this specifically?
Sorry :(

I'm with you there Jackie I have no experience of this im out of my depth,im just a daughter trying to do my best for my dad xx maybe Lou will know what is going on if she gets chance to read the post xxx

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Gill , I think Jackie is right . I don't have any experience of assessments for CHC so it might be useful , as suggested , to ask in a separate thread as you know how knowledgable and experienced a lot of the people who post on TP are . I'm sure someone will give good advice . I hope your dad is a bit better and gets the proper care that he so rightfully deserves soon . My ear infection is improving , thank you for asking . My wee mum is getting over her chest infection , she still quite breathless and tired but still smiling ! I hope you are looking after yourself ? Let us know how you get on. Lou Xx

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Thanks Rob and Louby for the wise words. I actually had the CH interview this afternoon, so have my fingers crossed. I think it went well on the whole so we shall see.
( Dad always used to say - I and we take shall and should, all the rest take will and would! ). I'll let you know what happens. Xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks Rob and Louby for the wise words. I actually had the CH interview this afternoon, so have my fingers crossed. I think it went well on the whole so we shall see.
( Dad always used to say - I and we take shall and should, all the rest take will and would! ). I'll let you know what happens. Xx

I will keep fingers crossed for you Heidi.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Evening all,I'm sorry to be a pain but I need some help in understanding the procedure for dad now.I met with sw yesterday at dads care home and after meeting dad and talking to me she agreed that he had been wrongly assessed and she is saying emi nursing, she said that a medical professional would have to fill out CHC form and there would have to be a meeting by the board to decide....I'm a bit at a loss has what is going to happen and also annoyed that he was wrongly assessed I made that clear to the sw yesterday, any guidance would be very much appreciated xxxx
Hope that you are all OK , how are you Lou has your ear infection cleared up now ? Is your mum OK ?
Jenny, hope your mum is feeling better,it appears that you are having a time of it too
Hello Jackie, hope you and your dad are doing OK, and no sitting outside today has its been raining here too all day
Rob , are things still good with you and oh ?
Heidi, I'm pleased that your career is taking off,and wish you well with whichever option you choose, I'm sure that you will do a good job xxx

Good news that they have admitted the first assessment was wrong, that saves a few hassles on getting a second assessment, Gill. Since reading earlier I notice there is already a CHC thread started by Stanley, so hopefully you will find some help there.
Good luck. Rob

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Gill
just to say, like Jenny, I am thinking of you :)

How are you, Jenny?

somehow I'm feeling tired tonight - just not full of the joys of spring - need a cuppa and a chocolate

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi Gill
just to say, like Jenny, I am thinking of you :)

How are you, Jenny?

somehow I'm feeling tired tonight - just not full of the joys of spring - need a cuppa and a chocolate

Thank you all for thinking of me xx I've just returned from a long stint at a&e with dad again,the care home rang this morning to say they were concerned about him as there was a lot of blood in his catheter and his blood pressure had plummeted and he was very lethargic, he has now been re_catheterised and blood pressure is stable again,doctor thinks that the catheter had caused trauma to his prostrate but he should be OK now that it has been changed and inserted correctly... I wait to see what tommorow will bring xxx
Heard nothing more yet about dads move just waiting to hear from sw xxx
Sorry for such a short post but I'm worn out tonight xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Thanks for the update, Gill
I hope your dad is more comfortable tonight
and for yourself - sweet dreams, sleep well

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Hello everyone.

I'm glad to hear that your Dad is comfortable again Gill. Sorry that he has had to go to a&e. I hope it wasn't too traumatic for you both.

I have got the CH job with BUPA!!
36 hours - it's at the end of the road and I didn't want to limit myself, so said that I would do night or day. My condition was training and with it being so close, I'll be able to concentrate all my energy on my studies in time. I was getting edgy waiting for an answer, so phoned Head office and she said - yes, I can confirm that they are going to offer you the job! Am now waiting for paperwork and for the ball to start rolling. Have got the other two interviews to cancel. Hopefully something will come in the post tomorrow.

Thanks for all your good wishes and positive energy - it's made a huge difference to have your advice, support and encouragement. Thankyou.

Thinking of you all.

Lots of love, Heidi xx