So bizarre !

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Wonderful news about Mr Mac and pretty good news about old red. Hoping to hear good news about your platelets Ann.
Fingers crossed all goes well.
Dont worry if you can get to see MIL - she will be safe and someone else will be looking after her.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hurray! OH got the job! Well done to Mister Mac and I am so glad for you all.

Hope MIL continues to mend and sending you good thoughts, Ann, for your hip platelet thingy. I also hope they give you a local anesthetic at the injection site! We will be eager to hear how it goes, when you have a chance.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
Yayyyy! That's such good news on the Mr Mac front. You both deserve some good news, well done him! Even if he has to work a whole month's notice, just knowing he is counting down will make it so much easier. He can make a chart to cross off shift by shift!

Last edited:

AnoviceinN1

Feb 27, 2014
I am really very pleased for you both - how lovely to get some much-deserved good news for once! Do tell us more when you are able to.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Woohoo and congratulations to Mr Mac!!! It is very good to know that he will be able to move on, I do hope the new job is a better working environment for him.

I'm glad to hear that OldRed failed only on minor, easy to rectify things. That's one step closer to your dream of packing up and taking off.

Ann, I'm glad that your platelet injections are finally happening. I do agree that now is a very good time - with MIL at the assessment unit (hopefully) and son around to take over the cooking, you can get it done and rest up. It is bad that you did not get a proper explanation of what would happen and how you might be afterwards - what would have happened if you had MIL at home? I share your hope of some local anaesthetic at least - I'm a big chicken! I do hope you get a big improvement from this and will be interested to hear about the procedure - I don't think it was being done when I was still working.

I'm sorry that MIL is still not well enough to leave hospital, she has obviously been quite poorly (as you knew when you saw her). I would have been steaming mad about her being given foods that you have told them she doesn't like - and then giving her, a diabetic, sweet things in compensation :mad: And don't get me started on clothes going missing!

Mrs Terry, I am so glad that your visit went well today.

Amy, I do hope that your FIL weathers the chemo well. Thinking of you all.

I know Mum hasn't been to Day Centre today - the staff where she lives cancelled in advance as a group were going out for afternoon tea. It's a pity it has happened on a Tuesday but it is inevitable that this will come up occasionally. The landline phone rang earlier today - and my heart rate shot right up! It wasn't anything to do with Mum, thankfully.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thank you so much, everyone, for the congrats for OH - very much appreciated :D

Not exactly sure when he will start - he will still be working for the LA, but in a completely different service, nothing to do with where he has been for the last 25 years. However, it can be treated as more of a 'redeployment' which hopefully means he could be starting very quickly. He will be doing less hours, but has jumped 2 pay grades, so financially no worse, and may be even better! Shifts include a lot of 'live nights', but no compulsary 13 hour shifts followed by a sleep in, (making for a total of 24 hours at work as part of his regular rota, the introduction of which was the final straw in his current job), nor a string of several back to back days of 13 hour shifts, and the new shifts actually fit in well with Mil's care. So - fingers crossed, it should mean home life is easier with fewer long days at weekends where I'm left solo with Mil, and a big easing of stress levels for him at work with far better terms, conditions and working environment.

OH went to see Mil last night - she is back on EMH, at last. He reported she is still using her frame for everything, and no - he doesn't think she could walk without it now, either. He also said she was full of tales about how the people 'over there' (He presumed 'over there' referred to the medical ward?) were all 'back stabbers' and had treated her badly - this is first sign of paranoia and accusations of ill treatment she has come out with since before she got the UTI when she first went in. Not sure whether or not to take it as a sign she is better, and be relieved, or whether to think 'Uh-oh' - not back to that again!

Depending on what happens today, not sure when I will get to see her next. OH has managed to book the Thursday shift as leave, but that will be followed by 4 days of 13 hour shifts, from Friday to Monday. Have explained to the EMH whats going on, it may be that phone calls have to surfice until I'm properly back on my feet and OH finishes that run of shifts.

Right - better get myself sorted. Thanks again for the good wishes - will update as soon as I can. Take care, everyone xxxxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, sending good thoughts that your procedure today went okay and with a minimum of pain and fuss. I also hope you have a clearer idea about follow-ups and all that, than you did about today!

I'm glad to hear MIL is finally well enough, to have been moved back to the EMH ward. I hope once she is fully recovered that they will be able to move along with sorting her medications and behaviour and so on.

Ann, please be kind to yourself, and don't worry if you can't visit MIL for a few days. You know she is safe and being looked after and it's important for you to take care of yourself.

Mr Mac's new job sounds almost like a normal schedule! That combined with less stress and upset (from the current position) ought to make a huge difference for you all. Also a relief to hear this will not mean a huge decrease in income.

Slugsta, I do know that feeling of dread when the phone rings, all too well!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
(((Ann))), I do hope that everything went smoothly today and you are now resting comfortably. I do get a 'bee in my bonnet' about patients not being given full information regarding a procedure and aftercare - not least because I do not believe someone can give 'informed consent' without it! I remember when I had a foot procedure, I was told by one person that I would need 2 weeks off work, someone else said 48 hours. . .

I am very glad that Mr Mac will be working more 'normal' shifts, that will be better for all of you. Here's hoping that,because this still comes under the LA remit, he will be able to move over quite soon.

I am also glad that MIL is now back on the EMH ward - not least because of the more flexible visiting. However, that doesn't mean that you - Ann - should worry about visiting for the time being! Please use the time to rest up as much as you can, you have a lot of catching up to do :)

Apparently Mum had a great time while out for afternoon tea yesterday. She refused sandwiches and got stuck straight into the cakes (guess who I take after? :eek: ). She also enjoys her hot chocolate with cream when we got out,we usually share a piece of cake, the moor gooey the better.

When I was looking for some sheets in Mum's airing cupboard I found a little vest-top with a built in bra. I have suggested that she tries that for the moment as doing up her bra (even a front-loader) is so difficult with her wrist in plaster. I do have some crop-top type bras that I had to use after my op but I think they would be rather too big for her (that's the result of those cakes I mentioned! :eek: ). There is certainly no point in trying to pay for carers to go in as Mum is up and dressed by 6am!

Speaking of carers, I did a short letter for the complaining care agency.

"Dear Madam,
I am the daughter of my mum, who is a close friend of ‘D’ who lives in flat a. I believe you have had some concerns with Mum being present when D is receiving personal care? Mum is aware that she should leave the room when personal care is being delivered. However, I’m afraid that she does sometimes forget. I’m sure you, as trained professionals, understand that this is symptomatic of the dementia from which she suffers. She is very happy to be reminded when necessary.

Another concern is of your staff being expected to put Mum’s evening meal in the microwave along with D’s so that they can eat together. I do understand that this is not what the carers are paid to do. Unfortunately, I am at a loss to know what to suggest in order to enable two vulnerable elderly ladies to enjoy eating their meals together. I am open to your suggestions of a safe solution to this problem.

Yours"

Let's see what that brings.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning All,

AnnM, I hope you are OK, take care, look after yourself xxx

Morning Slugsta.... I should of thought of this before....
Have a look at Amazon (other shops available), for 2 tier microwave plate racks.

If its purely 'a time issue', and not a 'health and safety issue', ....it might be possible for carers to heat
2 meals / plates at the same time (if the food mum and neighbour meal is compatible).

Have a good day everyone xxxx