Ratio of staff to residents

susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
somerset
Can anyone else throw any light on this?

Mum has now been in her home since February as I think I've said in a previous post I'm still considering whether to take or out and look after her myself but I cant because of personal circumstances do this until the end of September.

The staff where Mum is seem lovely but there just isn't enough of them 36 residents and 5 staff during the day and only 3 at night!

I don't feel that Mum is getting enough one to one time but can see why the staff seem increasingly frazzled and are always rushing around dealing with residents with more complex needs.

Someone recommended another home to me which I visited at the weekend it seemed much better and there is a proper daily activities schedule up which there isn't where Mum is. However on asking the question how many staff are on again at night we were told 3 for 36 residents!!

Is this normal?! I rang CQC only to be told there is no minimum number ratio of staff to residents. They said if there wasn't a problem than it must be working!

I said that I thought if you put a child in childcare (though I may be wrong) there had to be a minimum number of staff so why isn't there for people with Alzheimer's. All she did was reiterate that if there were no complaints it must be working!

Is it me I feel I'm going crazy?! When you consider the low salaries the staff are on compared with how much you pay for the care where is the money going? Especially when the mantra is 'not for profit'

Does anyone know of care homes where there are only say a dozen residents which to my mind would be much better?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
You have hit the nail on the head. How they have got away with it for so long I will never know.

The CQC say that they cannot issue minimums because they are worried that if they do that is all that will be provided regardless of peoples' needs. Therefore if something went wrong because suddenly they had more people with complex needs there would be no comeback whereas at the moment if things go wrong there is no minimum and therefore they can take action. I think that is a very warped way of looking at it and I believe that the rules that apply to children should also apply to vulnerable adults.

It is all about money money money. They put minimum numbers on and rake in high profits.

The sums don't add up, I am currently doing some work on care home fees and will soon start a petition against the blatant discrimination that is going on and the fat cat profits that are continuing unregulated - the consequences are often poor care and worse.

I don't know of any homes with small numbers

On a slightly more positive note - the CQC are right up to a point in that some homes manage night care very well -- until there is a crisis!! You may find that there are 3 staff on and a fourth - usually the manager or sometimes the owner - on call in case there is a problem. Some homes are careful about who they admit so that the balance remains workable. It is always a juggling act to ensure maximum profit but some are much more caring than others.

Not for profit is a load of rubbish and just 'words' these days, sadly.

If your gut instinct is to move her then I would go with it, but my other advice would be to visit unannounced at odd times of day - use the excuse of taking family friend etc with you. go at a mealtime and then turn up at about 7pm just to see what is going on, if you can grab a relative to talk to then do that as well.

Your local carers cafe is also a good source of local gossip and good and bad that will never be written down - well worth a visit for a cuppa, some support and ask direct questions - ours is an endless source of local informration

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
However on asking the question how many staff are on again at night we were told 3 for 36 residents!!

Is this normal?!
In the 2 homes my Mom has been in and all that I have visited 3 staff for around 30-40 was the norm for nights.

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
My Dad's home has a senior carer and 3 other carers for 26 residents during the day. I think at night it is a senior and 2 carers. It seems adequate to me but there are still times when they are headless chickens. X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think there are about the same numbers in mums CH. They do seem to manage, although afternoons can sometimes be challenging. I think a lot of the problems are when the staff are not well trained in dementia and dont notice or know how to head off behaviour which can lead to someone really kicking off.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi susanandliam
I think I must have struck lucky with dad's home
there are 3 floors of 18/19 residents and 1 of 10
dad is on the dementia floor, of 18, and has a senior and 2 carers on duty during the day (I believe it's the same on the other 2 main floors, the smaller has no senior so meds are done by one of the seniors on the other floors) plus an activities co-ordinator and manager/deputy
at night there are 2 seniors overall and 2 carers on each floor with manager/deputy on call
the staff are brilliant, but even so are constantly busy

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
At my husband's nursing home which is just for dementia and Alzheimer's, there are 5 residents for each carer to look after. The fees reflect this.

Liz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL