Operation count down

Status
Not open for further replies.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Just spoke with head consultant and explained yet again and asked him to Read all Johns notes as they are clearly to see in his folder!!!! Op went well but had to go further down spine a bit as nerves were severely cut off. They managed to free them all but that's why he is in a lot of pain. They just have taken his drains out too ouch! He has the physio coming later as he has to walk and do certain exercises . Had to smile though as he got aggravated with the nurse trying to wash him so she left that to me and he was as good as gold xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Good news! Glad they managed to free all the nerves; and that they beginning to appreciate your presence!!! Wishing you a good day, a BIG hug coming your way xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Oh No ! !

At hospital now and he is in a lot of pain and has been sick :( he does not look too good and is very slow bless. Waiting for docs to see him but they kicked me out to relative room. Bit upset as not spoken to a doctor yet and they keep on telling John but he forgets it afterwards. So much for dementia awareness . Think I will speak to pals today explaining that John is quite good in conversation but can't recollect it 5 min later grrrr

Oh Chick am so sorry too read this :( ( had posted earlier but busy etc after just *checking in* too see how John & you are doing) Yes agree about talking too PALS good luck with that ! & sorry am :confused: thought ? another TP'er said there was a Dementia Lead Nurse at King's ? would you be able too talk too him / her ? Am :mad: on John's behalf & yours also & it is not good at all ! YOUR well being is just as important as John's ( the Staff should know that ! )

Wishing you & John a better morning / day soon

Thinking of you both

Lots of Love , Support & BIG HUGS

Love Grove X X X

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Hope things get moving for John and pain begins to lessen. Am thinking of you both even if I don't get here too often. Xxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Didn't see this thread before, Heike. Pleased op went well. I'm sure it's the morphine making him sick. It does me too. I think it takes the body a little while to accept it without side effects. Unforgiveable you were treated that way. Hope Head Consultant reprimands his team accordingly and that you are both treated propetly from now on. Big hugs. Verityxx

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Sounds like everything went really well operation wise but sorry to hear that you got sidelined. Hopefully they will now understand how much you need to be there and will welcome your help and support.

I'm not surprised that John is in pain and has been sick as it sounds like they had to do a lot of work on him. But it's very positive that they have freed up the nerves. It may take a while before the results show so don't get disheartened if things don't go smoothly - there are bound to be bumps in the road.

Good luck with everything

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've just realised that the morphine may be making him sick, as Verity says. I was given an anti emetic(sickness), but didn't realise, I was in pain and asked for more morphine, which I was given, but not an anti emetic.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
The medical staff have probably had the minimum of dementia awareness training.:( They are surgeons - the most senior junior doctor will be an F3 - this should be on their name badge. Hopefully, the consultants visit regularly.

If he is in ITU, then he should have his own nurse who should know if he has been prescribed anti sickness medication. It may prescribed to be given as necessary, rather than regularly.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
It's the morphine so they have given him anti sickness drug before morphine but he is still sick bless. Consultant has spoken with team and he now has his own nurse and I am allowed with him. Can't see him being transported to local hospital today and I hope they don't. Will update a bit later lots of love to everyone xxx

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi Chick so sorry to read that hospital have not been very supportive glad you have managed to speak to consultant and get things sorted poor John morphine does make a lot of people sick. Sending hugs xxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Sorry to hear they are not being dementia friendly, you need to kick up a stink. I had to with my mum as she presented so well, and I was basically called a liar when I said she had dementia, so I made each nurse on each ward check her meds list with Aricept in it! They discharged her without my knowledge, and when I went to visit she was about to go to a rehab home, they kept repeating that she had agreed to it, and then suddenly when I said I hold H & W POA and don't believe she has capacity the wheels turned very very fast, and the most senior person (it was 6pm on a Friday) in the hospital arrived to apologise.

Kick up a fuss.

Oh gawd, you too? Thing is, if there looks to be no crisis, then there's no support, at least, around here. I just had to ride everything right out until the final crisis, J-mum. But that won't do for John, straight after an operation like this. Heike's best bet is to get everything documented that the hospital staff see. That's what I asked for, the last time my hubby was in hospital. Things soon improved after I asked for that.

Go get 'em, Heike. (Gnashes teeth on your behalf...)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Brilliant News

It's the morphine so they have given him anti sickness drug before morphine but he is still sick bless. Consultant has spoken with team and he now has his own nurse and I am allowed with him. Can't see him being transported to local hospital today and I hope they don't. Will update a bit later lots of love to everyone xxx

Chick. & am very pleased :) John has his own Nurse & you can stay with him A big relief for both of you & expect it will help John"s recovery you being with him

Fingers Crossed he can stay a few more days at *****.

Wishing you both well today & in the days too come

Love & Kind thoughts.

Grove. X x x.

Last edited by a moderator:

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden

Oh Heike, glad John has been given an anti sickness drug so do hope this will stop the sickness. I can't believe the treatment you have been given is appalling, thank goodness you have spoken to the head consultant and he has spoken to his team. Glad he has his own nurse and you are now with him. Sending lots of love and hugs. xxxxxxxxxxx

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
so glad he has his own nurse and you can stay with him. it will be so helpful knowing which nurse you are dealing with. hope he is feeling better soon. hopefully the sickness will stop soon too. take care.
thinking of you both. love and hugs xxxxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
They are moving him to the *** hospital in Orpington tomorrow for physio for 4 days and they want me to go home today as they only offered me a plastic chair to sleep on for the night and they don't have anything else????? They have given him his own dementia nurse who be with him 24/7 . They said I need to be well for when John gets home as he needs lots of looking after and for me not to be exhausted. Upset again and don't know what to do ???

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
They are moving him to the *** hospital in Orpington tomorrow for physio for 4 days and they want me to go home today as they only offered me a plastic chair to sleep on for the night and they don't have anything else????? They have given him his own dementia nurse who be with him 24/7 . They said I need to be well for when John gets home as he needs lots of looking after and for me not to be exhausted. Upset again and don't know what to do ???

oh I cant believe they cant find you anything other than a plastic chair!!!
I can see where they are coming from trying to get you to go home - but you know where you want to be and I am sure John would feel better with you there.
Is Orpington near you? I wonder if you will be able to stay with him once he is moved.

aww chick, its totally unfair. Whatever you decide I hope it all works out. They must be pleased with progress to talk about moving him xxxxx

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden

Heike, I have PM you. I understand you must be well for when he comes home, but offering you a plastic chair is unacceptable. Hugs, Diana xxxxxxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Chair Unacceptable

Oh Chick am so sorry that John has too be moved so soon tho of course I do FULLY understand the need for Physio too aid his recovery etc & why you want too be with him as much as you can But being only offered a chair for you is not right & unacceptable :mad: :( > sorry no advice (except rest when you can )

Sending you both Love , Support & BIG HUGS

Thinking of you & John

Lots of Love

Grove X X X

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My chair ImageUploadedByTalking Point1462890178.544062.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.