So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
We've got bluebells, ,JM only most of them are foreign interlopers and not out own British bluebells. For that reason I'm going to try and get rid of the invaders!
My camping days are long over, I'm afraid. Got to the stage where comfort is all! Whisky or red wine??

Your bro needs a kick up the b......! Get it all done yourself, now, and never rely on him again. After all, there are some things that can't be left ( though I would have thought house selling was one of them!)

Lunch out and catch up for me today. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello all,

{{{{{hugs}}}}}} for Terry, Spamar, Red and IzzyJ. So hard when its your own Mum, or Dad or Husband, every aspect of the whole caring journey has to be harder than it is for me in caring for Mil - I love her dearly, always have, but it isn't quite the same, I don't think. I can relate to the waiting and the grieving in advance, and most certainly the guilt, but because she is my Mil, I have OH there and don't feel like its now all down to me. I don't think I could cope if it were. xxxxx

R-Anne - Like Slugsta, and I think everyone who posts, I really, really wish I could do something that would help you. Your situation, where help is so damn thin on the ground as to be pretty much non-existent, makes me angry and sad in equal measures. I am just so disgusted that so called support services are able to get away with being so damn useless - its all so wrong :(

Good luck sorting the bro out, JM - this whole house business has dragged on for way to long, so make it a good hard kick up the bum for him! And good luck to your son for his SATS. Seems to be Bluebells everywhere round here at the moment - gorgeous :)

We 'skipped' visiting Mil on Saturday, and instead had a lovely afternoon at the zoo. It was a nice break, and one we needed, I think.

Busy day yesterday, as I had a 'pet shoot' on - owners wanted some shots of their gorgeous lab, and a friend had 'bought' them a shoot through me as a gift. So off I went to Loggerheads with them yesterday afternoon. The dog was an absolute stunner, and such a lovely nature - but completely untrained, wouldn't even 'sit' on command, so you can imagine getting it to pose for photo's was a bit of a challenge :D I had to persuade the owners to make it at least partially a 'Pet AND owners' shoot - even on a lead, with both of them holding tight, the dog (who was a solid 6 year old, so weighed a ton) kept taking off in the general direction of the river and other dogs, towing the shrieking owners behind him. Bedlam - but actually really good fun, too, even if the shoot did last over twice as long as it usually would, so I could be sure of getting enough photographs. It was a lovely day, so it wasn't exactly a hardship to spend it walking by a river in lovely woodlands, with a very cute (if barmy) dog and some nice people :D Now got a long session editing ahead, as the owners didn't want shots with him wearing a lead - however, neither did they dare take him actually off the lead while we were out, so its a photoshop job ahead :)

Got back just in time for a quick cold drink, then off to the hospital to visit Mil. She is still on the medical ward, despite us being told she was to be moved back to the EMH unit last Friday. Her chest is still raspy, though a lot better than it was on Tuesday/Wednesday last week, and she is still on the little nasal oxygen tube. Her hair is matted with sweat, which I find quite upsetting to see, though I get that washing her hair won't have been a priority whilst she has been so ill. The light dressing gown has turned up, but still no sign of the slippers - I guess I'll have to go buy more, this will be the second pair I've had to replace since she has been in there. She was being assisted to the loo when we arrived, the staff with her said her walking was 'much better' - not sure I agree. I really don't think that she could walk without the frame now, she is actually using it properly, leaning on it at all times, rather than picking it up and carrying it when she wanted to get somewhere 'quicker' as she always tended to do before. Very slow, shuffly little steps and obviously needing the support. No idea if that is likely to improve once she is properly over the infection or not. I've been getting a little concerned that whilst she has been on medical, her bed on the dementia unit may have been 'given' to another patient, and that might be why she hasn't been transferred back across - so I asked yesterday. I got a rather nervous giggle and a very hearty ' No, no - of course not', in response. I didn't find it particularly reassuring, though that could just be me being very cynical. Mil herself seemed uterly exhausted, and spoke less than usual - though when she did, it was the now usual nonsense. Youngest had gone with me to visit, and as always, we used the hand gel by Mils bed when we arrived. Mil spotted youngest doing it and was hissy-whispering at her not to touch it because thats where they get the tomato soup from, for the lunches!. Also noted uneaten sandwiches from tea time at the foot of Mils bed - despite me filling in the food info, where I had said clearly that Mil loathes both cheese and tomatoes, guess what they had given her for tea? The nurse said that they had 'found her an egg' to eat instead (?) and added that she had had both ice cream and trifle to 'make up for it'!

She is supposedly being moved back to the EMH ward today, which will make things a little easier as the visiting hours are unrestricted there (apart from at meal times), which gives us a slightly better chance at finding a parking space when we go. Not sure what is happening about going to see her today, as Old Red has MOT (not expecting her to pass, but hoping it will show us what area's need to be sorted next!) and son has to be picked up from uni for the Summer this afternoon. Suspect its going to be a late morning visit (if she is back on the EMH ward), otherwise, it will have to be an evening visit - which I find usually means a very late tea and a long day!

Hope you all manage to have a good day and make the most of whatever sunshine you get - forecast here says its going to be gorgeous, but a change tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a couple of hours either in the garden on out with the dogs xxxx

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I did chuckle about the "soup dispenser" :D If she sampled it she would soon know that its not tomato!!!!
I should imagine that its the presence of the oxygen tube that has prevented her return to EMH. I hope shes back today.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I think you've got the upper hand re: her returning to the EMH ward, Ann. They would simply have to find another bed - just as they managed to when you kicked up a fuss to get her in.
I love bluebells. I had a few in my garden and then a neighbour gave me some more. Turns out hers were the 'evil' Spanish ones, so we've now spent a fair bit of effort getting rid of all of those. The natives have multiplied, though, which is lovely.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Ann, I'm very glad that you have been able to get out and enjoy yourself over the weeknd. The daft lab sounds fun - but I'm afraid it does make me cross when people do not properly train their pooches. They are so much nicer all round when they are under control. Nevertheless, you don't have to deal with him long-term so I'm glad you enjoyed your time with him.

I'm also glad that you have 'marked their card' regarding getting MIL back to the dementia ward. Maybe you arecynical - you have had good reason to be over the past couple of years!

MIL's walking might be better - it depends what it is being compared with! If, for instance, it is with how she was when she first went into hospital, I'm prepared to accept that she could be a little better now.

I went back to aquagym this morning for the first time since my op.I'm glad it is not winter, it would have been very hard getting up at 7.00 in the dark (yes, I know that is the middle of the day to many of you :eek: ). It was good to be back and was pleasantly cool in the water.

When I got home following coffee/lunch with my friend I learned that Mum had phoned and spoken to hubby earlier. Her Wiltshire Farm Foods had been delivered but, for some reason, she had not paid them. I phoned up and paid on my card but said that I was surprised that they had left the food without payment. The lady said they understand that their customers tend to be forgetful and of course they would not leave someone without food. I thought that was a very nice - and unusual - attitude!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
A hello to everyone and thanks for the kind wishes regarding the situation with my FIL. He begins chemotherapy this week (Thursday) and we will have to wait and see how he tolerates the treatments, and hope that the benefit will outweigh any of the side effects. My husband and I will go out to visit again at the end of May, and then there is a big family gathering planned for July. We shall have to wait and see what happens. Again, I appreciate your thoughts very much.

I do like reading about the bluebells (and seeing photos)! I've known about them, from books, for years, but have never been in England at the right time of year. Someday, perhaps. I also didn't know about foreign bluebell interlopers. Is that like an invasive species?

Ann, I am glad to hear you were able to take Saturday off from visiting as I am sure you all needed it very much. Your photo shoot sounds tiring! I like dogs very much, but I like well-trained ones, I must admit.

The tomato soup/soap dispenser made me laugh out loud!

I hear you on your concern about MIL's walking, and their assessment of same. It's hard to guess what they mean by "better," I agree. I do think it's likely that she remains weak and/or wobbly from the infection.

The loss of personal belongings, and giving her the wrong sort of food, must be maddening for you. Perhaps you might buy two or three identical pairs of slippers the next time, in case just one of the pair goes missing?

At any rate, I also hope she continues to improve and can go back to the EMH ward soon. I feel sure they will have a bed for her, one way or another.

JM, good luck with the house and the brother. I hate to say it, but stories like this make me feel some relief for being an only child. I know that the sale of my mother's property was a huge relief for me and hope that can happen for you as well.

Slugsta, your story about WF Foods is amazing. That deserves some sort of major accolade!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Amy, I'll be thinking of your Fil and keeping everything crossed that the chemo goes well and brings him some benefits xxx I'm with you and Slugsta on the prefering dogs that are at least trained in the basics. The owner of the lab told me that she had actually taken him to training classes - but that they just 'didn't work' with him :confused: Training or not, he was still a sweetheart , though :)

Its refreshing, Slugsta, to read about WF foods - how lovely that they understood the situation and reacted in such a decent and caring way!

I hope you are right about the bed, Red - you know, I am just so suspicious and wary when it comes to dealing with the hospital and 'so- called' support services. Its second nature to expect to have to fight and argue, which is a dreadful state of affairs, really :(

I just don't know with Mil and her walking:( Prior to respite, she could walk without the frame (and very much preferred to walk without it) - the main reason for having it was that both we and DC found that during periods of agitation (which were pretty frequent) , when she was up and down and on the go all the time, the parkinsons gait would always become more apparrent as she got more agitated, and then she was more likely to fall. But risky or not, she always felt able to get up and walk without it, no problems. When we picked her up from respite, it was as though the 'Parkinsons gait' was suddenly present all the time, and she was incredibly unsteady - but still, she didn't seem to feel that she needed to use the frame all the time. She gradually improved over the next 5 or 6 days, and though she didn't quite get back to the 'pre-respite' mobility, she could (and did) take off without the frame. She obviously still didn't feel she needed it to walk. And that's the difference from the other day - Mil clearly felt she needed the frame, that she couldn't walk without its support. It quite possibly is that she feels 'weak and wobbly' post infection, I guess. Will just have to see if her mobility improves as she gets better.

Mil was still on medical as of yesterday morning. We ended up with 'one of those days!' and didn't get in to see her. OH took Old Red for the MOT yesterday morning, first thing - only to find that she wouldn't fit through the doors into the garage and so they couldn't test her! Frantic phone calls all round to find a garage that could accomodate her, and could only get an appointment during what would have been afternoon visiting hours. So, with the idea that we would have to go after getting back from collecting son from Uni, OH took her in the afternoon. She failed (sigh) but as OH rather strangely put it, it was a good fail - 5 faults, but all really minor and easy (and inexpensive) to put right. The big thing was she passed on emissions, which would have been very expensive to correct! Back home, piled into the car and off to get son - and hit horrible traffic jams both going and coming back. We didn't get home until way after 6.30 - visiting finishes at 7 (and they are very strict about that!) so we ended up missing it.

OH and I are hoping to go to visit her later this morning (if she is back on EMH) or to this afternoons visiting. First thing this morning, OH has an interview - not as a prison officer, but for another job that has caught his eye and that he is very interested in. I think its next week he has an interview for a 'Support staff' role at the prison which is due to open next year, and which is taking staff on in 'waves' for training - he may not get a shot at the training for an actual prison officers job for another 6 - 10 months, despite having now got the necessary accreditation. I just want him away from where he is now, and the sooner the better, and he feels the same! Please cross fingers for him xx

Tomorrow, I have to be at the hospital for the very early time of 7.15 a.m. - I'm finally going to have the 'platelet' injection. I have absolutely no idea of how exactly the procedure goes other than the basic info that they will take blood, get the platelets and then inject them back into my hip. I did ask yesterday for more specific info, and got very little back - I will be there 'for a little while' (which doesn't tell me much), and I should be OK to drive because the woman I spoke to 'didn't think' that I would be having any anaesthetic - considering the platelets are being injected into my hip joint (as I understand it) that information has me more than a little nervous, I must admit! Anyway, that means that I really don't know what will happen with visiting Mil tomorrow. Thursday and Friday OH is in work, and again, not knowing what the possible after effects of this injection are, I don't know if I will be able to visit her then either :( After the cortizone injections, I was under instruction to 'rest' and stay off my feet for at least 48 hours - I'm just hoping its not the same for this procedure! I've been awfully tempted to cancel it, with so much going on and Mil being in hospital, but OH persuaded me not to, pointing out that actually, this is probably the best timing, as there would have been no guarantee that we could have got respite for her, or that he would be allowed time off from work, and even just doing her personal care afterwards may well have been difficult for me if she had been home.

Will hopefully be able to pop back on in a day or so and let you know how Mil is. take care, everyone xxxx

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
Crikey, Ann and Mr Mac - so much going on for you. Fingers very firmly crossed for his interview, and hoping your platelet procedure tomorrow goes well with minimal discomfort for you. :):):)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you all

Ann - as far as I know as regards to the platelet thingy - you may get a bit or lots of discomfort after the injection, may need to keep resting for a few day, and then you should start to feel the benefit. It could take a few days/month before the benefit is fully felt. So you will need to look after you.

NO thoughts on not getting it done are allowed you MUST look after your future health or a scenario of no more doggy or blue bell photos through the woods could be a possibility.

Hugs xx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Cheers, everyone xxxx

Thinking of you all

Ann - as far as I know as regards to the platelet thingy - you may get a bit or lots of discomfort after the injection, may need to keep resting for a few day, and then you should start to feel the benefit. It could take a few days/month before the benefit is fully felt. So you will need to look after you.

NO thoughts on not getting it done are allowed you MUST look after your future health or a scenario of no more doggy or blue bell photos through the woods could be a possibility.

Hugs xx

Thanks 2jays - trying to get info on what to expect has been rather difficult for some reason. An enquiry about 'after effects' brought forth a 'Pain afterwards can vary' and nothing more from the consultant, have absolutely no idea if I even get local anaesthetic (an injection actually into the joint without it sounds rather scary in terms of how uncomfortable it might be!) and haven't even been able to get a straight answser as to how long I will have to be at the hospital. Its all been rather frustrating, and with Mil being in hospital and OH's job worries, I really haven't put much effort into finding out more - in the midst of everything else, this appointment has sort of 'crept up' on me!

I'm spending much of today getting things 'done' so that I can take it easy (just in case I need too) for the next few days after the injection. I'm cooking tomorrow nights tea in advance (son will take over cooking if need be for a day or so after that, with OH being in work), getting any shopping done and doing as much as I can around the house so that I'm not tempted to tackle things that will annoy me if they are not done afterwards, lol . OH is taking me in tomorrow, coming down to the 'ward' with me, and we are going to try and find out then how long I'll be stuck there. If its going to be a few hours, I've suggested that OH leave me there, as he needs to start sorting out Old Red for her re-test, and I'll ring him when I can come home.

I intend to follow whatever the advice is for after care as closely as I can. There's no doubt that the pain is getting worse, so I'd be stupid not too - as 2jays says, I'd miss my bluebells and walks and getting out and about with the camera far too much if it got even worse and stopped my fun xxxx

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Thank you everyone for the thoughts it is appreciated especially when you 'get' what I am saying.
Ann do hope that the injection isn't that painful for you. Great idea that you actually do the suggested recovery. Definitely agree it sounds odd about Mil
I think regardless of what the family connections having someone with dementia affects in all sorts of ways especial on the stress part.
Slugsta I enjoy aqua as well. Mine is close to mum's nursing home so the gaol is to visit mum and the aqua.
The nursing home rang and among others things mentioned mum was having a bad day so bit the bullet and decided to visit. Well once she got home after the bus trip I had relatively cheerful chatty mother. Who actually remembered a few things. Her speech was poor and mostly didn't make sense but she was happy.
I really struggle with what I am going to encounter. Having said that I am glad she was happy today, her giggles made it good :)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Terry - so glad you had a good visit with your Mum :)

Just popping back in with some good news :D

OH got the job - they told him there and then :D

YES!!!!!!!! I can't begin to describe the relief of him being able to get away from the hell hole he has been working in. So, so happy for him :D

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
I follow your thread but I haven't posted before. I wanted to say what fantastic news about the job for your OH. :) xx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I follow your thread but I haven't posted before. I wanted to say what fantastic news about the job for your OH. :) xx[/QUOTE

Hi Dibs - and thank you :D

Dancing with delight here - so fantastic to get good news :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Wonderful news that OH has another job. Presume he will give his notice in ASAP as even if he's not in today he can start the one month (or whatever) countdown. I know our place are really strict on counting the month from the day you give notice formally.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
So good to read about OH's job - well done Mr Mac, hope it goes well and is less stressful.

Great too about the platelets for you Ann, yes I am sure you are apprehensive but hopefully it will reduce your pain and you will be able to be more active without knowing you will suffer for it.

Fingers crossed MiL is soon back in the right unit and visiting becomes easier. Good that son is going to take over the cooking - am sure he will want to do it anyway to give you a break - and its good training!

Take care xx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Yay! Well done, Mr Mac! :D
Yes - leave the rest of the cooking to son and regard it as training a good husband for some nice woman in the future. ;)
Terry - so pleased you had a better visit. Know just what you mean about the stress of not knowing what you will encounter.
Wishing you all well from a rainy Cambridgeshire.