Does your memory come and go?

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
My mind has been wandering around and now and then I catch it for a minute or two. For instance I have had this new computer for 3 months, but for way before that with my old one I could not recall how to get back one here with you all! I forgot how to do anything on facebook; couldn't send emails etc. Then this week I could! Plus I can do things on this new machine that my old one couldn't do - and- no one taught me or told me it was possible! My hubby's mind is sliding faster than mine and that is really scary. He doesn't drive like himself, nor manage money like he always has, nor remembers how to tell our grandson how to move the furnace thermostat when it was he who put it where it is, his reasoning and judgment is off. Worrying about me makes him worse and worrying about him makes me worse. So to wander back to my topic, do any of you find that sometimes you can do something and sometimes you can't even tho it is something you have done for 50 years? Now if I remember how to see if this gets answered!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I can't help you with your wandering mind, my mind wanders and as far as I know I don't have dementia.

I can help with how you can know if anybody has replied to your post.
When viewing your post you can subscribe to the thread, you will get a notification if anybody posts plus an email unless you have changed the default settings.

Click on 'Thread tools' and then 'Subscribe to this thread'

Attachments

• 2016-05-08_192241.jpg
    2016-05-08_192241.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 606

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Jaffy

Good to read you and 'see' you online:) I only thought of you recently and thought I'd not seen any posts from you for a while - but then there's lots I miss so had thought I would need to do a search to see if you had updated - no need here you are:)

Yes my memory comes and goes a lot and somethings which I thought I'd be unable to do again, when all this first started 7 years ago, I can now sometimes do e.g. recently knitted something successfully from a simple pattern:). I am 'learning' or should I say 'observing' the days when I can or should do these things and I know we have written about this pattern before - keeping the pattern on a calendar when I can helps a lot.

Take care
Love
Sue:)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Forgot how to use the indicator on the car today. Been driving the requisite 50 years! Hope I haven't got dementia. Belated stress, maybe.

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Hi and welcome back, apparently!!

as several other of the sufferer posters here, Sue included, will tell you, it can change minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day or not at all, depending on the type and intensity of the dementia you have. on a 'good' day my memory seems pretty much ok. on a 'bad' day anything can happen. because i have vascular dementia as well as the alzheimer's it can get changed during any day by a small stroke going off in my head and 're-wiring' stuff.

not great but hope it helps with your question in some way.

Wayne

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jaffy.

My husband used to have good and bad times. They could last hours or days.

It was one of the most difficult aspects of caring because I could think all was well and then suddenly it wasn`t. Again I could think he was having a bad time and then he`d be all smiles.

Hard as it was for me to live with it is even more difficult for you and your husband to be and as you well know, worry only makes it worse.

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
Thanks

I am trying so hard to do this today - if it isn't right just chalk it up to "off minutes" for I know now that it could switch to "on" before I finish. Do any of you type/spell with the second letter as the first and the first left off? I have done this for a couple years-especially when I start, then it works itself out. I am/was a good typist and a great speller - how is that for conceit! My mind isn't working the very best right now, but I tried a natural mind "capsule" last night and slept (had almost forgotten what that was) and I am more normal that I have been in years - in many ways! I prepared a meal; yes from cans and mixes but its the first one I have done in forever AND I sat at the table and ate it like a person should. That has been years!! So I am very thankful for this day and I don't remember the last time I have felt like that! God is still working on me! And do I ever need it! I am not on any meds except ibuprofen for pain. All the meds we have tried so far have given me seizures which I never ever had before. So trying to find something to give me some help. Thanks for your replies. You all are tops.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I am trying so hard to do this today - if it isn't right just chalk it up to "off minutes" for I know now that it could switch to "on" before I finish. Do any of you type/spell with the second letter as the first and the first left off? I have done this for a couple years-especially when I start, then it works itself out. I am/was a good typist and a great speller - how is that for conceit! My mind isn't working the very best right now, but I tried a natural mind "capsule" last night and slept (had almost forgotten what that was) and I am more normal that I have been in years - in many ways! I prepared a meal; yes from cans and mixes but its the first one I have done in forever AND I sat at the table and ate it like a person should. That has been years!! So I am very thankful for this day and I don't remember the last time I have felt like that! God is still working on me! And do I ever need it! I am not on any meds except ibuprofen for pain. All the meds we have tried so far have given me seizures which I never ever had before. So trying to find something to give me some help. Thanks for your replies. You all are tops.

Hi Jaffy

Your post is really good to read:) I get a 'proper nights sleep' every few months and it is heaven when I do I feel just like a 'normal' person too. Meds don't do anything good for me except aspirin and paracetamol for pain.

Long may it continue for you.:)xx

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Actually not trying to be funny here but it is so long since a good/whole night sleep that even without dementia i don't think i would remember when that last was. glad to hear that you still can though, it gives me hope!

wayne :D

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Actually not trying to be funny here but it is so long since a good/whole night sleep that even without dementia i don't think i would remember when that last was. glad to hear that you still can though, it gives me hope!

wayne :D

Aaaww Wayne, am sorry you don't sleep well. I don't remember when but I do know I get them occasionally and look forward to them very much. Yes, there is hope when my symptoms began I had a 3 year psychosis and no sleep:( things are a lot better than that now so hold on in there :)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan