Roast beef and yorkshire pudding!

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Just made me smile: I went to visit my mum in her residential care home yesterday. It was just after lunch but one old guy had presumably been asleep at lunchtime so they had saved him some of the lunch and he was sitting at the dining table happily munching away at.. a large plate of roast beef, 2 yorkshire puds, roast potatoes, veg and gravy - wow:) All I had for Sunday lunch yesterday was a bowl of soup! Apparently the residents always get a Sunday roast (tailored to their feeding needs of course) but I was so impressed.
One issue with my mum before she went into the home was she just wasn't eating; now she is eating much better, putting on a bit of weight (she had been under 6 stone) and of course having the company of others at meal times.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Thanks josephinewilson, it's so nice to read reassuring posts like these for those of us who are "teetering on the edge" of should we/shouldn't we with care homes...

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yep - my late husband's nursing home was the same. And with Sunday lunch, those residents who could have alcohol were even served a choice of red or white wine with their meal! Most of them didn't even drink it, or only took a sip or two - but I thought it was fantastic that they were treated as adults, and given the choice to have it or not. You could see it made the whole meal something special for them. The dining room was laid out like a restaurant anyway - and it always encouraged the residents to eat more. My husband also did much better with food once he went to the nursing home.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother's CH always did a lovely Sunday roast. I was cutting up her roast pork for her once and could not believe how tender it was - it cut like butter. I did ask the chef at a Christmas party how on earth he got it like that, and he said it was an oven with steam. Meant that residents who no longer had a good set of gnashers (my mother included) could enjoy it.

The food was mostly very traditional, which was what most of the residents preferred, but very nice. On the day we took her in - they had asked us to arrive for lunch - they had gammon with parsley sauce, again very tender and delicious. I had completely forgotten how nice gammon with a good parsley sauce could be (i.e. plenty of parsley!) and have since made it several times. Always goes down v well.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I do a Sunday roast for mum every week, Lamb, chicken or beef with all the trimmings-her favourite. Cook all my joints sealed in oven with water now, it makes it so tender and easy for mum to eat, also make a gravy out of the liquid meat was cooked in. Used to do Yorkshire pudding from scratch, but now buy a pack to add eggs and water- crisp on outside, my homemade never reached this level. Dessert is nearly always trifle.

A little odd doing all this yesterday-it was so warm and the kitchen temp was almost impossible, but mum loves it and I have plenty of stuff left over to make various dishes through the week, well at least until Wednesday.

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Re dining in care homes, yes, I like how in my mum's care home they always set the tables with nice tablecloths and set out the cutlery in advance. I think these things say a lot about the quality of care.

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
It is so lovely and refreshing to read really good stuff about a care home. presuming that i will one day have to give up my stubborn independence and enter a care home to get properly cared for, it is great to think of a full Sunday roast as being the reward. i do not try it for myself anymore as i need to keep the roof on the house lol

thank you for the uplifting accounts my friends.

wayne

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
The food at my mum's and MIL's CHs was always freshly prepared, tender, flavoursome and plentiful.

MIL just loves the home made soups. She's eating so much better than she did for years and has put on much needed weight. She used to say she had a small appetite, but when I turned up with a home made meal ready to reheat, she used to polish it off with a 'school dinner' pudding and clotted cream to follow. ;)

Some of the frozen dinners she used to have delivered simply don't have enough calories for a main meal if you take a look at the packaging.

grumpy otter

Apr 26, 2016
My mother's CH always did a lovely Sunday roast. I was cutting up her roast pork for her once and could not believe how tender it was - it cut like butter. I did ask the chef at a Christmas party how on earth he got it like that, and he said it was an oven with steam. Meant that residents who no longer had a good set of gnashers (my mother included) could enjoy it.

The food was mostly very traditional, which was what most of the residents preferred, but very nice. On the day we took her in - they had asked us to arrive for lunch - they had gammon with parsley sauce, again very tender and delicious. I had completely forgotten how nice gammon with a good parsley sauce could be (i.e. plenty of parsley!) and have since made it several times. Always goes down v well.

I just had to google "Gammon with parsely sauce" -- OMG that sounds yummy! My Mom loves ham so i think she'd enjoy this!

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
My mum's care home has a cook who makes everything from scratch, including a roast every sunday, home made soup every day and lovely cakes with tea and coffee.

To be honest it wasn't something I thought about when chosing a care home but it makes such a difference - I hadn't realised that some places just buy in ready-prepared and reheat it.

Mum gained weight when she first went in, and ate so much better than she had done previously, although at first she complained that the soup wasn't tinned!

Now she grumbles about everything, but not the food, so it must be good!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
It is so lovely and refreshing to read really good stuff about a care home. presuming that i will one day have to give up my stubborn independence and enter a care home to get properly cared for, it is great to think of a full Sunday roast as being the reward. i do not try it for myself anymore as i need to keep the roof on the house lol

thank you for the uplifting accounts my friends.

wayne

And you, my friend, just make sure that you've got someone looking out for you and making sure you get the very best care home there is!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I just had to google "Gammon with parsely sauce" -- OMG that sounds yummy! My Mom loves ham so i think she'd enjoy this!

Very nice with mash! And if you boil (or simmer) the gammon rather than roasting, you have a lovely ham stock for soup. Any leftover bits of gammon/mash/parsley sauce go very nicely in a soup, too.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I do a Sunday roast for mum every week, Lamb, chicken or beef with all the trimmings-her favourite. Cook all my joints sealed in oven with water now, it makes it so tender and easy for mum to eat, also make a gravy out of the liquid meat was cooked in. Used to do Yorkshire pudding from scratch, but now buy a pack to add eggs and water- crisp on outside, my homemade never reached this level. Dessert is nearly always trifle.

A little odd doing all this yesterday-it was so warm and the kitchen temp was almost impossible, but mum loves it and I have plenty of stuff left over to make various dishes through the week, well at least until Wednesday.

What are joints sealed in oven with water please?

1954 x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
What are joints sealed in oven with water please?

1954 x

Sorry, that does not make sense does it! I put a piece of meat in a deep pyrex dish with herbs etc and then pour on hot water,lid on and into hot oven for 15 mins approx., then turn down and allow to cook/steam for an hour or so.