So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

It sounds like your poor friend has an awful lot to deal with JM - I can imagine he is incredibly frustrated with the limitations caused by his injury, probably still in pain too and that the last thing he needs is the 'interference' from his Mum's friends making him feel worse - even if that interference is well meaning :( . OH headed down the coast on his bike ride yesterday - its a favourite run, some fab coastal cycle paths, beautiful views he says. Usually he does the 'Rhyl loop' and the route he takes gives him a run of about 70 miles, but his mate who rides with him hasn't been too well, so yesterday they ended up cutting the journey shorter than usual. Still, I think it did him good to get out for a few hours - I have my camera, he has his bike - both are tools that hep keep us sane :)

Sue, I'm hoping to persuade OH to have a break this weekend - our days are dictated by visiting times at the moment and whilst hardly in the same league as having Mil at home, it does feel like a lot of our time is still being governed by her needs.

*Waves* back at Terry :)

We've had two gorgeous days here, Slugsta, too - yesterday, once OH left, I went out and stocked up on compost, planters and other bits and bobs, and spent 4 hours in the garden. I've been a bit too successful with some of the seeds I've been growing, lol and had to work out where to put a huge number of young lettuce seedlings, plus sort more planters for the various flowers that will soon be ready to go out - though I still don't know where I am going to put 22 sunflowers! I got 'stuck in' and really enjoyed it - but by evening, I was paying for it with a lot of pain in my back and hip, so I think I'll have to be more sensible in future!

We visited Mil yesterday evening, and she looks and sounds an awful lot better - much to OH's relief especially. A little perturbed to find her sitting in a chair, with a blanket round her shoulders and her 'going out shoes' on her feet - she looked really uncomfortable, and the blanket over her nighty covered little, the extent of the bruising from the fall she had at the weekend was really apparent, her knee and her arms are black and blue - it seemed very undignified for her. I've taken in two dressing gowns, one warm and fleecy, one quite light and have already bought a replacement pair of slippers as her first pair went missing within 2 days of her being in hospital, and everything is labelled. I asked the nurse with her where her gowns and slippers are and was met with a blank look - I was nice about it, but said that it would perhaps be a little more 'comfortable' for Mil if her things could be found, please?

In herself, both OH and I were struck again by how 'different' she seems to be - we've felt this since she came out of respite, but as she went into hospital so quickly after that, and there have been med changes, a UTI, a fall and the chest infection since, its hard to work out what is going on with her. Her ability to follow what was being said to her was waning anyway, but now she can't even seem to hold on to the thread of what she is saying herself. She obviously recognises us as familiar, but neither OH or I believe that she has any inkling as to how she knows us now, she certainly doesn't think we are related - and even when it feels 'OK' to remind her of who we are to her, its as though that doesn't make sense to her and after a brief blank look, she seems to dismiss what we have said. When we visit, its just a steady stream of rambling - she will ask over and over about familiar names, but that seems to be her asking because she thinks its the right thing to say (does that make sense?) - she doesn't seem to have any idea who these people she is asking after are. Other than that, its just disjointed and often non-sensical confabulations. She is leaping about in time, going from her working at a holiday camp in her late teens to her working in a hotel when she first left school. She is tending to slot me in particular into the tales she comes out with, so heaven knows who she thinks I am? She is more aware of being hospital now - the current ward is more recognisable as a hospital setting than the dementia ward - but she gives an ever changing run of reasons for why she is there, and occasionaly seems to think that she is working there, that its something to do with her looking after children :confused:. We had a most peculiar ramble about how she bruised her hand by falling on grass - she explained that she put her hand out to 'save herself' and because the grass was 'very dry' it was hard and came right through the palm of her hand and made 'that blue thing' (bruise) come up on the back of her hand - and that's pretty typical of the type of conversation we are getting. There's currently no upset and we have been told that there has been no sundowning or agitation sice she was moved to the medical side with the infection.

They are hoping to move her back to the dementia ward today. OH wants to go and see her today, but I've visited for the last 5 days and have said that I am skipping tonight - last night, between OH not getting home till 5, daughter not in till 5.30 after her volunteeer work for the DOE and then visiting Mil, I found myself again cooking tea at half 7 at night, rather than me serving it up at 6-ish - its making for long days for me at the moment.

No big plans today, must try and return the wrongly sized clothes if I can, and I should really play a bit of catch up with the hosuework - but if the suns shining, I expect I might head outdoors (though I'll take it easier today!)

Have a good day everyone xxxxx

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Ann, everytime MIL was moved her belongings went missing including her notes. It drove me to the brink trying to locate stuff as it was always missing. I had a dreadful feeling that as soon as someone was moved anything left in the old ward would be disposed of.

Last edited:

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Thank jugglingmum. Still trundling along here
Ann mum has progressed further down the lack of comprehension path. This week she couldn't remember anyone but said to me 'i know you'
Hope you back and hip is better after the night. Forget housework I agree with everyone else :)

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all (just!),

Ann, I so agree with everyone else - the dust will still be there tomorrow (or next week) but the sunshine probably won't. Take the opportunity to get out in the sunshine, it will do you the world of good. And I don't mean spending the day gardening! If people start a new exercise regime they often have the sense to start gradually - but think nothing of spending all day gardening!

I'm glad that MIL's chest seems to be improving, low oxygen levels related to the infection (and generally low levels due to the COPD) will only increase the confusion. I understand what you mean about her asking after people because she believes it is the 'proper' thing to do - we have an element of that with Mum who repeatedly asks how hubby is getting on with his bowls. Maybe a variation of 'hostess mode'?

It's good that OH could get out for a good cycle ride, the physical exercise and sunshine combined will have been very good for him. The ability to get out and run/cycle is something that I miss very much.

I went out yesterday and bought a set of sheets for Mum and have put them on for her today, bringing the others home to wash. I also took the opportunity to bring home the threadbare throw that she bled over last year and wouldn't let me remove. I got her a new one for Christmas, intending that it should replace the old one -but she simply put it on over the top of it!

I think I am going to write to the care agency. Say that I'm sorry Mum doesn't always remember to leave when D is receiving personal care, point out that she has dementia but doesn't object to them gently reminding her. Also that I understand they are not paid to cook her meal but, given the situation, I really don't know what to suggest - but am open to ideas from them. Does that sound reasonable?

I do hope that everyone is able to take advantage, to some degree, of the nice weather - even if it is simply enjoying the view from the window!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Slugsta, that letter to the care agency sounds like a good idea, especially asking them for suggestions - put the ball in their court.

Does your Mum remember your name, Terry? Mil seems to remember our names (mostly) and that she knows us - its just that she has lost the how she knows us, and where from, most of the time. When she speaks to OH she asks about her Mum and Dad in a way that suggests that she thinks he is her brother. The kids are asked about, but not as her grandchildren, more that she still recognises their names as being associated with me and OH, and so its 'polite' to ask after them. And I seem to be someone she knows from when she worked in a holiday camp, which is where she was working when she met Fil - and where she seems to think that she is working now. Something about the hospital, or something in it, must have triggered some sort of link in her brain with the camp, because for well over a week now she has consistently talked about it and seems to think she is there now. I can't see any resemblence between the wards she has been on and the 'chalets' she talks about - but she obviously can.

Lemony, the missing stuff is driving me mad ! OH went last night, it seems one gown has turned up - but no slippers again. Its just something I find really annoying, and either hunting down the missing stuff (not always successfully), or having to go shopping to replace it, is something I am now doing several times a week. She has now been on 4 wards, two on the EMH unit, two on the medical side with the chest infection, and I doubt that many of the still missing items will surface again. I can't even work out exactly what is gone, for the most part, until she is back on the dementia ward, because I don't know how much of her stuff was left there when she was rushed to A&E. Her slippers, one dressing gown, several tops, several trousers and goodness knows how many bra's are currently on the missing list (I think) :(

OH went last night, but I stayed home - he said she was back on the oxygen tubes (which we thought had been stopped) and he was told she would be staying on the medical ward for at least one more night. He said she didn't look or sound any worse than the night before, so perhaps they are just being careful before they discharge her back to the dementia ward?

I 'pootled' about the house yesterday morning, but then headed off to an area we call 'The Moss' with my camera for an hour or so in the afternoon - the bluebells are out in force now, so pretty - spent ages just sat on a bench right in the middle of them, lovely and relaxing.

Not sure what is happening with visiting Mil today - OH's work had messed up the rota's again, and despite us thinking that he had 10 days off, he now has to work tomorrow, so the trip we had planned to the zoo then is off - we have talked about going this afternoon, but I will see what happens once the others are up and about.

Adding a couple of pics of the blubells to end - hope you all have a good day xxxx

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 562

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
Bluebells in a wood in Spring - one of my favourite things. I have tried to photograph them so many times, but just can't get the colour or light right. Beautiful, thank you, Ann.
As my mum slipped further and further down the dementia slope, she completely lost who we all were. My sister who lived with her became 'Mum' eventually. Like your MiL, Mum sort of recognised the names, but not who they were. She couldn't attach them to people or relationships, but her 'hostess mode' made her act pretend-interested if you mentioned a name. She didn't know who we were but she knew we were 'nice' to be there with her. (Later she slid into regular bouts of non-stop talking / confabulating / shouting for 36 hours solid at a time, interspersed with 3 days unrouseable sleep).

Not being recognised when you have done so much for someone, as you have done for so long, is one of the hardest, hardest things. Lots of hugs and sympathy for everyone still there - RaggedyAnne, thinking of you especially.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning All...

AnnM, I hope MiL continues to improve enough to move her back to the assessment unit.
Not sure what you can do about so many missing items, I hope you find some of them at least.

OOO lovely bluebells, great photos.

I wonder if it would help if you spoke to the ward/s about visiting MiL outside normal visiting hours ?
My husbands Ward Sister allowed visitors outside normal hours, especially if I was going in to help with personal care. One less job for them to do.

If you explain you have family things to do, children to look after , and it would really help you if you can come in at times suitable to you...
I think they might let you, as long as you keep out of the way (I know you would) ...

My husband had his version of 'hostess mode' too.
He would ask 'the invisibles' on one of their rare pop in visits...
How work was ? (not knowing who he was speaking to, or where they worked)...
or, How are the kids?
He would also offer... A cup of tea/ coffee? but he couldn't make tea or coffee at that stage.

Hi IzzyJ,
I love seeing Bluebells in the woods, and I love seeing little Spring lambs jumping about in the fields....
I don't sit in the sun (to sunbathe) as I burn easily, I prefer the warm Spring weather, to hot humid Summer.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Sometimes mum remembers my name AnnM but not often. She hasn't asked after my husband or son in months.
It is funny mum is nowhere near as violent as she was and I don't see the rare occasions.
So I am starting to want the mum I used to talk to.
Dad's anniversary is tomorrow two years since he has gone. I have a wonderful husband and son but to a degree they are not involved with mum anymore. It is kinda like they got to grieve and move on but I sit in this void with mum. Waiting

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
I have a wonderful husband and son but to a degree they are not involved with mum anymore. It is kinda like they got to grieve and move on but I sit in this void with mum. Waiting

{{{Hugs}}} to you, MrsTerry, I know exactly what you mean, and the waiting is awful, particularly as then the guilt creeps in. My mum was gone long before she 'went'. So much I could have done differently, better, if I had known before that happened for good. We went for quite a time where she could still 'surface', and stupidly, I didn't really expect the total shutdown would happen.

Does this guilt ever go? Sometimes it is hard.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
{{{Hugs}}} to you, MrsTerry, I know exactly what you mean, and the waiting is awful, particularly as then the guilt creeps in. My mum was gone long before she 'went'. So much I could have done differently, better, if I had known before that happened for good. We went for quite a time where she could still 'surface', and stupidly, I didn't really expect the total shutdown would happen.

Does this guilt ever go? Sometimes it is hard.

It does. It takes a good long while but you do begin to heal, slowly and surely. *hug*

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Agree, slowly but surely. Although I have found the odd 'bite back' things you don't expect, reactions you don't expect which you are sure has nothing to do with loss, but it is!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Big (((hugs))) to you all, MrsTerry, Izzy and Spamar in particular.

Ann, how rotten that OH has to work when you were not expecting it.What would have happened if you had arranged to go away for a few days?? I hope you manage some enjoyable time together anyway.

So annoying about the missing items, especially as it is a repeated situation! One lady I 'know' online lost her mother last year after being in and out of hospital repeatedly for some time. Every time she was in, they lost her hearing aid and no-one ever seemed particularly interested in that fact :mad:

I am very pleased with the way Mum's bed-throw has washed. It had a lot of old blood on it but there is no sign of that after just one wash. The pillow-case has not come out so well, despite having had 2 washes - but she has plenty more, so it is not a disaster.

It was another warm day here, although rather more cloudy and humid than yesterday. Hubby and I went out for lunch, there is a little cafe by the river in the local market town that we sometimes visit and it was very pleasant there today. I believe that rain is on the way :(

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
I believe that rain is on the way :(
It was! I had to sit in the car for 15 MINUTES after getting back from shopping, because the rain and thunder were so heavy!
Thank you too for your kind thoughts - as well as your accurate forecasting, Slugsta.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Bluebells in a wood in Spring - one of my favourite things. I have tried to photograph them so many times, but just can't get the colour or light right. Beautiful, thank you, Ann.
As my mum slipped further and further down the dementia slope, she completely lost who we all were. My sister who lived with her became 'Mum' eventually. Like your MiL, Mum sort of recognised the names, but not who they were. She couldn't attach them to people or relationships, but her 'hostess mode' made her act pretend-interested if you mentioned a name. She didn't know who we were but she knew we were 'nice' to be there with her. (Later she slid into regular bouts of non-stop talking / confabulating / shouting for 36 hours solid at a time, interspersed with 3 days unrouseable sleep).

Not being recognised when you have done so much for someone, as you have done for so long, is one of the hardest, hardest things. Lots of hugs and sympathy for everyone still there - RaggedyAnne, thinking of you especially.
Thankyou Izzy...it has been piling up here, the needs of husband on a suddenly slippery slope have been keeping me fully occupied, so I'm barely in touch on here. We're dealing with those non stop demands at present, with Zopiclone buying us some sleep, but Diazepam causing some uncharacteristically nasty aggression and controlling behaviour. But sending hugs all round....

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hate to say it, but no rain yesterday, and none forecast today! Lovely at the moment, showing up how dirty some of the windows are!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Still dry here but forecast to change tomorrow - and no sign of the sunshine returning :(

We quizzed this evening with our friends and did well on the general knowledge questions - but, as usual, not so well with the picture and music rounds.

(((RAnne))) you are in my thoughts, I wish there was something I could actually do to help.

Ann, I hope you have been able to 'switch off' and really relax this weekend.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I love bluebells, don't remember having any near where I grew up, have some on 3 min walk to school - a wooded path goes through our estate which is probably the remnants of ancient woodland.

We went to Builth Wells for the weekend and it was raining as we got there at 6pm, that familiar British sight of everyone taking cover on a campsite. Heavy showers on and off for an hour and then dry. We had a good (alcoholic) chinwag with other parents, although we stayed off the whiskey- only reason I went. :D:D It then rained most of the night, and stopped about 9am, really hot once it dried up. Mountain bike course went from dusty on SAt to quagmire conditions on Sun. Slides and crashes everywhere.

Had a BBQ tonight when we got in, still got a headache tho! :eek: so no red wine with it.

Still trying to kick chocolate teapot brother to sort out and finalise house sale, we agreed sale details in Sept! I've asked him to chase solicitor weekly as like everything else squeaky wheel gets oiled. Not heard anything for over a month AGAIN. Sent him a very blunt email on Friday. Suspect I'm going to have to sort this out myself now.

Hope Ann had a weekend off visiting and all is well.

Glorious sunshine forecast here tomorrow, son has SATS, which he is not looking forward to.

I get what you mean Mrs Terry, about others not being involved, my mum is still in early stages in total, but I do all dealing with care, as OH isn't interested, and kids not old enough. They do enjoy having her round for a meal though.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa