Confused about Mum

loulou73

May 2, 2016
Hi,
my mum was diagnosed with dementia (vascular) about 12 months ago - she's now 71. She has been in and out of hospital for the last 12 months and is still at home (my dad doesn't want her to go into care). My dad looks after her full time, but has carers going in to turn her and change her 4 times a day. She has been completely bed bound (not even able to sit up or move) for about 9 months. My dad has had Marie Curie nurses sitting with her at night occasionally, just so he can get some rest, as my mum is agitated all the time.
Last Monday, the district nurses fitted a syringe drive to make her more comfortable, but they have been upping the medication each day as she is so bad.
I sat with her on Saturday so my dad could nip out to get her prescription and she just cried out most of the time I was there. She swears an awful lot too (she never used to!) in fact, that's about the only thing she does say!! She hardly drinks and occasionally has a tiny bit of yoghurt, so she's just skin and bones now.
My dad thinks he needs to keep everything from my brother and myself, so we really don't know what's going on. I did read my mum's notes while my dad was out and found he had signed a DNR.
I have no idea how long my mum has left, but am I right to assume it's only going to be a matter of days because she has the syringe driver fitted?
Sorry for going on a bit, just needed to explain and get some advice really.
Thanks xx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

I'm sorry you've found us under such sad circumstances. A syringe driver is used for end of life care.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello loulou73
I'm glad you found TP to ask your questions and share your concerns at this time - I hope it helps to share
maybe gently let your dad know that you do understand the situation; he may relax to know that you know how things are, though he maybe needs to keep it all in to cope himself
I'm sure he very much appreciates that you are there for them both
very best wishes to all your family

Last edited:

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hi,
my mum was diagnosed with dementia (vascular) about 12 months ago - she's now 71. She has been in and out of hospital for the last 12 months and is still at home (my dad doesn't want her to go into care). My dad looks after her full time, but has carers going in to turn her and change her 4 times a day. She has been completely bed bound (not even able to sit up or move) for about 9 months. My dad has had Marie Curie nurses sitting with her at night occasionally, just so he can get some rest, as my mum is agitated all the time.
Last Monday, the district nurses fitted a syringe drive to make her more comfortable, but they have been upping the medication each day as she is so bad.
I sat with her on Saturday so my dad could nip out to get her prescription and she just cried out most of the time I was there. She swears an awful lot too (she never used to!) in fact, that's about the only thing she does say!! She hardly drinks and occasionally has a tiny bit of yoghurt, so she's just skin and bones now.
My dad thinks he needs to keep everything from my brother and myself, so we really don't know what's going on. I did read my mum's notes while my dad was out and found he had signed a DNR.
I have no idea how long my mum has left, but am I right to assume it's only going to be a matter of days because she has the syringe driver fitted?
Sorry for going on a bit, just needed to explain and get some advice really.
Thanks xx

Thinking of you today. Your time with your mother is almost over. I agree with the others. It might help your father to know it's okay, that you know what's happening now, and you love him and want to help. I hope your brother gets there to be there for support, too. Hard times. Sorry.

loulou73

May 2, 2016
Thank you all so much. It's terribly sad to see such a bright and beautiful person ravaged by such a horrible illness. Each day the district nurses have been upping her medication but it's not having much effect on her agitation. The doctor is coming tomorrow with a macmillan nurse (she had breast cancer 2 years ago) to look at the medication and look at extra or alternatives. X

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Thank you all so much. It's terribly sad to see such a bright and beautiful person ravaged by such a horrible illness. Each day the district nurses have been upping her medication but it's not having much effect on her agitation. The doctor is coming tomorrow with a macmillan nurse (she had breast cancer 2 years ago) to look at the medication and look at extra or alternatives. X

Nice that a doctor is coming out to check on things. My mother was very agitated at the end. It was most painful to be there with her and not be able to do anything but hold her hand. I tried singing to her, but it didn't work to calm her. Might be worth a try, though. My heart goes out to you. It's probably not much longer.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My Mum was also restless and agitated. The last time she was awake I told her it was OK to sleep if she was tired, that I would be OK, and that I would always look after her. She went to sleep and was very peaceful after that.

She may be worrying about you and your Dad. Talking cant do any harm. So sorry you are at this point as it is very hard. Holding your hand.
X
Quilty

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When my MIL was at the end we played her favourite CDs which seemed to help.
Holding your hand during this period
(((hugs)))

loulou73

May 2, 2016
Spent time with my mum again tonight. They are debating taking out the syringe drive as they're not sure it's doing much. They're looking at changing the medication for her agitation as it's not helping at all. My dad has been asked again tonight about taking my mum into the hospice. He said she won't go as she's aware of what's going on.
I'm not coping very well and had to see the doc today. She wanted to sign me off from work but I wouldn't. In the end my boss sent me home and refused to let me teach so the decision has been made for me.
My poor dad got so frustrated tonight with my mum. He said she'd just been crying and shouting out all day. I'm worried for him too looking after her. X

loulou73

May 2, 2016
Thanks for the advice about singing. I'm going to try and find the words to a lullaby my grandad used to sing. X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086