Any ideas for a rummage/memory box that is safe for a care home?

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
My Dad is due to go into a CH tomorrow and i want to give him something to fiddle with/rummage to keep him occupied.
Any ideas of what is safe to put in it? He used to be a driving instructor and chef during his career. He also likes gardening.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im doing a similar thing for a man in a CH on a DIY theme.
You have to be careful not to put in anything that has a sharp edge or anything that could possibly used as a weapon. Just to give you an idea I have bought a plastic box of the sort that men actually use as a tool box and and so far have filled it with realistic looking plastic tools, wing nuts, a folding wooden rule and brightly coloured plastic wall plugs.

What about plastic/wood gardening "tools" like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Esschert-D...=1461866315&sr=8-48&keywords=garden+tools+toy. Add empty seed packets, small plastic flower pots and a small plastic dibber.
For the cheffy stuff - how about a wooden spoon, plastic spatula or icing bag.
Its worth looking at gardening centres and kitchen shops and look at things with an eye to - is it safe? is it small enough to fit? Realistic childrens toys work quite well.

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Great ideas thanks! He will like the chef ideas I'll look through some of the children's toys.
I thought about a toy car and highway code for the driving stimulus.
Should i make one big box of everything he liked or separate ones?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I don't know if this will work but it is brilliant

Attachments

• tool tray.jpg
    tool tray.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,496

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Great ideas thanks! He will like the chef ideas I'll look through some of the children's toys.
I thought about a toy car and highway code for the driving stimulus.
Should i make one big box of everything he liked or separate ones?

Definitely Highway Code. How about magazines on cars / food? Favourite things? My OH likes small smooth stones from seaside. ( small and light ) photoes?

Aisling xx

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Is this what i have to look forward to? Having a toybox to play with??

No offence to anyone but does it really come to this?

It's not a 'toy box' its to help jog memories and reminise about things they enjoyed. That's how i look at it!

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
There are lots of things about to help with reminiscence :) you could try buying a pack of reminiscence scent cards? You can get them with smells like lavender and fresh cut grass which are quite nice!

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
There are lots of things about to help with reminiscence :) you could try buying a pack of reminiscence scent cards? You can get them with smells like lavender and fresh cut grass which are quite nice!

Thanks for that ☺

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95